Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 698507 times)

Harry Black, Neutral Milk (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12105 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
Carrying on from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Star Trek VII-X.

Spoiler
Star Trek: Generations

Once again, there are no starships near Earth other than one that's not finished yet.

"The Picard who fought at Trafalgar". Which side?

Picard's familial concerns come off as quite shallow. Is it the genetic replications, or the family name that he's most concerned about? Would he not be crying over his brother and nephew dying, if there had been another Picard family?

Data's turned into Kryten.

It takes far too long for them to return fire. The photon torpedo was traveling slow enough that the Enterprise could've hit them with phasers before it reached them.

If a single (quite broad) hertz figure is enough to penetrate the shield, shouldn't the frequency instantly change if the shield's penetrated? Or continually change regardless. Is Starfleet not aware of this flaw, that this apparently outdated Klingon ship can readily take advantage of? La Forge has modified the shields before, and they've exploited shield flaws in older Starfleet ships, so it's not like this is some dramatically innovate attack.

What happened to beaming during the evacuation?

Gah. The Nexus is full of creepy children.

He's really throwing away the element of surprise there. Why not at least go back to before Soren beams down, and punch him in the throat the moment he materializes? If you can't think of any moment earlier in time where you could've done something differently. Like before your brother and nephew died in a fire. And then tell Data about Soren, not to push Crusher, and to wait with the emotion chip until later.

Dragged out and mundane action sequences are not what I'm watching this for.

I liked the movie up to a point, but there's a lot of content that could've been cut without reducing the quality of it. And it's annoying when they take shortcuts to set up the stuff that they then spend far too much time on.

Kirk and Picard, fine, get them together. But if all you're going to do is have them say cheesy lines and crawl up and down rocks? No. If you want to destroy the Enterprise, don't make me not care by having them taken out by a Klingon clunker. It didn't have to be an outdated ship that attacked them. Or a single ship. And why is the Enterprise the only ones from Starfleet on the scene, when someone's blowing up star systems?

How is it that Soren needed to do all this, when apparently all it took to get into the Nexus was to stand in its path?

Given that this happens after "All Good Things", and that the Enterprise D originally lasted long enough for Admiral Riker to sit in the chair, did Picard create the Nexus during that episode? Or did Soren succeed in the alternate timeline where Picard hadn't created the time distortion yet, while the Duras sisters still failed somehow?

Star Trek: First Contact

Ramming speed, how useful is it? Is it just suicide, or would it be a lot better for them to have a way of automatically ramming ships without risking the crew?

The Federation is 8000 light years across, okay.

Good movie. Not great. In particular, I didn't like how they emphasized the horror aspects, and the audio volume was too variable. But it's closer to what I'd expect from a TNG movie. I may also have watched this before. I remembered the first contact part of it.

Star Trek: Insurrection

Isn't everyone vegetarian with replicators?

Once again Picard is very English.

How small is that planet, if your first option wouldn't be to settle somewhere far away from that village? Study whatever's going on while living in the environment you desire.

Abandoning the Enterprise in favor of becoming foot soldiers? Whatever you do to protect yourself, they can attack you from orbit.

I liked the movie up until this point. But I was wondering how they would still have a story for the rest of the movie, when they solved the initial conundrum quickly and the overall issue seemed pretty easy to deal with. There's just this one Admiral in your way (plus an alien ship of unknown strength, but if they need this Admiral's assistance, they can't be that tough), who couldn't even keep his undercover officers from being rounded up by Data. And then they opt for risking everyone's lives by becoming a guerrilla, instead of simply disobeying unethical orders.

Why make such a big deal out of face stretching? What does that have to do with physical health?

How is there a dense cluster of gas not in a gravity well, which is more powerful than the Enterprise's weapons?

Star Trek: Nemesis

Apparently this is the worst one, so how is it going to bottom Generations and Insurrection?

There's an ion storm that makes teleportation get out of the way of the plot inadvisable. But despite the local conditions, there's a partially buried android that gives off enough radiation to be detected from outside of the star system, and that's safe to bring with you?

This time it was Picard who almost got three of them killed, because he wanted to go on a joyride.

A people who prefer low light conditions, that's convenient for cinematography.

The Enterprise just hanging out next to their multi-generational enemy, with the shields down.

Up until this point, it's not a terrible movie. But it's not that enticing, either. Along with the other movies, it's more like a fan-made story than something that continues on from TNG. This Picard character could've been replaced by a clone already, with how different he is.

