Author Topic: Watch Tower says former JW's have diseased minds.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
Watch Tower says former JW's have diseased minds.
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:14 PM »
Just had an argument with a friend at work who is a JW. Here's why this pisses me off. If you don't like being referred to as a "cult"...then don't act like a cult! Saying you would never associate yourself with an apostate because they might poison you rmind...seriously? That's what Scientilogists do and that is one reason they get saddled as a cult. You can't whine about how you are so oppressed and at the same time oppress others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/war-of-words-breaks-out-among-jehovahs-witnesses-2361448.html
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline Jolimont

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Watch Tower says former JW's have diseased minds.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
JW's are definitely a cult, just ask any Mormon or Scientology!!!
Mormons are kinder to their apostates, but it's best to keep your "ex-mormoness" out of the conversation when living in the Intermountain West area of the US.

Offline veganerd

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
being raised as a jw really sucked.  i decided it was all bullshit when i was 12 and started telling my family which is why i have no contact with what used to be my closest relatives.  they are an evil cult no doubt.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
One problem I have is that I often get ex Jehovah Witnesses tell me things and the JW themselves deny it. . . .
Is there a systematic policy in place?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
One problem I have is that I often get ex Jehovah Witnesses tell me things and the JW themselves deny it. . . .

The systematic policy I've seen is one of justification for the dogma rather than denying the accusations. That is only my limited experience though. My friend readily admitted that he would never associate with an apostate, but it's OK to hang out with me, an atheist. He compared it to being in the army and one of your fellow soldiers defected to the enemies side. False equivalency, but that was his comparison.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
The new reasonable doubts is an interview with a former elder from the JW. Ask your friend to look up when temple was destroyed and when armageddon took place.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:31:25 PM by seaotter »
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
Diseased minds? Sounds like the Watch Tower.

Yes, there is. I am not knowledgeable as to the specifics, my areas are Mormons and Scienos. An ex JW would have to explain the specifics about how this works in-group.

Offline veganerd

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

yes there is.   its called theocratic warfare and while they supposedly dont encourage this practice anymore, they lie about that too. 
basically you arent ever supposed to lie to another jehovahs witness but if you feel the need to lie to anyone else in order to protect the religion then you can do so.   

if you want to hear anything hilarious, ask your ex jw friends about smurfs.  if they are in their 30's or older they will have their stories. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
I have to say that the reasonable doubt episode was excellent on them
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »

yes there is.   its called theocratic warfare and while they supposedly dont encourage this practice anymore, they lie about that too. 
basically you arent ever supposed to lie to another jehovahs witness but if you feel the need to lie to anyone else in order to protect the religion then you can do so.   

if you want to hear anything hilarious, ask your ex jw friends about smurfs.  if they are in their 30's or older they will have their stories.

Wait...Smurfs?!  Please elaborate.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
Oh yeah! The JW Smurf affair. Please, do go on... :munch:

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
You know, I am not afraid to speak to an "Ex-Atheist"
Listed to a few and generally I have found their arguments to be poor
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline veganerd

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
”Wait...Smurfs?! Please elaborate”

The story I was always told was that smurfs were actual witches and used real spells on the cartoon.  One time during a meeting (church service)  an elder brought a stuffed smurf up on stage to talk about how evil they are.  Halfway through the talk the stuffed smurf got up and walked out of the kingdom hall.  people actually believed it.  Adults believe it. 

Another one was about the kid who had smurf curtains.  Every night the smurfs came alive and danced around his room chanting spells.   

Not the most skeptical bunch of people.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »
”Wait...Smurfs?! Please elaborate”

The story I was always told was that smurfs were actual witches and used real spells on the cartoon.  One time during a meeting (church service)  an elder brought a stuffed smurf up on stage to talk about how evil they are.  Halfway through the talk the stuffed smurf got up and walked out of the kingdom hall.  people actually believed it.  Adults believe it. 

Another one was about the kid who had smurf curtains.  Every night the smurfs came alive and danced around his room chanting spells.   

Not the most skeptical bunch of people.

I had to google the smurf thing after you peaked my interest...my face is sore from the palming.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Bump. It's quite clear that the JW organization is run by diseased minds. I have been enjoying the videos on YouTube produced by ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, they're a helpful bunch. This short video gives insight into the lifestyle Jehovah has in store for you and you had better smile,

personate-rain