Author Topic: Exposing PseudoAstronomy Podcast 165: Little Things in Space  (Read 56495 times)

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Exposing PseudoAstronomy Podcast 140: Doomsmonth— September 2015
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
140 episodes! Wow! Ya know...in a universe made of mostly vacuum, barren...some hydrogen, some helium, a little bit of lithium, and 4 laws of physics (3...or 1, depending on how you count), 140 episodes is really a testament to all the complexities nature gives us.

Of course, you could have stopped at 1 episode if you invoked god.  Just sayin'.
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #736 on: September 09, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »
That certainly would've been easier.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #737 on: September 10, 2015, 07:41:07 AM »
And you know, there's actually no reason to dismiss God. Just ask DrHavoc. And sift through the 30 MB answer he writes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #738 on: September 10, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
I don't necessarily dismiss a deity, but I certainly see no reason why the Judeo-Christian one is deserving of praise.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #739 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
Why don't these Doomsday prophets suggest a long period comet winging inwards from the outer solar system to hit Earth? Seems like the best explanation for why we have not seen it.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #740 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
This month there will be another blood red moon. That makes it the fourth this year and some religious prophets say this will fulfill the prophecy of end times and herald the second coming of Christ. Why? Because apparently there are four different references to a moon that will turn the color of blood in the bible. I wish I still had the link because the date 9/21/15 (or maybe it's 9/24/15) also appears in the background of some popular TV shows...which somehow lends more credence to the end times because...you know...TV.
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #741 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
And allegedly a Taylor Swift music video!

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #742 on: September 18, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »
Four-four-zero Hertz:
The sound of angst and control?
Or a false ideal?

Episode 141, "The Physics of the A=440 Hz Conspiracy," has been posted.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #743 on: September 18, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »
Why don't these Doomsday prophets suggest a long period comet winging inwards from the outer solar system to hit Earth? Seems like the best explanation for why we have not seen it.

Kepler's laws say that the comet moves at snail's pace out there, picking up speed as it gets closer to the sun. We would see it long before it hit.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Exposing PseudoAstronomy Podcast 141: Physics of the A=440Hz Conspiracy
« Reply #744 on: September 18, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
Still more believable than some planet larger than Jupiter  ???
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
I remember a while back that  Stuart Robbins spoke about somebody suggesting that Mars would be as large as the full moon. In the sky last night, Venus, Jupiter, and Mars were all in the sky and close together. The brightness of Mar pales in comparison to Jupiter and especially Venus.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #746 on: October 17, 2015, 12:51:40 AM »
With water on Mars,
Discovered again, we look
At who did what first.

Episode 142, "Who’s on First? Origin of Ideas in Science," has been posted.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Stu, what does the discovery of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe do to Hubbles law, and bye estimates of the age of the observable universe?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
Stu, what does the discovery of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe do to Hubbles law, and bye estimates of the age of the observable universe?
Sorry, I don't do cosmology.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Ummm .... Dude! Youre letting me down. You better get on it. I know they aren't the smartest tools in the shed but eventually somebody is going to notice that we are fucking with our clock.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

personate-rain
personate-rain