They could probably have destroyed that ship from the inside, once they had the means to blast through walls. Not taking advantage of that is going to detract from the plot that follows. And why didn't the Enterprise immediately detect them once they started blasting, or when they disrupted the cloak?

Once you can beam to the other's ship, once you have intruders on your ship, why aren't you beaming your enemies into space? And why are you knowingly flying into something that disrupts communication?

Apparently ramming is the most powerful weapon they have. Why isn't Starfleet building a bunch of space battle rams, then?

You're wedged to another ship in space. What is holding the other ship in place to allow you to reverse away from it?

Again with the falling bridges.

Again with Picard running around with guns and fists. The race bred for war fall to the ground around him (the gravity still works), but then he struggles to fend off his sickly clone. This actually feels more like Mr. Bean than TNG. Throwing any random shit together to see what happens.

Meh.
[close]

Generations. Crap.

First Contact. Good.

Insurrection. Crap.

Nemesis. Crap.

If you want to watch some fantastic critiques of these films, I suggest you check out the Plinkett reviews from Red Letter Media.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlRg7cW0DLPZVyuFqqxA-PKdDbzo_GZ-L

Plinkett really lost his mojo after the starwars reviews.

I'm not sure he's ever done anything quite as good and revolutionary as the Episode 1 review, but I would disagree if you're implying his other reviews aren't solid and insightful.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:32 am »
Carrying on from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Star Trek VII-X.

Spoiler
Star Trek: Generations

Once again, there are no starships near Earth other than one that's not finished yet.

"The Picard who fought at Trafalgar". Which side?

Picard's familial concerns come off as quite shallow. Is it the genetic replications, or the family name that he's most concerned about? Would he not be crying over his brother and nephew dying, if there had been another Picard family?

Data's turned into Kryten.

It takes far too long for them to return fire. The photon torpedo was traveling slow enough that the Enterprise could've hit them with phasers before it reached them.

If a single (quite broad) hertz figure is enough to penetrate the shield, shouldn't the frequency instantly change if the shield's penetrated? Or continually change regardless. Is Starfleet not aware of this flaw, that this apparently outdated Klingon ship can readily take advantage of? La Forge has modified the shields before, and they've exploited shield flaws in older Starfleet ships, so it's not like this is some dramatically innovate attack.

What happened to beaming during the evacuation?

Gah. The Nexus is full of creepy children.

He's really throwing away the element of surprise there. Why not at least go back to before Soren beams down, and punch him in the throat the moment he materializes? If you can't think of any moment earlier in time where you could've done something differently. Like before your brother and nephew died in a fire. And then tell Data about Soren, not to push Crusher, and to wait with the emotion chip until later.

Dragged out and mundane action sequences are not what I'm watching this for.

I liked the movie up to a point, but there's a lot of content that could've been cut without reducing the quality of it. And it's annoying when they take shortcuts to set up the stuff that they then spend far too much time on.

Kirk and Picard, fine, get them together. But if all you're going to do is have them say cheesy lines and crawl up and down rocks? No. If you want to destroy the Enterprise, don't make me not care by having them taken out by a Klingon clunker. It didn't have to be an outdated ship that attacked them. Or a single ship. And why is the Enterprise the only ones from Starfleet on the scene, when someone's blowing up star systems?

How is it that Soren needed to do all this, when apparently all it took to get into the Nexus was to stand in its path?

Given that this happens after "All Good Things", and that the Enterprise D originally lasted long enough for Admiral Riker to sit in the chair, did Picard create the Nexus during that episode? Or did Soren succeed in the alternate timeline where Picard hadn't created the time distortion yet, while the Duras sisters still failed somehow?

Star Trek: First Contact

Ramming speed, how useful is it? Is it just suicide, or would it be a lot better for them to have a way of automatically ramming ships without risking the crew?

The Federation is 8000 light years across, okay.

Good movie. Not great. In particular, I didn't like how they emphasized the horror aspects, and the audio volume was too variable. But it's closer to what I'd expect from a TNG movie. I may also have watched this before. I remembered the first contact part of it.

Star Trek: Insurrection

Isn't everyone vegetarian with replicators?

Once again Picard is very English.

How small is that planet, if your first option wouldn't be to settle somewhere far away from that village? Study whatever's going on while living in the environment you desire.

Abandoning the Enterprise in favor of becoming foot soldiers? Whatever you do to protect yourself, they can attack you from orbit.

