Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 676780 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12375 on: December 03, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10
This movie made it very clear to me who these movies are actually made for. Not me.
The editing and story pace was insane. It lurched and jumped and made very little sense, but if you look at it from the perspective of a teenager glued to their phone, it makes total sense. The Avengers series had a lot of the same problems, but still remained something someone like my dad could follow (mostly), but I don't see him being able to follow this movie at all. It's really filmmaking for a new generation of movie watchers in a way I haven't really seen myself. (though I'm sure there's enough other evidence out there, it's just never touched what I've seen)
I think this answers why 80s sequels won't work anymore, they're just too slow in pondering larger themes to make a blockbuster today.

I don't think this is a movie thing, I think it's a comics thing.  As the mythology of the extended universe continues to build, each movie will make less and less sense in isolation.  This is what drove me away from comics when I was a kid.
I can see that. That aside though, I was making a point even about the pace of the movie and how it unfolded in kind of a rapid scattershot style. Internally it didn't even really make a lot of sense, but you're left with no time at all to ponder what's happening because they've moved on and pivoted to the next nonsensical crisis. Every aspect of that movie is paper thin (I didn't even think the CGI was well used) even if you know the preceding storyline. It's fine, it's entertaining, and it isn't made for someone that wants the kind of movie experience I want. It's really made to keep teenagers' eyes off their phones at key moments. But honestly, big movies have always been made for teenagers, that will probably never change.
You SAY that...but really its just a remake of If Looks Could Kill which made even less sense. Except Peter didnt need special CIA shoes to walk on walls!
And the final showdown was way cooler.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12376 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home
7.5  / 10
This movie made it very clear to me who these movies are actually made for. Not me.
The editing and story pace was insane. It lurched and jumped and made very little sense, but if you look at it from the perspective of a teenager glued to their phone, it makes total sense. The Avengers series had a lot of the same problems, but still remained something someone like my dad could follow (mostly), but I don't see him being able to follow this movie at all. It's really filmmaking for a new generation of movie watchers in a way I haven't really seen myself. (though I'm sure there's enough other evidence out there, it's just never touched what I've seen)
I think this answers why 80s sequels won't work anymore, they're just too slow in pondering larger themes to make a blockbuster today.

I don't think this is a movie thing, I think it's a comics thing.  As the mythology of the extended universe continues to build, each movie will make less and less sense in isolation.  This is what drove me away from comics when I was a kid.
I can see that. That aside though, I was making a point even about the pace of the movie and how it unfolded in kind of a rapid scattershot style. Internally it didn't even really make a lot of sense, but you're left with no time at all to ponder what's happening because they've moved on and pivoted to the next nonsensical crisis. Every aspect of that movie is paper thin (I didn't even think the CGI was well used) even if you know the preceding storyline. It's fine, it's entertaining, and it isn't made for someone that wants the kind of movie experience I want. It's really made to keep teenagers' eyes off their phones at key moments. But honestly, big movies have always been made for teenagers, that will probably never change.
You SAY that...but really its just a remake of If Looks Could Kill which made even less sense. Except Peter didnt need special CIA shoes to walk on walls!
And the final showdown was way cooler.

jeez i have not thought of that movie in a long fucking time,  I loved it as a kid.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12377 on: December 03, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
I rewatched it a few months ago and had a blast!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #12378 on: December 03, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
lol you may have a point there!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12379 on: December 03, 2019, 06:29:21 PM »
The Nightingale (2018): From the director of The Babadook. Irish woman in 1825 Tasmania enlists the help of an Aboriginal tracker to hunt down the soldiers who raped her and murdered her husband and baby. They pursue them through the bush. Very hard to watch at times, and almost everyone in it is awful. The villains mostly stand out because they are completely irredeemable. However the movie itself is quite good, and I haven't seen many films set in this time / place combination, which made it even more interesting. It's a bit lengthy for the story it's trying to tell, but I didn't mind. 8-/10
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:05:30 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12380 on: December 04, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
The Irishman: 3/10

Ploddingly slow but not well-paced. Needlessly long without a story to give it backbone. Geriatric and uninspired. Dialogue is terrible. Starved of action. Scorcese clearly doesn't understand what part of his earlier movies people actually enjoyed.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/go-ahead-and-admit-it-the-irishman-is-terrible/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:55:30 PM by SnarlPatrick »
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #12381 on: December 04, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »

Ploddingly slow but not well-paced. Needlessly long without a story to give it backbone. Geriatric and uninspired. Dialogue is terrible. Starved up action. Scorcese clearly doesn't understand what part of his earlier movies people actually enjoyed.

