Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 705134 times)

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • View Profile
    • blaugh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12615 on: February 17, 2020, 10:07:58 PM »
Birds of Prey 8/10

Honestly it came off as a Girl Power version of Deadpool 2, and I mean that in the best way possible. My only complaint is the rendition of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". I actually like the trend of mutating peppy 70s/80s hits into melodramatic epics ballads for movies (although that "Mad World" cover is overplayed and overrated, don't @ me), but this one just struck me as meh.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: February 18, 2020, 05:25:17 AM »
Birds of Prey 8/10

Honestly it came off as a Girl Power version of Deadpool 2, and I mean that in the best way possible. My only complaint is the rendition of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". I actually like the trend of mutating peppy 70s/80s hits into melodramatic epics ballads for movies (although that "Mad World" cover is overplayed and overrated, don't @ me), but this one just struck me as meh.
Im amazed how much 3 of the nerdy women I know really hated it!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12617 on: February 18, 2020, 08:03:27 AM »
Victoria and Abdul 8/10 I'm not surprised this phase of Queen Victoria's life was suppressed. Abdul comes across as a kind of reasonable guy that backs into a really good thing. He never takes advantage of his position and access but he certain never says no. A kind of kinder, gentler Rasputin.

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • View Profile
    • blaugh
« Reply #12618 on: February 18, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Now that I've had the full day to process Birds of Prey, I still think it was fantastic, and I'm upgrading my ranking to 9/10.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: February 20, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »
Mr. Right (on NetFlix) 10/10. Funny, violent, unrealistic. A mentally disturbed woman, having dumped her boyfriend for blatant cheating, meets a charming and funny man, who turns out to be a hired killer and super-ninja who has had an attack of conscience and has started killing his clients instead of the people they pay him to kill. Hilarious violence ensues.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #12620 on: February 22, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
Mr. Right (on NetFlix) 10/10. Funny, violent, unrealistic. A mentally disturbed woman, having dumped her boyfriend for blatant cheating, meets a charming and funny man, who turns out to be a hired killer and super-ninja who has had an attack of conscience and has started killing his clients instead of the people they pay him to kill. Hilarious violence ensues.

7/10

Thanks for this recommendation.  The movie was hysterical.  Sam Rockwell + Tim Roth.  I can't believe I had never heard of this movie.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: February 22, 2020, 04:25:34 AM »
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension (800/10) - forgot how much fun this movie is. Even more fun if you describe the actors from other movies. Robocop and Brendalfly take on Lord Farquad and Doc Brown to save the earth from aliens and insanity ensues.

No matter where you go, there you are.

the only good thing I took from that movie.

wish there was an album version of that cover
"Skepticism is the first step on the road to philosophy."

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: February 22, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
To this day I still occasionally hum that song to myself, and have ever since I first saw that movie.
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: February 22, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
Consider this- For the current generation, Buckaroo Banzai will be a reference to Ready Player One...

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: February 24, 2020, 08:37:53 AM »
Booksmart 9/10 (found on Prime): fun comedy about two girls who have done everything right discover the slackers are able to slide right into great schools themselves. So they decide to break all the rules on their last day of school. Some pretty adult theme and I wish I could let my 9 year old daughter see this because it speaks a lot of truth about what's coming down the road for her and how to navigate it

Black Side of the Mountain 7/10 (found on Prime): Can you do an archeology themed horror movie that's not a pile of ancient aliens shit, is fantastical yet reasonably plausible, is intelligent, nods to HP Lovecraft, and captures elements of The Thing? Black Side of the Mountain comes pretty close.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: February 25, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
Blade Runner 1982
8/10
Watched this with my 15 year old son.
Of course he had a big laugh at the date the movie takes place (2019), then asked if that is what we thought the future would look like back in the '80s. I said that it was more like what the 80s felt like.
Then within about 15 minutes he asked if we find out Deckard is actually a replicant as well.

It's always interesting to see what predictions would be accurate and whatnot.
Of course we don't have air cars and LA isn't getting constant rain, and thankfully we don't have as much cigarette smoke.
Newspapers?

The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: February 25, 2020, 05:08:50 PM »
Time Trap (2017): Fun low(ish) budget sci-fi movie about people who venture into a cave and get caught in a place where
Spoiler
time moves much slower than in the outside world.
[close]
7/10
Mooohn!

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
Time Trap (2017): Fun low(ish) budget sci-fi movie about people who venture into a cave and get caught in a place where
Spoiler
time moves much slower than in the outside world.
[close]
7/10

Hope you didn't watch this on my recommendation

Time Trap (Netflix) 5/10 - One way time travel in a cave with magic healing power so no one really dies. Sorry just spoiled it. Nothing really worth watching anyway.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12628 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:22 AM »
Blade Runner 1982
8/10
Watched this with my 15 year old son.
Of course he had a big laugh at the date the movie takes place (2019), then asked if that is what we thought the future would look like back in the '80s. I said that it was more like what the 80s felt like.
Then within about 15 minutes he asked if we find out Deckard is actually a replicant as well.

It's always interesting to see what predictions would be accurate and whatnot.
Of course we don't have air cars and LA isn't getting constant rain, and thankfully we don't have as much cigarette smoke.
Newspapers?

The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.
Deckard retired replicants. Deckard retired. See what's missing?

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Blade Runner

A really good answer. But I will say Blade Runner picked up on the idea that the future with gee wiz technology doesn't mean a better Star Trek world. People will still be living in hovels. Just with laptop computers. I really noticed this while living in Seoul. You've got this massive city with both modern buildings and people running shops out of hovels. But even the people in hovels have laptops and phones and other technology to our 80s eyes would seem like the distant fantastic future.