Author Topic: Science Blunders  (Read 21713 times)

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Science Blunders
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »
There are the calculations made by Lord Kelvin which caused him to mistakenly believe that the sun hadn't existed long enough to allow for the gradual process of evolution. I think I might have first heard about that in an SGU episode, actually.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 03:02:36 AM »
- The nuclear accident at SL-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1). If you do include this, I *highly* recommend the first paragraph on it from the book, which is the most awesome paragraph ever written in the history of mankind.

From what book?
The Levay book mentioned above. It's not always purely sciencey but man, that is a great read. I lent it to my brother a couple years ago; otherwise I'd quote the passage here.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
Titantic may 31st 2011 was the hundred year anniversary of the launching of the unsinkable ship!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:39:58 AM by seaotter »
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
Chionactis mentioning Kelvin above reminded me of Fahrenheit's temperature scale.  It was supposed to have 0 degrees being defined as the freezing point of sea water (which IIRC he got pretty well), but 100 degrees was supposed to be the body temperature of a healthy person... except he based it on the temperature of someone who had a slight fever instead.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Nature publishing the ex.Dr. Wakefields nonsense.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
Nature publishing the ex.Dr. Wakefields nonsense.

I wasn't aware nature did, wasn't it the Lancet or are you referring to a different paper?

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
Completely my bad.  You are correct.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline JPM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Delusions of Grandeur
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
Thomas Midgley Jr should get a mention for his part in leaded gasoline and CFCs.
The lesson to be learned is how important testing becomes when a product can be released into the atmosphere.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
Superseded scientific theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

found that page while reading about the Dust Bowl which mentioned the Rain follows the plow theory.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Silly Llama

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
How about that famous cognitive dissonance work that turned out to be wrong because of the Monty Hall problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/science/08tier.html

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »
What about the cold fusion blunder? Fleischmann–Pons experiment.
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I think that's been mentioned, but was Pons-Fleischmann really a "blunder" in the classic sense? I was under the impression that they insisted for years they really did cold fusion and that the whole incident, while residing in the grey area between bad science and hoax, was closer to the latter than the former.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
I don't know if its fair to classify nuclear disasters as scientific blunders. These accidents seam far removed from the scientific process.  Fukashima was caused by inadequate defenses against environmental catastrophes. Chernobyl was a result of human error toe-to-toe with inadequate design and irresponsible government. At what point is science responsible?

I don't think we can blame science for the majority of blunders in Moloch's top twenty.

Challenger Disaster: bad O ring
Piltdown chicken: hasty journalism

Offline migopod

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
I seem to recall as well that concerns about the bad o-ring were brought to the attention of higher-ups by engineers prior to the incident and that those concerns were dismissed.

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
Don't forget evolution...
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar