Author Topic: Episode # 101  (Read 34764 times)

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
Episode # 101
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »
Quote from: "Paul Ganssle"
Quote from: "Trevor"
I don't see how information is "destroyed" when matter falls into an event horizon.  The information is still there.  It is just not accessible to us, on the other side of the event horizon.  Science has got to stop the stupid perception-centric view of science.  Just because we don't know something, or we can't figure out how it would even be possible to know something, doesn't mean that lack of knowledge has any impact whatsoever on reality.

Uh, no offense, but I'm sure practicing physicists working on this problem understand it a bit better than you do based on a brief explanation of it.
Yeah, but practicing physicists don't have a hilarious avatar of a kid getting hit by a ball.

Offline pvwie

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode # 101
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »
Sorry to dig up old wounds, but who said the government isn't exploiting "global warming" and doesn't stand to make an assload of money? Carbon credits baby!!!!

http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=951&Month=7&Year=2007

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Episode # 101
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2007, 02:27:57 AM »
Quote from: "pvwie"
Sorry to dig up old wounds, but who said the government isn't exploiting "global warming" and doesn't stand to make an assload of money? Carbon credits baby!!!!

Strangely, I've lost all tolerance for denialists. You can, of course, keep on denying reality; since it appears that public sentiment is moving in the direction of supporting initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, I guess it doesn't matter what people like you think.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline pvwie

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode # 101
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2007, 11:22:51 AM »
Quote from: "jason"
Quote from: "pvwie"

Strangely, I've lost all tolerance for denialists. You can, of course, keep on denying reality; since it appears that public sentiment is moving in the direction of supporting initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, I guess it doesn't matter what people like you think.

You're right, it doesn't matter what 'people like me think'. But in my irrelevant opinion, creating new taxes and raising existing taxes, thus forcing people to pay more just to live their normal lives probably doesn't reflect public sentiment. If the government really cared about reducing emissions, they would provide incentives (ie, tax breaks, tax credits, research funding) to help people and corporations reduce greenhouse gases. That's what motivates people (oh, and Al Gore's scare campaign). The government making a law that forces people to enrich the government coffers for carbon production is extortion and doesn't do anything to reduce greenhouse gases. If you're happy with whatever governments want to do to force you to reduce your "carbon footprint" in the name of saving the world from rising carbon levels, then that's your problem. I have yet to see a government program succeed in anything, especially when there are trillions of dollars at stake.