Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 531108 times)

mindme, Muriel and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11205 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens with my 8yo daughter, while she clutched her beloved Rey action figure and yelled with delight at all the exciting parts.  It was the best movie watching experience I have ever had in my life.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11206 on: December 03, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
Smokin' Aces (5/10) - Vegas magician agrees to testify against to mob and a hit is put out on him. Hilarity ensues as all the wouldbe assassins kill each other.  Not a bad cast but falls flat in making you care about any of the characters.

Bonus mark for Chris Pine as a coked out neo nazis.
Bonus points for an actor I went to highschool with, only impressive to the simple minded who know my class was 99 people.   

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11207 on: December 03, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
I saw a lot of movies these last few weeks:

Venom (2018): Guy gets an alien symbiote that likes to ear people's heads. Fun stupid action flick. Might have the longest Visual Effects Artist listing in the credits that I have ever seen. 7/10

Thank you for sitting through the credits  ;D I heard they were long too.

I have not had a chance to see the film but it comes out on DD on the 11th.  I'm hoping to hear from some of the  .. ahem... more opinionated superhero fans soon.

Of course our portion is very small compared to the full crews work but I'm quite proud of one scene that I worked pretty hard on (as did my team) I will wait till a few more people see it before I talk about it.
My review is around here somewhere.
TL:DR- I didnt connect with the script, the acting and the pacing, but I thought the VFX were awesome. Shame you werent allowed to flex into the gore a bit.
Im getting very sick of Tom Hardy.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11208 on: December 08, 2018, 08:21:38 PM »
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 10/10

Really fun and enjoyable animated movie with really likeable characters and a plot that certainly can not be accused of laziness or following superhero stereotypes!
So many easter eggs and blink and you miss it clues and gags. The animation style is constantly keeping you on your toes and shifting to communicate different feelings.

Please go and see this so it gets a sequel!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11209 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
Can't wait to rent it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11210 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »
Can't wait to rent it.
Hopefully its available soon! I think you will like it!

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11211 on: December 09, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »
The Meg. 6/10. Jaws on crack. Jason Statham being himself. Don’t expect anything remotely plausible.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11212 on: December 09, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »

Really fun and enjoyable animated movie with really likeable characters and a plot that certainly can not be accused of laziness or following superhero stereotypes!
So many easter eggs and blink and you miss it clues and gags. The animation style is constantly keeping you on your toes and shifting to communicate different feelings.

Just watched the trailer
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11213 on: December 09, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Just watched the Coen brothers' The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Superb.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11214 on: December 09, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »

Lost me after the colon. There is only one Spider-man and his name is Peter Parker. This "spider-verse" multiple spider-people crap is what ruined the comics and I hate seeing it spread into other media.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11215 on: December 09, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »
The Meg. 6/10. Jaws on crack. Jason Statham being himself. Don’t expect anything remotely plausible.
It were funny! The scene with the little girl and the meg had me thinking about "Finding Nemo".  :D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11216 on: December 10, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »

Lost me after the colon. There is only one Spider-man and his name is Peter Parker. This "spider-verse" multiple spider-people crap is what ruined the comics and I hate seeing it spread into other media.
Welp, you are missing out
I agree that the comics got pretty silly and there is a big aspect of silliness in this movie (Peter Porker dropping an anvil on a bad guy for example) but in large part its a love letter to the peaks and valleys that have been part of the spider-man mythos since it began.
On top of that, Miles Morales is a character who is pretty much impossible not to like and root for.
Before the most recent batch of spiderfolks we have had loads of non Peter Parker spidemen for decades. Miguel O'Hara of 2099 is my personal favourite, but Ben Reilly and Caine turned into great characters in their own rights too.

I know what its like to have a thing you love ruined in your own eyes though. Giving Batman a son who becomes Robin killed those comics for me. It fundementally changes the main character.
But Peter remains Peter regardless of the existence of Miles or Gwen.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11217 on: December 10, 2018, 06:40:34 AM »
Attack of the Crab Monsters. 1/10 (On Prime) Mysterious happenings on a small Pacific Island. Is it aliens? Is it giant protozoa? Is it rabid blueberry waffles? You won't know until the BIG REVEAL!!!

Kudos to Mr. Mars' fifth grade class for making such believable monsters.

(I saw this on the Late Late Show back in the early Sixties. It was better when stoned.)

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11218 on: December 10, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
Ant Man and the Wasp. 4/10. A confused mess. The Ant Man guy (I don’t even remember the character’s name) is not even likeable. He’s just annoying. Further, while I can suspend disbelief about the gadget that makes people and things change size in an eye blink, because it’s a comic book movie, I cannot suspend disbelief about going down to the quantum realm. The quantum realm is the size scale where things are at or near the smallest possible size. There’s no such thing as “smaller than the Plank length,” yet for people to shrink down that far and still be people, their component atoms must be a gazillionth of the size of the Plank length. This pretty much ruins it for me. I expect I’m the only one who feels this way, since I seem to be the only one who cannot suspend disbelief about FTL travel (another meaningless phrase in sci-fi).
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11219 on: December 10, 2018, 10:02:25 AM »
You should avoid SciFi in any form. Just sayin'.