Author Topic: Joke Friday!  (Read 44843 times)

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Joke Friday!
« Reply #360 on: June 08, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
A man has just emigrated to the United States after having lived his life as a hermit in the mountains.  He speaks no English, but through his translator had asked his immigration officer what the most amazing part of the Us would be for him, and was told about supermarkets.  "Meat, fresh fruit and vegetables, prepared foods from around the world, available year-round."  The man asked about fried chicken, something he had heard about and dreamed of his whole life, and was told, that he would have no problem finding it.

He walked into his first Supermarket, and was stunned; this was nothing like he expected.  He looked at the produce, so large, so fresh.  An employee, seeing his expression, asks if he can help.  The man indicates he does not understand, but manages to convey he wishes to do this on his own.  He walked the aisles, so full of many different things, he couldn't wait to try it all.  He checks out, surprised at how inexpensive his selection is.  He can't wait to get home.  The picture on the container looks like the most amazing meal he has ever eaten.  And, he has learned his first word of English.

(click to show/hide)

FTFY (I had to look up the punchline, bein' a fornur).
A - Thanks
B - I heard it decades ago, and I have a fonder remembrance of the buildup than I was able to recreate.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2018, 12:02:19 AM »
A man has just emigrated to the United States after having lived his life as a hermit in the mountains.  He speaks no English, but through his translator had asked his immigration officer what the most amazing part of the Us would be for him, and was told about supermarkets.  "Meat, fresh fruit and vegetables, prepared foods from around the world, available year-round."  The man asked about fried chicken, something he had heard about and dreamed of his whole life, and was told, that he would have no problem finding it.

He walked into his first Supermarket, and was stunned; this was nothing like he expected.  He looked at the produce, so large, so fresh.  An employee, seeing his expression, asks if he can help.  The man indicates he does not understand, but manages to convey he wishes to do this on his own.  He walked the aisles, so full of many different things, he couldn't wait to try it all.  He checks out, surprised at how inexpensive his selection is.  He can't wait to get home.  The picture on the container looks like the most amazing meal he has ever eaten.  And, he has learned his first word of English.

(click to show/hide)

FTFY (I had to look up the punchline, bein' a fornur).
A - Thanks
B - I heard it decades ago, and I have a fonder remembrance of the buildup than I was able to recreate.

I enjoyed it, and plan on using this (the setup at least) on someone eventually. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #362 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:00 AM »
I don't get it at all.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)
That's a joke? Sounds like a mistake that he was soon going to be able to rectify. A learning experience. Not sure why it's funny, but okay.

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)
That's a joke? Sounds like a mistake that he was soon going to be able to rectify. A learning experience. Not sure why it's funny, but okay.
A classic element in comedy is the subversion of expectations. 

Not every joke lands in every listener's brain.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #366 on: June 10, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Yep, that one certainly missed the landing here. It's okay. We're allowed to have different senses of humour.

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #367 on: June 10, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Yep, that one certainly missed the landing here. It's okay. We're allowed to have different senses of humour.
Well, then we're even, after getting that earworm in my head on the other thread.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2018, 02:50:06 AM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Well, then we're even, after getting that earworm in my head on the other thread.
Mahna-mahna.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
Once a week I get to read a joke that makes me chuckle.
And if I dont, I get to see a bunch of robots or lizard people (still not sure which) explain humour to each other as a foreign concept!

This is genuinely, without irony, one of the reasons I love this place! Thanks for reminding me.

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Mahna-mahna.
Now I have to ask for an explanation.  Mahna-Mahna?    I would have understood Mwa-ha-ha-ha, or Nah-na na-NAH-na, or neener-neener-neener, but Mahna-mahna?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Mahna-mahna.
Now I have to ask for an explanation.  Mahna-Mahna?    I would have understood Mwa-ha-ha-ha, or Nah-na na-NAH-na, or neener-neener-neener, but Mahna-mahna?
My go-to method for dispelling an earworm. Replace it with another.

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #372 on: June 12, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Mahna-mahna.

(click to show/hide)
D'oh!  I think a trailing quintuplet of "do"s would have sealed the reference for me.

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #373 on: June 12, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
I don't get it at all.
(click to show/hide)

Mahna-mahna.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #374 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »
*applause*

personate-rain