I can't disagree with any of that. The 3 hours feels like 6  ??? I would have said 5/10

It still wouldn't surprise me if cleans up at the Oscars. Movies don't have to be good to win awards.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12382 on: December 04, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »
Ad Astra (2019): Uhm, what?/10. Like, why are you blowing up Neptune, man? Pretty pictures though. *Jay accent* "Of course I was drunk at the time." But then, my astronomer friends didn't really get it either, and they were sober.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:25:54 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12383 on: December 05, 2019, 07:59:21 AM »

Ploddingly slow but not well-paced. Needlessly long without a story to give it backbone. Geriatric and uninspired. Dialogue is terrible. Starved up action. Scorcese clearly doesn't understand what part of his earlier movies people actually enjoyed.

I couldn't help feel the movie would be better if De Niro wasn't cast in the lead role. The role seemed to need a younger man. And indeed it was about 1 hour too long. Maybe because I'm old but if you sit me down in front of Netflix at 9 pm on a Saturday, I'm going to be asleep 2 hours into anything.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #12384 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »

I can't disagree with any of that. The 3 hours feels like 6  ??? I would have said 5/10

It still wouldn't surprise me if cleans up at the Oscars. Movies don't have to be good to win awards.
I haven't heard any regular folks say anything but this.  I've heard it described as a well made, well acted self indulgent slog, if you want to see any the actors in a gangster movie, watch Good fellas or the Godfather.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12385 on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »
The Irishman
4/10
Not all that good imho.
There are interesting stories being told, but Scorsese seemed disinclined to tell those stories well.
I mean the whole narration thing is USUALLY a good aid/crutch for a director to clarify confusing stories--this time it din't work so well.
Lots of stuff could have been kicked to the side.
The relationship between Frank and his daughter seemed like a desperate attempt to
The rest was a retread of the same ground Scorsese keeps going back to, and did much better in Goodfellas.

That said Pacino did a good job of chewing scenery, and I thought Pesci was better in this role than almost any other. DeNiro often looked a little clueless and dull.

I think casting was a problem. The scenes of the characters when "young" didn't look all that young at all.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #12386 on: December 05, 2019, 02:19:26 PM »
They put narration in a 3 hour movie?! WTF
Now I'm definitely not going to bother with it.
Scorcese, like all top performing minds, would work better with more exterior restraint. Getting too much power and therefore leeway never seems to work in anyone's favor when making films or music. The Coen brothers might be some of the few I'd still trust, but even they have a difficult time raising funds for their films.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12387 on: December 06, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
I couldn't help feel the movie would be better if De Niro wasn't cast in the lead role. The role seemed to need a younger man. And indeed it was about 1 hour too long. Maybe because I'm old but if you sit me down in front of Netflix at 9 pm on a Saturday, I'm going to be asleep 2 hours into anything.

A different actor was certainly necessary but a real script is really what was needed. No doubt the Hoffa story COULD have been interesting.

They put narration in a 3 hour movie?! WTF

Not only did the rely overly on narration in a very long movie, but they also had this stupid habit of putting up a text explanation of how a number of characters were murdered. It is out of place. They could have spent the money filming the murders and cut away briefly to them, or simply left them out.

Additionally, the first violent scene where DeNiro stomps the grocer's hand is acted and filmed so unpersuasively that I popped right out of suspension of disbelief. Normally I tolerate such things, but DeNiro is revealed, for all his makeup, as an old man. Presumably, they had more than the one take and couldn't get a better one than that. I'm sure it sounds like nitpicking but this is one of the places I paused the film and came back to it. Took me three sittings to get through.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #12388 on: December 06, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »

Ploddingly slow but not well-paced. Needlessly long without a story to give it backbone. Geriatric and uninspired. Dialogue is terrible. Starved of action. Scorcese clearly doesn't understand what part of his earlier movies people actually enjoyed.

The Irishman - 9/10.

Fascinating in-depth character study of a mob hit man. De Niro and Pacino‘s best work in decades.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12389 on: December 06, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
"Knives Out" was fun/10. Boss Lady loved it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain