Author Topic: South Park dun fall off  (Read 1493 times)

Offline David "Stubb" Oswald

• Ass. Professor of Agronomy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Lived, perspicacious, philosophic wisdom.
South Park dun fall off
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
This last season is the worst ever, I have watched them all and have not laughed or appreciated the social commentary. If it don't get funny I will stop watching.
If you read a book and it changes your life, you are fucked. -Seth Romatelli

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Re: South Park dun fall off
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
Couldn't ever really get into it. If there's nothing else on, I won't turn off the TV, but for some reason it's far from compelling to me.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
This last season is the worst ever, I have watched them all and have not laughed or appreciated the social commentary. If it don't get funny I will stop watching.

There were a few moments here and there which earned a laugh from me, but all in all yeah... not very good.  I think the high point was the Cash For Gold song they did for the montage.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
Couldn't ever really get into it. If there's nothing else on, I won't turn off the TV, but for some reason it's far from compelling to me.
Same here. I can appreciate what they're doing, and there are some clips that I find hilarious, but they're far too often "meh" for me.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
Lost me 3 or 4 years ago.

There were a couple of totally unfunny and disturbing episodes - something about Imaginationland or something like that  Crossed the line into the "That's not funny, that's sick" camp.

Too bad. In its heyday it was often inspired genius -and hilarious.

Offline Vincegamer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:08:20 AM »
This is kind of how I felt after watching the pilot. I have never been impressed except for one or two episodes I've been directed to online like the one with Tom Cruise and John Travolta or the one about "fag".  As a whole, just don't find it funny. Bits and pieces of brilliance throughout but not consistently enough to be a fan.
“If you took the kind of working practices of herbal remedies and scaled them up and used them on a whole population you’d have a hell of a lot more giant cock-ups.”
- Ben Goldacre

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »
This is kind of how I felt after watching the pilot. I have never been impressed except for one or two episodes I've been directed to online like the one with Tom Cruise and John Travolta or the one about "fag".  As a whole, just don't find it funny. Bits and pieces of brilliance throughout but not consistently enough to be a fan.

The first season was a bit rough, but for a while there they had the Midas touch on almost every episode and the high points were some of the funniest stuff I've seen on TV.  This was the first episode I saw and is still a favorite.  I don't know how many you've seen, but check some of these out at least:

"Cartman Joins NAMBLA"

"Super Best Friends"

"Scott Tenorman Must Die"

"Here Comes the Neighborhood"

"Red Hot Catholic Love"

"The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers"

"The Biggest Douche in the Universe" (A nice skeptical bent to this one too)

"Make Love, Not Warcraft"

I'll stop there, but there are more.  All of the ones up there I consider to be golden.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:03 AM »
The Biggest Douche in the Universe is about John Edwards, isn't it? I don't think I've seen that ep, but the biggest douche in the universe is either Edwards or Kevin Trudeau.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
The Biggest Douche in the Universe is about John Edwards, isn't it? I don't think I've seen that ep, but the biggest douche in the universe is either Edwards or Kevin Trudeau.

Yup, that's the one.  Come to think of it though, I think that Sylvia Browne may trump Edwards.  I've never heard him mislead police in a missing persons' investigation.  Kevin Trudeau is definitely a contender though, if for no other reason than his stubborn persistence and blatant intentional misleading. 

Now then, if you haven't seen it, go here and rectify that.  I'm sure you're just sitting at your computer bored anyway :P.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
Now then, if you haven't seen it, go here and rectify that.  I'm sure you're just sitting at your computer bored anyway :P.
I'm never bored when I'm sitting in front of my computer, sir. But I'll save that link for future watching (probably on my next day off). Thanks.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
My pleasure :).

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
The jacking it in San Diego song, or whatever it was, was pretty funny. Aside from that I think this past season has just been largely forgettable, and we're used to a South Park with memorable moments almost every episode.

I'm thinking really hard, and I can't recall the plot or point of any South Park episode this season - and I've watched four or five.

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »

I'll stop there, but there are more.  All of the ones up there I consider to be golden.
I still love the scene where Richard Dawkins and Mrs. Garrison debate evolution in front of the kids in the classroom.

Offline NakedTime

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Oh good, so it's not just me. I haven't watched the last few seasons, for the most part, because the episodes I have watched were mostly bad. They still have some good humor, but the funny/bland ratio is worse. Also, the last few seasons a lot of the pop culture references are to things I am unaware of, so that may play a role (then again, I didn't know who Barbara Streisand or Alanis Morrisette were, either). The human centipede episode stands out as being very gross with little humor.

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
"The Biggest Douche in the Universe" (A nice skeptical bent to this one too)

Another episode with a great skeptical twist to it was Cherokee Hair Tampons.

Miss Information

I would have to agree with the consensus that recent seasons have been poor.  There have been a few episodes recently where I've found myself groaning at just how bad an episode has been.