Author Topic: Star Wars the Old Republic (COSMOS, a Skeptics guild)  (Read 14850 times)

Offline Phillip Hudson

• Off to a Start
    • Phillip Hudson Filmmaker Portfolio
Re: Star Wars the Old Republic (COSMOS, a Skeptics guild)
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Well I had no idea you guys had a guild. I was about to start a new character, may as well join. Now it's time to actually read the thread and figure out who I should contact.

Great! Just go to our website and apply to the guild. Mention the SGU forum and I'll approve it right away.
http://cosmos.enjin.com

"Monkeys can be beat birds." -P.D.

Offline Old Earth Accretionist

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Geology Rocks!
    • Old Earth Accretionist
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
I'm vaguely interested in this, but right now none of my characters are on the appropriate server and my gaming time is pretty much limited to one day a week until I get some of the mountain of work that has piled up on my desk.

But in a couple of months if you don't mind a more casual addition to the guild (and one that will be absent pretty much all of the summer months... field work wreaks havok on internet requiring gaming) I would love to join a sciencey minded guild.

On the dark side of course... Proving that we are truly as evil as popular opinion often paints us  ;)
“He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts for support rather than illumination.”
Andrew Lang

Offline AgnosticBuddha

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
I've recently finished my Sith inquisitor storyline and hit the level cap. The spoken dialog and light/dark choices made leveling truly enjoyable. If anyone is on the fence about playing, it's worth the price of admission just for the story arc. Is ToR a game that can be played month after month and still be enjoyable? I'm not so sure. There are some integral components missing that should have been included on launch. There's no combat log or guild bank.  The UI is bare bones, ugly and cannot be modified. I'm not asking for game changing addons like in WoW, but I would like to change the size and position of the action-bars and maps. I don't care for the map designs either. Zones within zones within zones. The way they're designed, there will never be flying vehicles. It wouldn't work. The ship combat mini game is beyond disappointing. I grew up on the Lucasarts XWing and Tiefighter flight sims. If I can't have something like that, I don't want anything. I think that EA/Bioware would have been better off if they had adopted Blizzards 'It will be out when it's finished.' mentality. I think I'm going to put the cork back in the TOR bottle and give it 6 months to properly age before I give it another taste.

Offline Phillip Hudson

• Off to a Start
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
If you only play for the leveling storylines and voiceover, which are great, keep in mind that there are 8 different classes and 8 different storylines (4 on each side, republic and empire) to enjoy. There are also side quests, hidden datacron quests, companion quests once you get their affection high enough and of course PVP if you're into that. This could keep most players going for a year easily. More importantly, the longevity of most games is dependent on the activities you do with friends and guildmates. If you aren't running with people you enjoy hanging out with, you could lose interest quick regardless of how much or how refined the content is. If you shelve it now, it's likely you'll shelve it soon after your return in 6 moths for the same reasons. That's why we're trying to build a gaming community with Cosmos.

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:11:11 PM by Phillip Hudson »

Offline AgnosticBuddha

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »
I put down ToR after I wrote my last post and haven't looked back. I agree with you Phil about the importance of community in online gaming, but there's just not enough meat in ToR at the moment. I've gone back to Eve. I always go back to Eve. There's always something to do. Sandbox gaming at it's best. There haven't been any Eve posts in a very long time. If anyone from this board would like to give Eve a try, message Jaden Darkwater ingame and I'll help you get started.

Offline Phillip Hudson

• Off to a Start
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
I do miss the mmo's with more of a sandbox element to them. The amusement park mmo's are exciting while they're new, but quickly become repetitive. And worse than that, they promote more of a single player gaming experience: complete one quest, off to the next. Once you get a few levels, or even just a few quests, ahead of someone, there's little incentive to go back and help them.

Offline stretcher

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
Shoot guys, my best friend started playing and invested time on a different server so I'll be joining him. If I can talk him into moving I'll visit the guild site and sign up.

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
Just about to start a 7 day free trial. Excited!

Offline Phillip Hudson

• Off to a Start
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Just about to start a 7 day free trial. Excited!

Welcome! Patch 1.2 is coming soon. Some significant game improvements coming then.

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »
Sweet.

In hindsight, I probably should have downloaded the game client before starting the trial. Gonna miss a day just downloading =P

Offline stretcher

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »
Thursday March 15th through Sunday is completely free to new players. I am expecting a massive influx on my server, which is only moderately populated. Should be an interesting weekend.

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Just hit level 15 on the trial account. Considering purchase. What do you figure is better, prepaid game time or a subscription?

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Been hooked since I started; loving the levelling progression so far. Character name of the server is Monovial.

personate-rain