Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 694971 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12525 on: January 11, 2020, 09:20:38 AM »
Ad Astra was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Not even going to give it a rating. This is a good analysis of most things wrong with it.

Good lord... You weren't kidding. The science in this movie make almsot no sense, and for no good reason at all.

I rated it "Uhm, what?/10".
Mooohn!

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12526 on: January 12, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Bloodrayne 2: Deliverance. Kind of pathetic. Maybe 4/10. Buffy she's not. How she ever survives is a mystery. That she keeps going after vampires suggests that she's suicidal. On Amazon Prime. Free if you have Prime.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12527 on: January 12, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
"1917" Amazing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12528 on: January 12, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
Black and Blue (2019): Cop thriller about a black police woman in New Orleans who films a murder committed by other cops with her bodycam and gets chased around. Pretty good, although they do that irritating trope again where she literally could have just said "Hey, detective Malone is trying to murder me because I'm a witness" at various points to get herself out of trouble (she carries a police radio), and other characters do the same dumb thing at various points. Other than that, though, it was a pretty tense thriller. 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12529 on: January 13, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
Midsommar (6/10 if you've seen 1973's Wicker Man, 8/10 if you haven't?)

This movie seemed to start getting a lot of good word of mouth shortly before it started getting pulled from theaters. It's shown up on Amazon Prime (Canada, at least). My wife and I watched it. It's a bit slow, quirky. It starts off pretty creepy but sort of loses some creepiness when they get to Sweden. Can Swedes be made to be creepy? I dunno. If you've seen 1973's Wicker Man, it will seem pretty familiar. The scene with the bear "outfit" in Midsommar I wonder if it was a sly reference to the ridiculous bear scene in the Wicker Man remake.

(click to show/hide)
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12530 on: January 13, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
Parasite 8/10
Korean movie about a family of grifters who gradually latch on to a rich family in the guise of high level domestic workers/tutors etc.
Its a funny and brutal look at the symbiosis between rich and poor and the vulnerability of the latter but its also a good grift movie with a couple of twists.
Its a small bit slow but really well done.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #12531 on: January 13, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
I'm rewatching Star Wars yet again because me son and daughter have suddenly gotten into it.  Over the weekend we watched Episodes IV, V, VI and half of I.  I stand by my previous assessments and ordering, but having watched it now on a 4K screen, I have to add just how amazing Yoda is in V and VI.  Jim Henson Productions did some amazing work at its height.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12532 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50:05 AM »
The Wicker Man (1973) 7/10

After watching Midsommar I had to tuck back into Wicker Man to see how much was lifted. I've not seen the movie since the 80s so who knows how well it held up. Many generally considered it one of the best British horror movies ever made. I'd say it does, for the most part, hold up. Edward Woodward plays a devout Christian cop who comes on quite unlikable from the get go. He really doesn't like the pagan culture he's, literally, landed in. He's brusque and officious. I seemed to remember him as a more sympathetic character but you pretty much don't mind his fate in the end. Oh, boy, I also forgot this is pretty much a musical.

Korean Podcast

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12533 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »
Motherless Brooklyn (2019): Film Noir about a '50s PI with Tourette's who investigates the murder of his former boss. Excellent movie. Already feels like a classic. Some really nice jazz in this, too. 9+/10
Mooohn!

Offline JadeGL

• Brand New
« Reply #12534 on: January 17, 2020, 11:30:21 AM »
Phoenix Forgotten (2017) - A movie trying it's best to be an alien-themed Blair Witch Project. I enjoyed it as I have an irrational love of most things in the "found footage" genre, but it really flounders in the final 2/3rds. I did enjoy how the VHS stuff looked (I guess they filmed in digital than converted to actual VHS so the artifacts are authentic and make the visual effects look pretty neat) but that was about it.

Rating would be maybe a 2.5/5. It was good for a found footage time waster but definitely not up to my favorites of the genre (Grave Encounters, OG Blair Witch, The Tunnel).

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12535 on: January 17, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
Time Trap (Netflix) 5/10 - One way time travel in a cave with magic healing power so no one really dies. Sorry just spoiled it. Nothing really worth watching anyway.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #12536 on: January 17, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »
Terminator: Dark Fate - 7/10

I've heard it said multiple times that this is the best sequel to Terminator 2 yet, and I have to agree.  I don't think it really holds a candle to the first two movies though; it's just a fairly competent and entertaining action flick that finally gets the relentless nature of the bad guy terminator right again.  If anything, they almost made the Rev9 model a bit too overpowered as seemingly NOTHING has any effect on him compared to the T-800 and other models, but still, you really felt like there was nothing that could stop this thing and that was the hook of the first film so I can't fault it.  I liked the actors, liked the characters (though Grace could have used a bit more development) and the overall plot was fine, even if it was yet another re-imagining of the same basic Terminator story that's been told in every movie except Salvation.  They really didn't take any risks aside from the first scene of the film and some of the lines drawing attention to the femaleness of the main cast was unbelievably heavy-handed and on the nose, but they also found the first good use for Arnold in a sequel beyond just reintroducing him to be the tank to assist our new actors.  Also, I'd kinda worried about Linda Hamilton looking a bit too rough to be believably badass anymore, but in the final movie I think her look worked great and actually really played into her character in a nice way. 

All said, this is far from a perfect film, but for anyone who's seen any or all of the previous sequels to T2, you will almost certainly enjoy this film enough for it to be worth it.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12537 on: January 19, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
The Gentlemen utter shite/10

Smug, racist, sexist, (very)antisemitic and poorly written.
This is like if a GQ photoshoot was made into a film where all the characters are unlikeable pricks.
The dialogue is totally over written, only one character actually has a voice of their own (I think Colin Farrell must have taken some liberties).
I havent heard the word "chinaman" used so much in a film before I think? Or constant reminders that a (bad) character is jewish?
Charlie Hunam at least speaks with his own accent but is as uncharismatic as he has ever been.
The meta narrative is also really annoying and Hugh Grants sneaky gay character is fucking offensive.

Oh and a man gets raped by a pig. HILARIOUS.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12538 on: January 19, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
Bad Boys 3 7/10

This washed the taste out of my mouth.
The plot and dialogue are stupid enough to have come from a parody of the 90s action genre and parts felt like a McBain movie.
But it sas fun and the action was impressive and the jokes mostly landed.
Weird cameo from Michael Bay and Smiths wardrobe looks like someone hunted and killed a midlife crisis and turned its pelt into a series of loud shirts, jackets and suits that he seems to change multiple times per day.
I had fun watching this but there were too many kids in the cinema to crack my beer >:(

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12539 on: January 20, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »
VHS 2 7/10 and VHS Viral 6/10 both found on Prime (Canada)

Each is a horror anthology movie. Every story is done as "found footage", which I think is too overdone these days. VHS 2 has a kind of main story that hangs the mini stories together. VHS Viral doesn't, as far as I could tell. VHS 2 tries to stay true to its name by having a pair of detectives looking for a missing kid loading a VCR with tapes the missing kid seems to have compiled. I'm not sure why a 17 year old kid is trading in VHS movies in 2013. The simulated VHS roll and distortion gets irritating pretty quickly too. All that said there are some decent stories in here making these movies a kind of  zombie/Friday 13th version of Black Mirror. Everything is VERY bloody and there's some nudity. Oddly some of the stories are in other languages.

The best

Safe Haven (from VHS 2): a documentary crew visits a Jim Jones type cult in Indonesia just as they're about to birth the anti Christ. (Subtitles)

A Ride in the Park (from VHS 2): a mountain biker with a go pro gets bit by a zombie. We now see him terrorizing other people trying to enjoy the park.

Parallel Monsters (from VHS Viral): Set in some latam country, a guy invents a portal to a mirror universe. At the same time his mirror universe version makes his own portal and they both turn their portals on at the same time. They agree to spend 15 minutes in each other's universe. What at first seems normal (but simply mirrored) gets super creepy quickly for the guy from presumably our universe. It seems he's stepped into some weird anti Christ universe where people have monster penises (not a metaphor for a hung man) and women have vaginas that can eat you. Jesus, it gets even weirder.

Meh

Bonestorm (from VHS Viral): kids trying to make viral skateboard videos with go pros and one hand held cam head to Mexico so they can buy fireworks and beer and do even more crazy stunts. There's a bit of a funny back plot where the kid holding the cam seems to want to capture one of the stunt skateboarders getting killed. He doesn't warn him about approaching trucks and the like. For some reason they encounter zombie cultists and a monster and use their skateboards to fend them off.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:12:55 PM by mindme »

Korean Podcast

personate-rain