Author Topic: NFL 2011 thread  (Read 45691 times)

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
Re: NFL 2011 thread
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
It looks like the ducks are finally all in a row.  I think the players did better than they usually do in these negotiations.  The exploitative 18-game season is gone, there's a $90 million floor on player salary spending, and lifetime medical insurance is provided.  Now let's have some football!

Salary floor is 90% of the cap, so 108mil, not 90mil
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »
It looks like the ducks are finally all in a row.  I think the players did better than they usually do in these negotiations.  The exploitative 18-game season is gone, there's a $90 million floor on player salary spending, and lifetime medical insurance is provided.  Now let's have some football!

Salary floor is 90% of the cap, so 108mil, not 90mil

Oops.  You are right, of course.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »
Man.. can you imagine if MLB had both a salary cap and a salary floor?
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 06:20:49 AM »
Man.. can you imagine if MLB had both a salary cap and a salary floor?

The Cubs would still be terrible.  :'(
-Colts Homer

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 06:24:22 AM »
That's what you get for being goatfuckers.

Actually.. there is a book by an economist and a former baseball player that was being discussed on NPR a few weeks ago about sports in general, and the chapter on the Cubs pointed out that the problem with the Cubs franchise is cultural: Cubs fans are too stupid to stop going to games just because the team is a perennial loser, so the ownership has traditionally had little incentive to invest in payroll since the amount of money they'd make by increasing attendance would be more than offset by the extra payroll they'd have to spend.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
The Cubs have, at least recently been pretty up there in payroll. Which is why I said cap/floor wouldn't help them.

This site: http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

puts them in the top 8 in payroll every year since 2004, sometimes as high as 3rd, and in the top half of the league in payroll since at least 1998.
-Colts Homer

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
The Cubs have, at least recently been pretty up there in payroll. Which is why I said cap/floor wouldn't help them.

This site: http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

puts them in the top 8 in payroll every year since 2004, sometimes as high as 3rd, and in the top half of the league in payroll since at least 1998.

Yeah, I think I may have been getting it a bit wrong.

The authors were discussing payroll as one of the aspects the Cubs ownership never bothered addressing over the past 20-30 years, but IIRC they were framing it as a systemic problem that wasn't being addressed because the ownership had no impetus to institute more effective team management and scouting and payroll and facilities upgrades, etc.. because Cubs fans would show up in roughly the same daily attendance no matter what, and this lead to a "culture of losing" which still permeates the Cubs franchise to this day.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
...as opposed to the "culture of losing" which permeated the Pirates front office for years and which was exacerbated by the fact that they haven't had any money for a long, long time? I'm just not buying it. The Cubs are run poorly, but new management could turn them into a well-run team.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
...as opposed to the "culture of losing" which permeated the Pirates front office for years and which was exacerbated by the fact that they haven't had any money for a long, long time? I'm just not buying it. The Cubs are run poorly, but new management could turn them into a well-run team.

Not saying it couldn't, just saying that until the franchise was sold the ownership had little incentive to shake things up.

Teams like the Pirates and the Marlins are a different case: It is actually profitable for them to suck because then they benefit from the league's welfare system, and they'll probably never have ownership which is ballsy enough to make the transition from "team which sucks for 12 out of every 15 years until they've developed enough home-grown talent via favorable draft positions and compensation picks for free agents who leave to make the playoffs for a couple of years before packing it in and starting all over again" to "team which is willing to spend money on free agents who will compliment their considerable wealth of homegrown talent for the two or three years it takes in order to convince the fan base that you're dedicated to running a perennial competitor".

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Well, except that the Marlins have gone down that road twice. The Pirates make money via keeping a low payroll, not necessarily by sucking. The two are not mutually exclusive; ask the Oakland A's.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
Well, except that the Marlins have gone down that road twice. The Pirates make money via keeping a low payroll, not necessarily by sucking. The two are not mutually exclusive; ask the Oakland A's.

I said "team which sucks 12 out of every 15 years" didn't I? :P

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
NFLPA reps unanimously pass the CBA, camps begin opening Wednesday.
-Colts Homer

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
HUZZAH!

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
YA-A-AY!

My favorite diversion from dismal reality is back!

And now, to make it perfect: Asomugha to the Texans.

(Tim Tebow getting caught getting a BJ from a tranny who' would be great, too, as long as I'm wishing.)
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
YA-A-AY!

My favorite diversion from dismal reality is back!

And now, to make it perfect: Asomugha to the Texans.

As long as he doesn't go to the Jets, I don't care.

personate-rain