Author Topic: Who is Your Favorite/Most Read Author?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Who is Your Favorite/Most Read Author?
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
I'm bored over Christmas.  Someone post a terrible answer like Orson Scott Card so we can get drum up more drama in this section of the forum.   >:D

Anyway I started another massive Stephenson tome and was curious who my most read authors were.  Extracting data from Goodreads (they used to have a most read authors option but unfortunately it has disappeared) it looks like I've read 8 books and ~6700 pages by Neal Stephenson.  Terry Pratchett is close behind with a similar page count spread out over 20 books.  For non-fiction I've read 7 Stephen Jay Gould books and ~2600 pages, and I think at this point he qualifies as my favorite science writer.  The whole LBJ series by Robert Caro is 3300 pages, but I'd guess like 700 of those are probably footnotes.

Obviously you don't have to post hard data here on your reading stats, I'm just curious if there are any die-hard devotees of particular authors.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Who is Your Favorite/Most Read Author?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »
Tried the four book set "Thunder and Lighting" by John Varley?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »
Not gonna lie, I can listen to the Lord of the Rings audiobook over and over and over.  Ever since I started my deep-dive LoTR course I can't get enough.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Recently it would be Joe Abercrombie, Brian McClellan, and Mary Robinette Kowal

Over my lifetime it would be the classic sci-fi/fantasy writers like Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov and J.R.R.Tolkien

Offline justlexi93

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »
Most of the books that I have at home is written by Stephen King.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »
Authors that have most influenced me:

Kurt Vonnegut
Joseph Heller
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Frank Hebert
Asimov
Amazing Randi
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32:37 AM »
Jack L. Chalker and Alan Dean Foster tied for shear number of titles.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
Hard to say but probably one of the following:

Larry Niven
Frank Herbert
Tolkien
Pratchett.

I basically no longer read since having children, I'm pretty sure my reading took a dramatic down turn after my head injury, so those are mostly things I read in my youth.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »

I own more books by Pratchett than by any other author.

Next in line are Iain (M or no M) Banks, then Stephen King.
Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, Gene Wolf and Ursula LeGuin get large amounts of shelf space. Got most of Richard Wiseman's self-help style oeuvre too. He sits on a shelf with a load of magic books (card magic, conjuring and mentalism), magic books (Castaneda, the philandering liar), religious tomes (Siddhartha, a bible, buddhist handbooks), and other items of dubious content or personal interest.

Probably my current favourite author is China Mieville (listening to Embassytown at the moment). Since getting Audible I have not bought many physical books.

I have a load of Calvin and Hobbes collections and several Ruth Manning-Sanders folk story collections (Charms and Changelings, Ghosts and Ghouls, etc).

In the bedroom my daughters share there are a lot of Roald Dahl books (almost the complete set) and also Jacqueline Wilson, David Walliams and Michael Morpurgo. Phillip Pullman too.

I could go on - I like to get sets of works by the same author and kind of sink back into their style and world building.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

personate-rain