Author Topic: Orson Scott Card rewrites Shakespeare  (Read 4022 times)

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
Re: Orson Scott Card rewrites Shakespeare
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Yes, I'm going to post my Ender books to Mr. Card (after, of course, I line my kitty's litterbox with them for a few weeks). Need to go look up that shipping address.

Offline Jordan

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
I hate learning how terrible people that I used to look up to are.

But I still love Ender's Game soooooooooooooo much.

I'm not giving it up.

But I'm not buying anything else of Card's.

:( . Why can't people not be ridiculous?

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
Yeah, Ender's Game is awesome, even though some of the rest of the series is a bit dodgy. I've only read the sequel to Ender's Game, I forget the title of it, but I couldn't quite make it through the rest of the series. The two series (Maker and Ender) share similar elements - after the original work, you find out that Ender has a Mission, for instance. Ender is the best of the best and wins even when he shouldn't (I mean, come on, a protagonist that doesn't have any true defeats gets kind of boring) and he wins even when he doesn't (he kills people, but doesn't get in trouble for it, for instance).
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »
Someone tell me Brandon Sanderson is more sane than Orson Scott Card.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 11:26:43 PM »
Dude, Brandon Sanderson is the man.

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 03:34:42 AM »

http://brandonsanderson.com/article/51/EUOLogy-Dumbledores-Homosexuality

Certainly more sane, but still Mormon. Which means his views on homosexuality are colored by it.

Still an amazing author, though.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 05:26:48 AM »
How Mormon is he? Because his first big series featured a female protagonist who kicked ass, took names and became a god. At the very least, it's hard to find Mormon doctrine in his books. And I've read all of them (I think).

Now I'm concerned that the Mormons are trying to take over fantasy. >.<

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Ok, so the review makes seem like it will suck but is it that different from "westside story" or "10 things I hate about you"?
Neither of those movies had the hidden moral of "gay sex is wrong pedophilia is awesome"?
Assuming the one reviewer wasn't reading a little to much in between the lines.  I really can't comment on his anti-gay agenda has I haven't read the book and have no plans to.  I gave up on Card years ago. 

@Panda,

Isn't one of there beliefs that all good mormons go on to become a god of there own planet.  Sounds very mormon to me.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
Isn't one of there beliefs that all good mormons go on to become a god of there own planet.  Sounds very mormon to me.

Mormon "cosmology" is a many silly thing. If you see one (a mormon) have them whiteboard it for you, or chalkboard it (remember Glenn Beck's chalkboards? Yeah... Mormons need room to spread out the crazy... The chalkboards are a Wardhouse thing). If you find a sharp one (mormon), he could (and it's always gonna be a he, because the Aaronotic priesthood is the diagraming program) might be able to sum it all up on a legal pad right there on the spot.

But yes, planethood dominion in the Celestial Kingdom... Eventually. There is still a lot of red tape and polygamous hoops to jump through in the afterlife.

If you're feeling plucky, ask about their archeological efforts in S. America, or the where the location of Eden is (Illinois), or the genetic evidence linking jewness to native americans, or about the Moon Men or the Sun People... Or about God's home planet Kolob, or is it Cobalt? Crap, I'm mixing up Mormon story time with another sci fi franchise. You know, the North Star... That one... That is where God lives.

But speaking of which, Battlestar Galactica anyone?

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »
Ok, so the review makes seem like it will suck but is it that different from "westside story" or "10 things I hate about you"?
Neither of those movies had the hidden moral of "gay sex is wrong pedophilia is awesome"?
Assuming the one reviewer wasn't reading a little to much in between the lines.  I really can't comment on his anti-gay agenda has I haven't read the book and have no plans to.  I gave up on Card years ago. 

@Panda,

I don't want to spoil the series, but the female protagonist I mentioned doesn't stay a god (and her male counterpart/lover is never as powerful as she is). And it's fantasy, people in fantasy get superpowerful all the time. Plus, sanderson doesn't beat you over the head about it. His characters are very genuine, fallable, and unlike Cards' characters, have conflicts. Sandderson might not be a crazy Mormon, either (not-crazy Mormons exist). And a huge difference between sanderson and Card is that the females in his stories have a purpose outside of being the perfect mate for their men. It's actually possible that the women end up saving the day.

I'm not saying any anti-gay opinions Sanderson has are okay because of other characteristics, he's just a way better story-teller than Card.

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Panda, you have to realize that every author injects their personal beliefs into their stories. There's a ton of Mormon/religious symbolism in the Mistborn trilogy and Elantris, it just so happens that those of us outside of the Mormon religion just aren't well versed enough in Mormon theology to spot them while we're reading. Just for that reason, I don't think Sanderson is any better an author than Card. I think they both have talent, it's just easier for us to spot Card's religiosity.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
It seems to me that we might rather lose our contempt for Bowdler’s attempt to make Shakespeare watchable to the audience of his time, and realize that the standards of taste and decorum change from age to age, and it is not at all unreasonable to make such temporary changes in the script as will allow a play to continue to find an audience.

Yeeeaaah, because Shakespeare really has a tough time finding an audience and could really do with a popularity boost.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
Card had a Series called the Homecoming saga that is ostensibly a science fiction series, but may as well be a rewriting of the book of Mormon. God is an AI that lives in a satellite and can communicate telepathically only with certain people. Jealous tribesmen then force these special people to leave.

The goal of the AI is to get them to a new planet that they can rule over.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
Yeah, for better or for worse, Card is just more obvious.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Yeah, for better or for worse, Card is just more obvious.
Yeah, that was my point. :P I don't even have a problem with the Mormon flavoring in fantasy stories, because that's what religion is anyway. It's just the beating-you-over-the-head with black and white morality and one-dimensional characters that really gets under my skin.

personate-rain