Author Topic: Jwaksman has been banned  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Jwaksman has been banned
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
By unanimous vote from the four Global Moderators, Jwaksman has been banned.

A bit of explanation is in order.  He wasn't banned for any specific rules infraction; he was banned more for the amount of "noise" and harassment he brought to the board.  We mods have seen the number of reported posts skyrocket in the last few months, and almost all of those reports were either about Jwaksman or from Jwaksman himself.  While he wasn't the only source of the noise -- it takes two to tango, after all -- he was consistently such a bad tango partner that we decided that the best course of action was to ban him.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Jwaksman has been banned
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
And yet more clarification:

I saw a post (and I can't find it now, alas) which said something like "I've been told to report posts to the moderators, but that's what Jwaksman did, and he got banned because of it.  Now I'm not going to report posts."

The thing is that Jwaksman didn't just report posts.  He reported posts and he'd post his own reportable replies.  What we want you to do is report posts instead of posting replies.  What Jwaksman did was the schoolyard equivalent of throwing punches and then trying to hide behind the teacher's legs when people started throwing punches back.

The right thing to do when someone has posted something offensive is still to report the posts.  And we'll deal with them.  Promise.  You might not see in public what we do, but we'll discuss what to do and then act on that discussion.  Just don't reply to the offensive post, okay?
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain