Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 655679 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12180 on: October 11, 2019, 06:31:21 AM »
The Gate  7.5 / 10

I used to love this movie as a kid and I was reminded of it by Stranger Things season 3. This is sort of horror movie intended for younger audiences and isn't that scary by today's standards but it has a lot of charm.  I particularly liked Stephen Dorffs performance as a kid.  He conveys the helplessness of being a kid dealing with something insane really well.  Also the main 3 characters are pretty fleshed out for this kind of movie, which all of them , including the sister, getting some sort of arc.  The practical effects are really great and much scarier than the equivalent CGI might have been.
Have you seen the sequel?

I have not, worth checking out?
At least as corny as the first.  :laugh:
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12181 on: October 11, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
Yeah, I don't really know either way with regards to the screenwriter's comments. The line from the film he's criticizing does seem a bit ridiculous though and while the screenwriter's views might be more nuanced than his comments seem to imply, the comments were a bit silly considering ge's hardly the first anti-war screenwriter of a war film, even if the others didn't succeed in their efforts. Honestly, I find it hard to believe his throwaway line at the end would do much to change similar reactions to this film that he criticized in others.

You're referring to Gene Hackman's line, as a polish general, about the futility of war, and and "Everyone dies."

Given the context of the character (a Polish General who lost most of his army defending his country from the Nazi Blitzkrieg, and who then saw his role in operation Market Garden as a potential suicide mission, which it turned out to be) I think that line is very meaningful.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12182 on: October 11, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »
I seem to recall for A Bridge Too Far the actors who played German soldiers were played mostly by kids of Holocaust survivors. I can find no reference to that on the net. And I might have it confused with another movie, like Patton. That said, I didn't google too hard. Does that ring familiar for anyone?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12183 on: October 11, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »
I seem to recall for A Bridge Too Far the actors who played German soldiers were played mostly by kids of Holocaust survivors. I can find no reference to that on the net. And I might have it confused with another movie, like Patton. That said, I didn't google too hard. Does that ring familiar for anyone?
IIRC Patton was filmed largely in Spain.

Ah, Wiki speaketh thusly: Locations. The film was shot at seventy-one locations in six countries, mostly in Spain. One scene, which depicts Patton driving up to an ancient city that is implied to be Carthage, was shot in the ancient Roman city of Volubilis, Morocco.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12184 on: October 11, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
Downton Abbey (2019): Saw this in theaters today with a few friends. If you like the series (which I did), you will like this. Some of my friends had not seen the series, but they said they also enjoyed it and could follow it well. Basically, it felt like one of the Christmas specials. There was one particularly hilarious scene involving one of the servants accidentally correcting the King and visibly wishing for the earth to swallow him whole. The one downside of all that is that you do basically feel like you're watching a long episode, rather than a feature film, if you care about that sort of thing. All in all I found it very enjoyable. 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #12185 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:46 PM »
Yeah, I don't really know either way with regards to the screenwriter's comments. The line from the film he's criticizing does seem a bit ridiculous though and while the screenwriter's views might be more nuanced than his comments seem to imply, the comments were a bit silly considering ge's hardly the first anti-war screenwriter of a war film, even if the others didn't succeed in their efforts. Honestly, I find it hard to believe his throwaway line at the end would do much to change similar reactions to this film that he criticized in others.

You're referring to Gene Hackman's line, as a polish general, about the futility of war, and and "Everyone dies."

Given the context of the character (a Polish General who lost most of his army defending his country from the Nazi Blitzkrieg, and who then saw his role in operation Market Garden as a potential suicide mission, which it turned out to be) I think that line is very meaningful.

I mean, maybe.  I don't really know enough about him to say for sure one way or the other.  It does seem a bit far-fetched though considering the gravity of what was at stake in WWII.  There have been many senseless wars, but WWII was definitely not one of them in terms of the Allies' involvement. 

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #12186 on: October 11, 2019, 11:20:45 PM »
El Camino - 9.5/10

Not epic by any stretch, no huge twists and turns or massive revelations, but damn was this one fantastic addition to the Breaking Bad universe and was this the perfect way to wrap up Jesse's story.  I have a few nits to pick but nothing that didn't make sense given the state of the world after BB's finale and the character work, cinematography, music, editing, and especially acting was all so spot on that I don't really care.  This is a must watch for any fan of Breaking Bad.

Online CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12187 on: October 12, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
"Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far" are crack for this old military historian. I don't care if they're accurate, they're fun to watch.

I haven't seen the film but about 10 years ago I read that WW2 trilogy  by Cornelius Ryan (the third one was "The Last Battle" about the fall of Berlin).  They were all quite good, but "A Bridge Too Far" was one of the few books I've read that I would have have to stop reading and put it down for a while because the events were so gruesome. Some of the horror could be attributed to the usual vicissitudes of war, some to plain bad luck, but a lot seemed to be unnecessary, the result of poor planning and haste.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12188 on: October 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
I wouldn't use Ryan for a source. (Maybe because I spent fourteen years at Purdue.)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12189 on: October 12, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
The Art of Self-Defense (2019): Dark comedy about a very wimpy guy who starts taking karate after he is mugged. But things are not quite normal at his dojo, and pretty soon things go all kinds of Cobra Kai on steroids. This is one of those movies in which the acting is not aimed at realism but rather quirkiness. All the lines are delivered in a very matter of fact, dry, rigid, neutral tone. Kind of like "The Lobster", though not quite as extreme or as absurd. TBH that aspect felt a bit pretentious, but it does make the movie feel a bit more artsy and unusual than your run-of-the-mill martial arts flick (which given the story it easily could have been). It's definitely not a laugh-out-loud comedy, although there were moments where I chuckled. I liked the ending. Interesting enough for a watch, but I wouldn't need to view it again. I'll give it a 7-/10.
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12190 on: October 12, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Doom: Annihilation 4/10

Just so bad as a movie and a bad adaptation.
Basically a bunch of space marines go to a space lab where a portal to hell has accidentally been opened. Totally wasted premise, the group of marines are all annoying and unconvincing. They shoehorn in most of the classic doom weapons in ways that dont make much sense and so they are just on screen for a few seconds. Kind of a Stan Lee cameo but for guns.
To add insult to injury, one of the dead bodies they find is the actual protagonist of the games.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12191 on: October 12, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
Yeah, I watched that film.  Even for a video game movie, it was dumb.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #12192 on: October 12, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
Catch and Release (2007) 6/10

Eh. Predictable and maudlin. Kevin Smith stole the show. At no point did I feel like Jennifer Garner's character was actually the lead. She was just... there.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12193 on: October 13, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
A Star is Born (2018) - 8/10

Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, and Sam Elliot all gave great performances.  It is interesting how the same film has supported four successful remakes over 8 decades--each tailored to its time.  Something about the concept must be particularly resonant across generations.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12194 on: October 13, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »
A Star is Born (2018) - 8/10

Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, and Sam Elliot all gave great performances.  It is interesting how the same film has supported four successful remakes over 8 decades--each tailored to its time.  Something about the concept must be particularly resonant across generations.
Well, it's no "Rhinestone Cowboy", but...

;D

personate-rain