Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 678120 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11610 on: April 19, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »
The Incredibles 2 7/10

Kinda glad I missed this at the cinema, even though I was kicking myself at the time.
I thought the two parents were poorly cast (How did that not bother me in the original?!) and out done by all the great voice talent (professional voice actors will usually be better than less experienced ones I guess? Sam Jackson and Saul Goodman were great though).
I didnt find the story interesting and would have preferred a bit more of a straight superhero story than another ""why wont the government let us be great?!" thing that they did already.
Most of the film just wasnt really fun unless the kids were on screen (at which point I loved it, especially the whole sequence on the ship).
It took me three sittings to get through which is not great, but I can see a lot in there that people would love.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11611 on: April 19, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
"Jack-Jack vs. the trash panda" was worth the price of admission alone.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11612 on: April 19, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »
How To Train Your Dragon 3: Hidden World 9/10

I loved the animation, was impressed with the writing, and quite satisfied with the conclusion of the movie and the series overall. I liked it more than part 2. Well worth seeing.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11613 on: April 19, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

I loved the animation, was impressed with the writing, and quite satisfied with the conclusion of the movie and the series overall. I liked it more than part 2. Well worth seeing.
I couldn't get to the theaters when it was playing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11614 on: April 20, 2019, 01:06:52 AM »
Couldn't see your image, but I assume the filename "banghead.gif" is relevant. :)

It's gonna be fine on a smaller screen, especially with good sound. This one has very good action pieces, but the best parts are all character.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11615 on: April 20, 2019, 01:41:27 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11616 on: April 20, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11617 on: April 20, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Couldn't see your image, but I assume the filename "banghead.gif" is relevant. :)

It's gonna be fine on a smaller screen, especially with good sound. This one has very good action pieces, but the best parts are all character.
If they don't stop taking my laptop I'll be fine.  >:(

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11618 on: April 20, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
Shazam (8.5/10)

I usually grade movies based on deductions from 10. In this case I can't point to any really specific problems that lost it points. I had a good time in the theatre, enjoyed the acting and story, and found all of it believable enough. Well worth seeing. About as good as Aquaman, not quite as good as Wonder Woman.

...In Spain is Aquaman named "Waterhombre"?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11619 on: April 20, 2019, 09:05:35 PM »
Shazam (8.5/10)

I usually grade movies based on deductions from 10. In this case I can't point to any really specific problems that lost it points. I had a good time in the theatre, enjoyed the acting and story, and found all of it believable enough. Well worth seeing. About as good as Aquaman, not quite as good as Wonder Woman.

Turns out that he was actually an American enlisted man at one point. But they decided not to go with "Aquamarine".

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11620 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »

Nope. It's actually called Aquaman. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477834/releaseinfo#akas

I'd have translated it literally as Hombre de Agua. Or less literally as Hombre Pescado (Fishman). The movie Home Alone was shown in Mexico as Mi Pobre Angelito (My poor little angel). And To Wong Fu was shown as Reys o Reinas? (Kings or Queens?). But it appears that in Spain the title of Aquaman was not changed.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #11621 on: April 21, 2019, 04:15:19 AM »
Spiderman into the Spider-verse 10/10

Finally a great Spiderman movie.  8) As much as I have loved, most of, the Marvel action films, I'd rate this above all of them.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11622 on: April 21, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »
"Homecoming"? Not as whiny as previous versions.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11623 on: April 25, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
Arctic (2018): A man stranded in the Arctic after a plane crash tries to make his way to a seasonal lodge on foot, dragging behind him a woman who he rescued after her helicopter crashed while trying to save him. The movie is gorgeous and the acting (Mads Mikkelsen mainly since the woman is barely conscious throughout the movie) is fantastic. There is almost no spoken dialogue, and the movie is quite slow (which I personally don't mind). If you like "man versus wild" stuff, give this one a try. 8.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11624 on: April 25, 2019, 09:45:54 PM »
Avengers:Endgame 10/10 on first viewing.

This is an astonishing work of storytelling. I'll be seeing it again in IMAX I think.

personate-rain
personate-rain