Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 705124 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12630 on: February 26, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
Blade Runner
Of course he had a big laugh at the date the movie takes place (2019), then asked if that is what we thought the future would look like back in the '80s. I said that it was more like what the 80s felt like.

A really good answer. But I will say Blade Runner picked up on the idea that the future with gee wiz technology doesn't mean a better Star Trek world. People will still be living in hovels. Just with laptop computers. I really noticed this while living in Seoul. You've got this massive city with both modern buildings and people running shops out of hovels. But even the people in hovels have laptops and phones and other technology to our 80s eyes would seem like the distant fantastic future.
Dis topia is better than dystopia.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: February 26, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.
The assassins make sense, soldiers and laborers not so much.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: February 26, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.
The assassins make sense, soldiers and laborers not so much.
I read a story way back when about robots having pyschological problems with limbs they didn't need. Dispatcher for police department can move its legs, etc. Obvious solution was obvious.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:17 PM »
Blade Runner 1982
8/10
Watched this with my 15 year old son.
Of course he had a big laugh at the date the movie takes place (2019), then asked if that is what we thought the future would look like back in the '80s. I said that it was more like what the 80s felt like.
Then within about 15 minutes he asked if we find out Deckard is actually a replicant as well.

It's always interesting to see what predictions would be accurate and whatnot.
Of course we don't have air cars and LA isn't getting constant rain, and thankfully we don't have as much cigarette smoke.
Newspapers?

Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made, but with flying cars, space ships, and robots. Hair styles remain the same. "Future" computers continued to use CRTs until flat-screens came along, and nobody made future movies with tablet computers or cell phones until those things actually came along.

"Futurists" are really bad at predicting the future.

And we still don't have flying cars or general household robots. And the self-driving cars in development do not have a talking, AGI humanoid robot sitting in the driver's seat.

The one reliable prediction about the future is that it won't look anything like anybody has yet imagined.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: February 26, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made,

Not in the great ones.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: February 26, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »
Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made,

Not in the great ones.
Those being...

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »

Not in the great ones.
Those being...
Bill and Ted

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: February 26, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »

Not in the great ones.
Those being...
Sleeper
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: February 26, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »
I'm not connecting here.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
Hope you didn't watch this on my recommendation

Time Trap (Netflix) 5/10 - One way time travel in a cave with magic healing power so no one really dies. Sorry just spoiled it. Nothing really worth watching anyway.

Clearly not, but I can see your POV. Maybe I've watched too many terrible movies. This struck me as "totally OK to waste an evening on" fine.
Mooohn!

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: February 27, 2020, 06:09:42 PM »

Not in the great ones.
Those being...
Sleeper

Those first two were the ones that came to my mind.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline CookieMustard

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: February 27, 2020, 09:54:52 PM »

Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made ...

Science fiction is not about the future; it uses the future as a narrative convention to present significant distortions of the present.  - Samual Delaney

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: February 28, 2020, 06:08:54 AM »

Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made ...

Science fiction is not about the future; it uses the future as a narrative convention to present significant distortions of the present.  - Samual Delaney
Frequently they're explorations of "what if" in sociological themes. The society in Starship Troopers is an excuse to consider one way to make the public be more responsible for their choices of government.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12643 on: February 28, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
Movies about the future always look an awful lot like the present in which they were made, but with flying cars, space ships, and robots. Hair styles remain the same. "Future" computers continued to use CRTs until flat-screens came along, and nobody made future movies with tablet computers or cell phones until those things actually came along.

2001 had flat panel and iPads. TNG presaged flat panel and touchscreen. I did find it funny in TNG they thought it was a huge innovation to upload video through Gordie's visor. Gopro was lost in the ensuing centuries.

Dr N. made a point a number of years ago how many sci fi writers before and during the space age thought all the advances were going to be made in rockets and space travel. People didn't see huge end over end advances in computing technology.

Sci fi shows these days seem to trying to usher in display technology that projects into thin air or see through panels. I don't *always* want people seeing what's on my computer screen. But I can see it's a good device. You can shoot the actor and also show what she or he is looking at.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »
Keep in mind, its also pretty hard to make a movie look like the future.  How do you show a flat screen when all you have are CRTs?

I think it was also Dr Novella that said something to the effect of, Scifi always overestimates near term technological advancement and underestimates the far term.  Doesn't matter if the story happens 50 years from now or 2000 years from now, they all seem to have about the same level of technology.