Author Topic: Julian Assange's Unauthorized Autobiography  (Read 1864 times)

Offline zalty

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Feng shui black belt
Julian Assange's Unauthorized Autobiography
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
The autobiography of Julian Assange is set to be published for the first time tomorrow despite attempts by the WikiLeaks founder to suppress his tell-all memoir after a bitter and acrimonious row with its publisher.

Sources have told The Independent that the WikiLeaks founder was increasingly uncomfortable about how the book contained too many personal biographical details and read less like a political manifesto than he had hoped for. On 7 June he informed Canongate that he wanted to cancel his contract. Mr O’Hagan, meanwhile, became increasingly uncomfortable about the furore over book and asked for his name to be kept off the memoir. The result is a memoir ostensibly written by the WikiLeaks founder entitled: “Julian Assange: The Unauthorised Autobiography”.

At the time Mr Assange trumpeted the deal, saying he hoped his book would become “one of the unifying documents of our generation” which would explain his “global struggle to force a new relationship between the people and their governments.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-julian-assange-autobiography-set-to-be-published-tomorrow-2358532.html

This book has jumped to the top of my reading list.
If you threaten me with hell I'll punch your aura.

Offline gs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • SkepticEvents.com
Re: Julian Assange's Unauthorized Autobiography
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
some commenter, who posted on the article in the OP, and I had a similar reaction reading the article...
"despite attempts by the WikiLeaks founder to suppress his tell-all
memoir"

The irony Kills Me ;-)

too funny

Offline zalty

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Feng shui black belt
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
Not to mention that the ultimate bit of irony... the title.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:53:43 PM by zalty »
If you threaten me with hell I'll punch your aura.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
I can't bring myself to care about this guy.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
I can't bring myself to care about this guy.

You and everyone else apparently. It sold the grand total of 644 copies in it's first three days on sale in the UK.

Offline vjp1018

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
What is with the antipathy towards Assange? Wikileaks is great for the world, exposing the all of the criminality. The "collateral murder" video alone....and the news that Hillary ordering state department employees to spy on UN leaders...wikileaks brings transparency.

Offline Shadow Of A Doubt

• Well Established
  • Talk to the whiskers
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:28 PM »
I think it might have something to do with the fact that he's an arrogant blowhard.
"What, are you also proposing some magical colour midway between black and white?  Shall we call it "whack", maybe, or "blite"?  Nice imagination there, buddy."
amysrevenge

Offline vociferous

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Pacific Skeptics
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »
The guy has had his fifteen minutes.  I am glad the media has largely stopped paying attention to him.  I would suspect he may have some serious psychological issues relating to narcissistic personality disorder or something similar.  He seems to alienate everyone he works with, from the New York Times to the publisher of his "auto"biography.

The ultimate irony for me was when he blasted the Guardian for publishing unauthorized details of his criminal indictment.  I did not have much respect for him before that and what little remained was eliminated by his hypocrisy. 

Offline vjp1018

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:34 AM »
psychological issues relating to narcissistic personality

I think you just described every US President/politician. At least Assange has done something productive in his life.

Offline vociferous

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Pacific Skeptics
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
psychological issues relating to narcissistic personality

I think you just described every US President/politician. At least Assange has done something productive in his life.

I actually was thinking about that when I wrote it, but I believe the definition of a psychological or psychiatric disorder includes the necessary condition that it cause serious negative impacts to an individual's personal or professional quality of life.  I'm sure that Bush and Obama have large egos, but probably not to the point where it has a serious and negative impact on their quality of life.

Assange, on the other hand, has alienated almost everyone who he has worked with and issues public statements that appear to be little more than paranoid fantasies.  I do not know much about psychology, but unless it is just for show, I suspect that it is indicative of something more than a large ego.   

personate-rain