Author Topic: World War Z" movie - Correction to comment made on podcast  (Read 1526 times)

Offline smokeyjoe

• Brand New
World War Z" movie - Correction to comment made on podcast
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »
Pre-Script: If anyone can remind me what podcast they briefly talked about the World War Z movie adaptation coming out, I'd like to know and post this on that eps discussion topic.

Anyway, just for all us zombie-genre fans (as well as readers of the book/audio performance), fortunately World War Z will NOT be (as was relayed during convo in one of the recent episodes) that it will be about a UN guy/reporter running around trying to STOP the outbreak.

The movie will take place over a decade after either the outbreak or after "victory" was declared. Brad Pitt (the UN reporter) is going around interviewing survivors, getting a first-hand account of the war (just like the book). This should be pretty safe - J Michael Straczynski wrote the screenplay, and "sources" say its not only a good adaptation, it ushers the possibility of a zombie movie actually going up for best drama. Anyway, if anyone could do it, JMS could...

TBH, if he could make a cohesive, good screenplay out of a book that reads like a UN report, full of individual narratives, then I'd say go all the way - film adaptation of the Foundation series. Now THAT would be a challenge (at least for the original trilogy).

smokey joe

Offline Pscheptyck

• Off to a Start
Re: World War Z" movie - Correction to comment made on podcast
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »
Please post a link attesting to this fact.
Here is one source that claims the opposite:
http://m.io9.com/5830389/world-war-z-movie-synopsis-is-nothing-like-the-book-internet-melts-down

Here is another:
http://collider.com/world-war-z-movie-synopsis/108530/

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
Yep, I've heard/read the opposite from several sources. Not saying you're wrong (one erroneous report can travel quickly), I'd just love to see a credible source saying what you're saying.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:09:53 PM by Moloch »

Offline Pscheptyck

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »
Yep, I've heard/read the opposite from several sources. Not saying your wrong (one erroneous report can travel quickly), I'd just love to see a credible source saying what you're saying.

I tried to see if the several websites I went to were from the same source, but I couldn't tell.  All the sites I found doing a Google search were from around the same time period between Aug 10th and 15th of this year and I didn't see anything more recent than that.  I am not saying that I am right, but currently the evidence points to a different synopsis than the OP.

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »
Yep, I've heard/read the opposite from several sources. Not saying your wrong (one erroneous report can travel quickly), I'd just love to see a credible source saying what you're saying.

I tried to see if the several websites I went to were from the same source, but I couldn't tell.  All the sites I found doing a Google search were from around the same time period between Aug 10th and 15th of this year and I didn't see anything more recent than that.  I am not saying that I am right, but currently the evidence points to a different synopsis than the OP.

Arrg, I should have made myself clearer. I was also addressing the OP, not you.

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
I haven't read anything about the script but they were filming here in Glasgow last month and it appeared that the scenes they were shooting were during the war.

There were reports in the local press (not reliable of course!) that Brad Pitt helped an extra who was nearly crushed in the middle of a scene where the crowd was panicking and trying to run away from something.

Offline Pscheptyck

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »

Arrg, I should have made myself clearer. I was also addressing the OP, not you.

Ok, makes sense now. I thought maybe I came across as, "you are wrong, prove otherwise" towards the OP and that was not my intention.  I hope smokeyjoe is correct, but, as I have previously stated, all evidence currently points to a much different movie than the book.

EDIT: Using the quote function isn't as easy on a phone as I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:01:50 PM by Pscheptyck »

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
I really hope they follow the book. It is such a good idea for a movie that I don't want it to turn into a gore fest when this could be a very good movie.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
So, the situation seems to be:

Zombification takes only a minute or two after infection - pretty much making the events and the spread described in the book completely unworkable.

It is set during the war, with Pitt as a UN worker racing to save his family.

The zombies are now fast zombies, for some reason. As a result, the Battle of Yonkers is now not an intentional battle where the military is prepared, because the zombies move too fast for them to be ready. And its portrayed from the point of view of a general watching on satellite surveilance instead of a soldier. And its set in philadelphia for some reason.

So... basically it sounds nothing like the books. Or, they took all the interesting parts of the book and removed them so as not to upset the american movie going idiots public.

Oh! I nearly forgot. Rumour is its being targeted at a PG rating.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:02 AM »
So, the situation seems to be:

Zombification takes only a minute or two after infection - pretty much making the events and the spread described in the book completely unworkable.

It is set during the war, with Pitt as a UN worker racing to save his family.

The zombies are now fast zombies, for some reason. As a result, the Battle of Yonkers is now not an intentional battle where the military is prepared, because the zombies move too fast for them to be ready. And its portrayed from the point of view of a general watching on satellite surveilance instead of a soldier. And its set in philadelphia for some reason.

So... basically it sounds nothing like the books. Or, they took all the interesting parts of the book and removed them so as not to upset the american movie going idiots public.

Oh! I nearly forgot. Rumour is its being targeted at a PG rating.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(