Author Topic: Randi  (Read 12017 times)

Offline obstreperous

• Off to a Start
Skeptic Wars
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 02:08:10 PM »
I think the skeptical podcast wars are looming over the horizon like an ominious cloud of winged pigs.

The return of the skepticality podcast brought with it the announcement that they had partnered with Michael Shermer and now Derek and Swoopy are the official podcast of Skeptic magazine...

Now we have the Skeptic's Guide teaming up with the great one, James Randi and affiliating themselves with JREF.

Let's try to keep it civil...I would hate to see the millions of dollars in advertising both groups receive cause bad blood among the skeptic community as you ramp up the vitriol in a competitive onslaught driven by greed to draw in more and more listeners to feed your hunger for money and power.

:wink:

Congratulations Guys.
bi dubium, ibi libertas

Offline Erik

• Not Enough Spare Time
Randi
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
I love the addition of Randi.

I notice too that he is willing to look at religion skeptically whereas it seemed the earlier policy of the show has been to avoid religion except where it comes into conflict with science. Does this indicate a loosening of that policy? I'm curious because it could open the way for other guests.

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Randi
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »
Quote from: "Erik"
I love the addition of Randi.

I notice too that he is willing to look at religion skeptically whereas it seemed the earlier policy of the show has been to avoid religion except where it comes into conflict with science. Does this indicate a loosening of that policy? I'm curious because it could open the way for other guests.

Religion, by its very definition, is incompatible with science. I'm glad to hear people like Randi and Sam Harris coming out and denouncing it for what it really is: just plain ignorant superstition (although some of Harris' other positions are a little confusing, to say the least.)
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

personate-rain