Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 597081 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11430 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
Captain marvel 7/10

The most marvel Marvel movie.
Its very much phase 1 standard, it ticks along and keeps you amused but doesnt hold up when you stop to think about it.
I enjoyed the part where we find out more about what drives Carol forward. The thing I loved about it that many people might hate was that there is no narrative reason for her to be so driven, its just who she is, its in her to never question why she keeps getting back up. That really hit me hard emotionally and jives much better with my view of why certain people are that way.

There are some neat surprises and some things that are very unsatisfying but I really liked it.

Definitely not the sort of movie for anyone who isnt sold on superheroes, there isnt enough extra in here to sway that view and Nick Fury is too far removed from being any sort of badass for my liking.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11431 on: March 13, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
Avengers: Infinity War 5.5/10
Finally watched it. My main problem is that there was way too much going on in a single movie. It could have been two or even three movies based on the amount of shit that happened in the movie. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11432 on: March 13, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
Captain Marvel 7/10

I mostly agree with Harry. I never felt any jeopardy, which is not surprising given the way the movie is situated in the overall narrative. I think I will show this to my daughter before she sees Inifinity War.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11433 on: March 15, 2019, 06:59:09 PM »
Triple Frontier (2019): Pretty good action thriller. A team of ex-special forces guys are hired to come up with a plan and do reconnaissance to take down a druglord somewhere in Colombia(?).
(click to show/hide)
The tone is a bit dark at times, though not as dark as say, Sicario, and also less overtly politicized. It's not overly complex, but it's interesting enough, and it looks good. 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11434 on: March 16, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
Apollo 11 - 7/10

I brought my kids.  It held their interest for about 45 minutes, then it got pretty excruciating.  I had seen most of the events before, if not in footage of quite such quality. After a while I found myself looking more sociologically than the scientifically, and judging it rather harshly for its whiteness and malenes.  To be honest, I had a hard time relating to the events because of it.

It was nice to see the launch on the big screen with a powerful sound system.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11435 on: March 17, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
Sorcerer (1977) - 9/10.

If you're in the mood for bleak, this is your film.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11436 on: March 17, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
Apollo 11 - 7/10

I brought my kids.  It held their interest for about 45 minutes, then it got pretty excruciating.  I had seen most of the events before, if not in footage of quite such quality. After a while I found myself looking more sociologically than the scientifically, and judging it rather harshly for its whiteness and malenes.  To be honest, I had a hard time relating to the events because of it.

8.5 / 10

Of course they're all white males.  It was the 60s. 

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11437 on: March 17, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018) - 10/10

A transformative experience.  I had to watch the film twice, because on first viewing I assumed that much of the film comprised reenactments.  After learning that the entire film comprised original footage that had been transformed using state-of-the-art technology, I had to watch it again.  It is amazing to see footage of WWI like this.  It looks as if it were filmed yesterday, and it has an indescribable humanizing effect.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11438 on: March 17, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
Apollo 11 - 7/10

8.5 / 10

Of course they're all white males.  It was the 60s. 

I do not fault the movie for it; I was merely commenting on my observations and personal reaction to them which I admit was a bit distracting.

The film itself was well put-together, but as a bare documentary of events I’ve seen before with nothing of its own to say I found it merely good and not great.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11439 on: March 18, 2019, 08:00:57 AM »
Sorcerer (1977) - 9/10.

I believe that movie had the honor of opening the same weekend as Star Wars.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11440 on: March 18, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Sorcerer (1977) - 9/10.

I believe that movie had the honor of opening the same weekend as Star Wars.

Maybe that’s why I had never heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11441 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
Captain Marvel 6/10

It is OK. Nothing is particularly wrong with it, but nothing is particularly great either.

It really feels like an Ant Man-esque filler, which is a bit concerning, because Carol Danvers is supposed to become one of the main anchors of the post-Endgame MCU. At this stage, I don't feel they established her as well as they did with Iron Man or Captain America.

It is not a fault, but I found the main sequel hook rather puzzling. The secondary one that tied her into Endgame was perfectly OK. But the other one would require another jump back into a marginal intergalactic conflict, and I am not sure what would be the point of that. I guess we'll see.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11442 on: March 18, 2019, 04:05:00 PM »
Sorcerer (1977) - 9/10.

Terrific movie with a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. Quite frankly a much better movie than Star Wars (mentioned below)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11443 on: March 18, 2019, 05:24:44 PM »
Sorcerer (1977) - 9/10.

Terrific movie with a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. Quite frankly a much better movie than Star Wars (mentioned below)

I have some vague memory about the movie and Roy Scheider getting shafted on account of the timing of the release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11444 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:31 AM »
Sorry, Sorcerer opened a month after Star Wars initial release but by the time it came out, Star Wars mania was in full swing.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain
personate-rain