Author Topic: SGU 24  (Read 57022 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
SGU 24
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
Guys,  We have a live 24 hour SGU event happening on September 23-24.  It will have audio and video live streaming.  We are in early production right now with tons of ideas in the mix.  Mixed in with the typical SGU content there will be a story-line that plays itself out over the course of the show.  I cant reveal too much of the details of the story-line but there is so much time to fill I'd love to hear any ideas or comments you have.

http://theness.com/roguesgallery/index.php/events/announcement-sgu-24-show/
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: SGU 24
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
A sleep deprived math quiz show: at random times after the 18th hour throw out simple math problems and see who can answer it the fastest.
Coffee drinking contest: which Rogue can consume the most caffeine without side effects.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »
Nothing specific, but I advise to have some material held in reserve to fill dead zones.

I listen to a podcast in a different genre, and they did a 24-hour (ended up being 28 hours) show last summer.  There is something they ended up calling "The Black Hour" in the middle where things went WAAAAAAY off-course for a time.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:56:35 AM »
How awesome would it be if you ran quick RPG session, perhaps DnD or Star Trek!? Even if you guys are rusty on the DnD rules I'm sure you must have a friend who still plays that could help out (although I always imagined Steve DM'ing). I would love to see Rebecca playing DnD, hilarity would be guaranteed. My dream would be Phil Plait as DM for a Star Trek roleplaying game session.

Just a quick pre-written module or maybe the DM could whip up a game with a skeptical bent, the heroic 'Rogues' fighting the disgusting monster "Salivier Brown?"

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please  please please please please  :D

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »
Phil Plait as DM for a Star Trek roleplaying game session.

Oh hell yes. Especially if he injects some actual science into this purported science fiction.

"No, you can't do that... Space doesn't work that way... Saturn's rings don't have a magnetic field... Due to relativistic time dilation your quick trip to the nearest planet to sell your loot took seven hundred years..."

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Perhaps you should have a doctor on hand, a neurologist perhaps, just to make sure none of you suffer brain damage.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
I would have a series of clips ready to go in case of emergency, or when you guys need to take a break. In fact, there should be buttons with pre-recorded messages, and when one of you leaves to do whatever, you can still be part of the conversation (Bob's should say "we should invest millions and millions on that").
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
I would have a series of clips ready to go in case of emergency, or when you guys need to take a break. In fact, there should be buttons with pre-recorded messages, and when one of you leaves to do whatever, you can still be part of the conversation (Bob's should say "we should invest millions and millions on that").

Billions!!!

Turn in your nerd badge!
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »

Billions!!!

Turn in your nerd badge!

:sweatdrop:
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Silly Llama

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »
An impromptu five minute interview with a randomly selected listener/viewer could be funny.  Have people who want to be considered and have the technology to participate submit their names then choose 3-5 of them at random and call them during the show.  People would have to be ready with Skype logged on and wouldn't know who was getting called until it started ringing.

A less serious but potentially hilarious activity would be to prank call various pseudoscience and woo organizations.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
So which of you will die at Rebecca's hands first?

My bet is Bob.  I know Jay seems the likeliest target, but I think come hour oh 16, Bob will make some high end Astronomy reference mixed with a really bad Star Trek joke and out comes the Meat Cleaver. 

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »
There's only one thing I know which can get you guys through this: extended RPGing!!! GMed by listeners! By which I mean me! Call of Cthulhu! Loud noises!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
I think people are mostly joking, but I've watched live RPGing before and when you're not participating it is DULL.

Cropped and edited RPGing would definitely be enjoyable, but real-time?  Ugh.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »
I absolutely think you should do some short interviews with your forum members.

I'll happily come on sometime and talk about airplanes if you want.  There are tons of people who have interesting jobs, or other areas of expertise.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Silly Llama

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
I absolutely think you should do some short interviews with your forum members.

I'll happily come on sometime and talk about airplanes if you want.  There are tons of people who have interesting jobs, or other areas of expertise.

Targeted interviews would be more interesting, random would be more amusing (IMHO).  I guess it depends on what you're going for, which might depend on the hour.

personate-rain
personate-rain