I liked the movie up until this point. But I was wondering how they would still have a story for the rest of the movie, when they solved the initial conundrum quickly and the overall issue seemed pretty easy to deal with. There's just this one Admiral in your way (plus an alien ship of unknown strength, but if they need this Admiral's assistance, they can't be that tough), who couldn't even keep his undercover officers from being rounded up by Data. And then they opt for risking everyone's lives by becoming a guerrilla, instead of simply disobeying unethical orders.

Why make such a big deal out of face stretching? What does that have to do with physical health?

How is there a dense cluster of gas not in a gravity well, which is more powerful than the Enterprise's weapons?

Star Trek: Nemesis

Apparently this is the worst one, so how is it going to bottom Generations and Insurrection?

There's an ion storm that makes teleportation get out of the way of the plot inadvisable. But despite the local conditions, there's a partially buried android that gives off enough radiation to be detected from outside of the star system, and that's safe to bring with you?

This time it was Picard who almost got three of them killed, because he wanted to go on a joyride.

A people who prefer low light conditions, that's convenient for cinematography.

The Enterprise just hanging out next to their multi-generational enemy, with the shields down.

Up until this point, it's not a terrible movie. But it's not that enticing, either. Along with the other movies, it's more like a fan-made story than something that continues on from TNG. This Picard character could've been replaced by a clone already, with how different he is.

They could probably have destroyed that ship from the inside, once they had the means to blast through walls. Not taking advantage of that is going to detract from the plot that follows. And why didn't the Enterprise immediately detect them once they started blasting, or when they disrupted the cloak?

Once you can beam to the other's ship, once you have intruders on your ship, why aren't you beaming your enemies into space? And why are you knowingly flying into something that disrupts communication?

Apparently ramming is the most powerful weapon they have. Why isn't Starfleet building a bunch of space battle rams, then?

You're wedged to another ship in space. What is holding the other ship in place to allow you to reverse away from it?

Again with the falling bridges.

Again with Picard running around with guns and fists. The race bred for war fall to the ground around him (the gravity still works), but then he struggles to fend off his sickly clone. This actually feels more like Mr. Bean than TNG. Throwing any random shit together to see what happens.

Meh.
[close]

Generations. Crap.

First Contact. Good.

Insurrection. Crap.

Nemesis. Crap.

If you want to watch some fantastic critiques of these films, I suggest you check out the Plinkett reviews from Red Letter Media.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlRg7cW0DLPZVyuFqqxA-PKdDbzo_GZ-L

Plinkett really lost his mojo after the starwars reviews.

I'm not sure he's ever done anything quite as good and revolutionary as the Episode 1 review, but I would disagree if you're implying his other reviews aren't solid and insightful.

Nah he's just phoning it in now.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:03 pm »
I started to find the schtick of being able to remember barely any plot or character details from the movie he watched to be very irritating after a while. With one or two films it was charming but he seemed to be barely watching anything and showing up to say how little he gave a shit.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: September 19, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
Meh. Agree to disagree I guess. I liked all his Trek reviews.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: September 19, 2019, 06:46:03 pm »
Meh. Agree to disagree I guess. I liked all his Trek reviews.
I never watched those to be fair.
But I was a big fan for ages, I wouldnt begrudge anyone their enjoyment!
Their production value has always massively impressed me.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:34 pm »
Avengers: Endgame. 3/10. Finally came out on disc. I had low expectations and it fell short of even those. It was a jumbled and confused mess. I recognized some of the characters, but there were many I did not recognize. Of course, the time-travel thing was bound to take a couple of stars off it for me.

Spoiler

Where was Captain Marvell for most of the big battle? And did she die when Thanos hit her while holding one of the stones? The most gorgeous actress in the movie (Karen Gillan) is in so much robot makeup that she's completely wasted. At least we get to see Scarlett Johansson. And Captain America got to marry his girlfriend. Though that leaves the question of what became of Thor's hammer, that Cap took with him?
[close]

I think I could have written a better sequel to the Infinity War movie.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: September 20, 2019, 01:09:54 am »
Endgame worked for me for two reasons despite being massively inferior to Infinity War. It hit all the emotional notes a film like this should have and the final act was fantastic to watch.  For me at least, despite its flaws those things make me want to watch the movie repeatedly and that's a lot more than I can say for a number of other Marvel movies which may have been structurally more sound.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12112 on: September 20, 2019, 05:30:27 am »
Avengers: Endgame. 3/10. Finally came out on disc. I had low expectations and it fell short of even those. It was a jumbled and confused mess. I recognized some of the characters, but there were many I did not recognize. Of course, the time-travel thing was bound to take a couple of stars off it for me.

Spoiler

Where was Captain Marvell for most of the big battle? And did she die when Thanos hit her while holding one of the stones? The most gorgeous actress in the movie (Karen Gillan) is in so much robot makeup that she's completely wasted. At least we get to see Scarlett Johansson. And Captain America got to marry his girlfriend. Though that leaves the question of what became of Thor's hammer, that Cap took with him?
[close]

Spoiler
She told Roadie "There are a lot of other planets going through the same things, and they don't have you." (This set up her appearance when she did.) She could have been on the other side of the Universe. And she made it back to Earth about 15(?) minutes or so after Thanos arrived in our timeline. I
[close]

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: September 20, 2019, 09:30:16 am »

Spoiler

[close]

I didn't go so far as giving it a 3 (I reserve numbers less than 5 for total dreck) but I agree that you could have written a better movie.  I think they fell into a common trap I am seeing in more and more movies lately, where subverting expectations is taken so far as to make the plot stupid.  cough *last jedi* cough.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: September 20, 2019, 10:35:28 am »

Spoiler

[close]

Not sure if it needs to be spoilered (are there that many people who haven't seen it yet?)
Spoiler
Cap took Thor's hammer to return it from when they "borrowed" it when they went back in the timeline to 'Thor: The Dark World' and took the Aether from Jane and Mjolnir (which had been destroyed in Thor: Ragnarok)
[close]

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: September 20, 2019, 02:43:32 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

Not sure if it needs to be spoilered (are there that many people who haven't seen it yet?)
Spoiler
Cap took Thor's hammer to return it from when they "borrowed" it when they went back in the timeline to 'Thor: The Dark World' and took the Aether from Jane and Mjolnir (which had been destroyed in Thor: Ragnarok)
[close]

Thanks. I was once called out for not spoilering something about a movie I had assumed everyone had already seen. So I try to err on the side of caution now.

Plus, the movie just now came out on disc. People like me who don't go to theaters only now have the opportunity to see it. I'd wait a month before I'd assume that everyone who wants to see it will have seen it.

Though if they take my advice they won't bother.  ;)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: September 20, 2019, 03:28:08 pm »
I still have like 4 Star Trek series to watch.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: September 20, 2019, 06:39:54 pm »
Sky High
Really fun 2005 superhero movie. Son of famous heroes goes to superhero highschool and starts with the side kicks but gets catapulted to popularity when he discovers his powers.
This movie was really fun and had a really good cast! My first time watching it and I was quite charmed.
Oh wow, that's the Korean one, right? Haven't thought of that in a while, but I remember it fondly.
"Sky High" starred Kurt Russell, IIRC.
Thats the one!

Huh... Looking at some screenshots I'm not actually sure that's a different movie, but for whatever reason my mind just screamed "Korean". I guess I must've watched it back to back with a Korean film once? The mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12118 on: September 20, 2019, 07:00:17 pm »
Sky High
Really fun 2005 superhero movie. Son of famous heroes goes to superhero highschool and starts with the side kicks but gets catapulted to popularity when he discovers his powers.
This movie was really fun and had a really good cast! My first time watching it and I was quite charmed.
Oh wow, that's the Korean one, right? Haven't thought of that in a while, but I remember it fondly.
"Sky High" starred Kurt Russell, IIRC.
Thats the one!

Huh... Looking at some screenshots I'm not actually sure that's a different movie, but for whatever reason my mind just screamed "Korean". I guess I must've watched it back to back with a Korean film once? The mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.
It's two nibble and a bite away from anime.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: September 22, 2019, 06:11:33 pm »
Rambo: Last Blood 6/10
A mean spirited and tone deaf addition to the old man revenge fantasy genre.
Its less a Rambo movie and more Taken starring Rambo and the border wall.
It is the most viscerally violent Rambo movie its also somehow the most shallow despite its voice over monologue at the end and the lingering shots of Stallones craggy face.
The final kill is really fucking stupid and....
Spoiler
its very clear that he needed to get shot for the ending to be suitably dramatic because the way it happened was really fucking stupid also
[close]
Go rewatch Man on Fire instead.
Its a shame, because the first 30min made me think it was going somewhere interesting or fun.

Edit- Maybe go see it if you want to watch a slasher film from the perspective of the monster.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:13:58 pm by Harry Black »