Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 621950 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11595 on: April 15, 2019, 02:34:59 AM »
I guess that since I never get other people's jokes, it's only fair that other folks don't get my attempt at being silly.  :-\

Given your frequent self-profession of ignorance of contemporary popular culture, you will have to forgive my assuming that you were unaware of the reboot.

I was completely unaware of it. But I got it from the context that there is a new one.

That's definitely going on my Netflix queue.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11596 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Saving Mr. Banks 2013
6.5/10
This is an account of the author PL Travers and her reluctance to see her Mary Poppins character made into a film.
She is a tricky character, seems to never want to be pleased by anything. She has an uncompromising disdain for Walt Disney and the product he creates.
While I have long been of the mind that Disney movies, etc can be overly saccharine, I had to in many ways side with Mr. Disney's perspective. Despite several faults, there can be no denying the quality of the work that came from his studio.
The movie delves into her background which had several hardships and it seems to work hard to force a somewhat happy ending.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11597 on: April 16, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
I guess that since I never get other people's jokes, it's only fair that other folks don't get my attempt at being silly.  :-\

Given your frequent self-profession of ignorance of contemporary popular culture, you will have to forgive my assuming that you were unaware of the reboot.

I was completely unaware of it. But I got it from the context that there is a new one.

That's definitely going on my Netflix queue.
The goddess plays a sorceress?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11598 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »

Now this reference I do not get at all. Is this related to the new Hellboy movie somehow?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11599 on: April 17, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »

Now this reference I do not get at all. Is this related to the new Hellboy movie somehow?
Yep. Milla Jovovich plays the "5th Century sorceress." Been a fan since "5th Element".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11600 on: April 17, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
pride and prejudice and zombies.
6.5 / 10
Watchable but hard not to feel like they had something here and blew it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11601 on: April 17, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
6.5 / 10

I read P&P way back in school and found it deathly dull. The idea of putting the characters from a dull book into a zombie-infested world strikes me as kind of silly. But I seem to remember enjoying the movie as long as I could ignore the fact that the characters in the movie were supposed to be the people from the book.

I seem to remember liking this one more than the one with Abraham Lincoln.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11602 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:29 AM »
6.5 / 10

I seem to remember liking this one more than the one with Abraham Lincoln.
agreed, that one bored me to death.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11603 on: April 17, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »
Those movies/books remind me of the Onion, the title/headline is the joke, the rest is just filler.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11604 on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
The idea of putting the characters from a dull book into a zombie-infested world strikes me as kind of silly.
Well duh.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11605 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
6.5 / 10

Out of all the adaptations of P&P&Z, the audiobook was the best format.  The narrator was a proper stuffy British lady, and the way she lingered on the pronunciation of "ninja" was an auditory delight.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11606 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
The idea of putting the characters from a dull book into a zombie-infested world strikes me as kind of silly.
Well duh.
Kind of the point isn't it?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11607 on: April 17, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
Well duh.
Kind of the point isn't it?
A cousin complained about the quality of the recent season of "The Walking Dead."  :D

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11608 on: April 17, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
6.5 / 10

Out of all the adaptations of P&P&Z, the audiobook was the best format.  The narrator was a proper stuffy British lady, and the way she lingered on the pronunciation of "ninja" was an auditory delight.

I very much enjoyed that reading. I had a lot of fun with the movie too.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11609 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »
P & P & Z was the rare movie that would have been better with a smaller budget.

personate-rain