Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 676746 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12360 on: December 02, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »
The value of live recordings are entirely dependent on the performer.

Some performers thrive while in the moment, reacting to the audience, and have trouble capturing that energy in the studio.
Yep, the rara avis. My personal opinion is that I like live music if I'm there. But live recordings are usually crap. "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" for example.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12361 on: December 02, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
Office Uprising 6/10
Employees at an arms manufacturer get turned into murderous rage monsters and a group of slackers led by a Ferris Bueller type have to try and escape.
It has a few cast members from Titans which should have been a warning signal but overall its not too bad if you just want something in the background while having beers with a friend.
Some well choreographed action.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #12362 on: December 02, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
Gleason
8/10

This was heartwrenching. Former NFL player gets ALS and deteriorates so quickly. It's such a horrible disease.
It's hitting pretty close to home for me, but I think it would be difficult for anyone to watch this and not count their blessings. The faster we find cures or ways to halt this disease the better IMO.
It's also about faith (yuck) and fatherhood. At least his wife is properly pissed off about his father taking him to a faith healer. I wish they would have explored more about the stupidity people glom onto when they lose hope. It isn't that I don't understand, hell if I had ALS I might even try faith healing, I dunno, but a frank discussion of what drove him to it and why it didn't work would have been welcomed.
(click to show/hide)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12363 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
dog eat dog 1/10 I fell asleep and didn't finish it. Don't think i'll go back to see what happens.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12364 on: December 02, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
Happy Death Day. 5/10. Just okay. Not really bad, but kind of dull. I don't really regret the time spent watching it, but I wouldn't recommend it or watch it again.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12365 on: December 03, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
Terminator Dark Fate 7/10

I'd like to say this is the third best Terminator film in the series. If the first two set the bar at say, the height of the Empire State building, this one is a two story house with an attic you could put a teenager in. Terminator Gensys would be a split ranch. The rest would be a kid selling lemonade out of a wagon.

There are some problems with this but it delivers typical Terminator thrills. I didn't even notice until the end this was another all female reboot in the spirit of Ghostbusters and Oceans 8-11. It was a bomb at the box office, certainly. When will studios learn you can't keep trying to bring back hits from 1982. Star Wars is baked into our culture, a love passed down from parent to child in the same manner a parent passes down a love for a local sports team. But Terminator, Alien, and Blade Runner are not cultural standards in the 18-35 movie going crowd. It's like when I was a teen in 1982 and if someone was trying to get me to see a $200 million sequel to the Maltese Falcon I would be like "uhhhhh wut?"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:49:58 AM by mindme »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12366 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »
Blade Runner turned out awesome, though. I don't mind if they bring these franchises back with that level of quality.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12367 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »
Blade Runner turned out awesome, though. I don't mind if they bring these franchises back with that level of quality.

Agreed. I LOVED it but it was a box office failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_2049#Box_office

I blame part of that on it's a movie franchise from a different era.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12368 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10

So the way super hero stories usually go is
movie 1: origin plus learning to be a hero
movie 2:  hero is now established, but the threats only grow bigger, causing hero to have to learn more and grow
movie 3 if you get that far, hero is now world weary and has to overcome enui

With Spiderman in the MCU,  they disrupted this pattern on purpose.  They skip the origin story, and we get a compressed version of movie 2 in Avengers Infinity War. 

Which leads to Far From Home, in which case Spiderman is already at movie three.  This makes sense, but the weary superhero who just wants to be normal for a bit is one of my least favorite tropes.  There is nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it as much as typical movie 2, in which we get to see a hero who is more confident kick ass for a little while before getting in over his head.  Here we have a spiderman who has been through hell and back and just wants to chill.  This makes total sense from a character point of view, but I felt like we don't get to see him really be Spiderman for very long stretches of the movie, and that disappointed me.

The other problem with the movie is that the mid credit scenes really come way  way too late.  There are a few headscratchers that really took me out of the movie which get explained in the end credit scenes, but by that point the movie had already been a bit soured on me.  If they have pushed those scenes into the start of the third act, it would have made the movie hang together much more coherently. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12369 on: December 03, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Why did Tony do that?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12370 on: December 03, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
Why did Tony do that?

(click to show/hide)
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12371 on: December 03, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12372 on: December 03, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10
This movie made it very clear to me who these movies are actually made for. Not me.
The editing and story pace was insane. It lurched and jumped and made very little sense, but if you look at it from the perspective of a teenager glued to their phone, it makes total sense. The Avengers series had a lot of the same problems, but still remained something someone like my dad could follow (mostly), but I don't see him being able to follow this movie at all. It's really filmmaking for a new generation of movie watchers in a way I haven't really seen myself. (though I'm sure there's enough other evidence out there, it's just never touched what I've seen)
I think this answers why 80s sequels won't work anymore, they're just too slow in pondering larger themes to make a blockbuster today.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12373 on: December 03, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10
This movie made it very clear to me who these movies are actually made for. Not me.
The editing and story pace was insane. It lurched and jumped and made very little sense, but if you look at it from the perspective of a teenager glued to their phone, it makes total sense. The Avengers series had a lot of the same problems, but still remained something someone like my dad could follow (mostly), but I don't see him being able to follow this movie at all. It's really filmmaking for a new generation of movie watchers in a way I haven't really seen myself. (though I'm sure there's enough other evidence out there, it's just never touched what I've seen)
I think this answers why 80s sequels won't work anymore, they're just too slow in pondering larger themes to make a blockbuster today.

I don't think this is a movie thing, I think it's a comics thing.  As the mythology of the extended universe continues to build, each movie will make less and less sense in isolation.  This is what drove me away from comics when I was a kid.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12374 on: December 03, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10

I don't think this is a movie thing, I think it's a comics thing.  As the mythology of the extended universe continues to build, each movie will make less and less sense in isolation.  This is what drove me away from comics when I was a kid.
I can see that. That aside though, I was making a point even about the pace of the movie and how it unfolded in kind of a rapid scattershot style. Internally it didn't even really make a lot of sense, but you're left with no time at all to ponder what's happening because they've moved on and pivoted to the next nonsensical crisis. Every aspect of that movie is paper thin (I didn't even think the CGI was well used) even if you know the preceding storyline. It's fine, it's entertaining, and it isn't made for someone that wants the kind of movie experience I want. It's really made to keep teenagers' eyes off their phones at key moments. But honestly, big movies have always been made for teenagers, that will probably never change.

personate-rain
personate-rain