Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 107373 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #1005 on: October 26, 2018, 03:07:53 AM »
The last book I read was ‘the Lost Man’ by Jane Harper.  It’s almost the classic Australian novel.  Two brothers meet at an isolated grave of a stockman who died in 189-, with his headstone engraved with ‘he went astray’ over the body of their brother who went missing the previous day and who apparently died of exposure in the Queensland hot summer.  His car was located 9 km away - fully stocked with everything one needs for a week; food, water, and of course beer.

It’s very good.  I wasn’t expecting the ending.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1006 on: November 03, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
Thomas from Opening Arguments recommended White Fragility last week.  So I read it.  May have been an issue with continuously reading it while sleepy, but it was a bit of a chore to get through and felt very repetitive at times.  Despite not caring for the writing that much, the central concept of the book is eye-opening.  Basically white people have been leveraging their own weaknesses and ignorance about race into a strength, shutting down any real conversation about their obvious prejudices.  A major theme is how despite the overall progress made during the Civil Rights era, one of the downsides is the creation of a dichotomoy of "racist=bad, nonracist=good".  This has made it impossible to explain to anyone who thinks of themselves as a decent person that they can still be a racist prick.

#Mayocide can't come soon enough  >:D

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1007 on: November 17, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
Bad Blood by John Carreyrou - 10/10
A must read.   See the other thread by fuzzyMarmot for more info.

Halfway through One Person, No Vote by Carol Anderson and I'm honestly not sure if I can finish it.  Not because of bad writing, but because it is stomach-churning and horribly depressing.  Perhaps it is the previous lead-in books I read, perhaps it is the gloominess of an early winter, perhaps it is living in a small Midwestern town that is oblivious to anything happening in the rest of the country.  I've never felt so ashamed of white people.  We are basically trying to implement a modern statistical version of the 3/5 compromise across the country, with the full blessing of the Supreme Court, every single right-wing news source, and the President.  I wish there was a hell for John Roberts to burn in for Shelby County v. Holder.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
I listened to Ezra Klein interview Carol Anderson on his podcast, and I came away with the same feeling of despair. I'm not sure I could face reading the whole book.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1009 on: January 25, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
Really enjoyed both the sex politics and the Jack London-ish winter treks in The Left Hand of Darkness.  9/10

Adding a lot more Ursula K. Le Guin to my reading list.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1010 on: January 25, 2019, 05:48:55 PM »
Really enjoyed both the sex politics and the Jack London-ish winter treks in The Left Hand of Darkness.  9/10

Glad to see you raised yourself from your political malaise. ;)
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1011 on: January 25, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »

Glad to see you raised yourself from your political malaise. ;)

I had to ban myself from the 300s section of the library for the winter.  :)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: January 27, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »
I just listened to "What is Real: The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics" by Adam Becker. Becker was interviewed on the SGU (episode 670).

I enjoyed the book much more than I expected. In general, I hate popular physics book that are not grounded in mathematics. I'm also not usually interested in philosophy. This book was extremely well-written, and kinda changed my mind on both of those points. In particular, it gave me a greater appreciation for the role of philosophy in science.

Has anyone else read this book?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1013 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
Count Zero by William Gibson.
It's basically the same story as Neuromancer but with more relatable characters and a plot that makes more sense. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1014 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
Lagoon by Nnedi Okarofor

I think Stephen King fans would dig this book.  It's a first contact story that takes place in Nigeria and incorporates a lot of Nigerian culture and mysticism. The story is a bit simplistic but the writing style is told like an African fable, which gives it a unique flavor and reading experience. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #1015 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »
Well, I just finished reading book 6 of a Wheel in Time. Up to this point books 2 and 3 were the best.

I can see why some people find 4 5 and 6 a drag. But I did not. Very little action happens during these books. And it is mostly setup for the climax and world building. But I adore that, and I can see people getting tired of it. If I were to reread them, I would skip these books or large swaths of them at least.

I seem to be reading, well listening, to a book a month. I was planing on taking a small break before book 7. but the ending of Book 6 has a turning point and I really want to see the consequences of it in Book 7.

Regardless I was thinking of reading Heinlein. I wanted to reread Friday, since it is light (for Heinlein), or pick something new from him. Any suggestion for a fun read from Heinlein? I've read everything related to the expande universe, Tunnel in the sky, Starship troopers and some other ones I can't recall.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1016 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
Halfway through Flight of the Iguana by David Quammen.  Fantastic, as I expected.  Quammen may have edged out Stephen Jay Gould as my favorite nature writer.

I picked up this book as my last "relaxing" read before diving back into some serious political or history topics.  It's turning out to be anything but.  If you want proof that we now reside in hellworld, start reading books on environmental science from the 80s.  Coral reefs were being threatened by an invasive starfish species that now seems like a laughable threat compared to acidic bleaching from climate change.  James Lovelock's "Gaia Hypothesis" is criticized not for being hippie-nonsense, but for downplaying the negative impact of human beings on the climate.  There's even a story of El Salvadorian refugees crossing the Sonoran Desert, and this obscure government bureaucrat Eliot Abrams points out that they don't meet the official definition of refugees, and are properly considered economic migrants.  Good thing we'll never hear from that guy ever again.

Politics aside, the writing about evolution and ecology is top notch.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:35:56 PM by Sawyer »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1017 on: March 15, 2019, 02:28:04 AM »
"21 Lessons for the 21st Century" Harari.

10/10; as good as "Sapiens" and better than "Homo Deus", IMHO.  The penultimate and final chapters were amazing. 

Maybe the next issue will be a collaboration with Sam Harris.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1018 on: March 15, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
http://capecodufo.com/

Free for now. I appreciate what the author has done with this self published book. He uses a narrative to basically argue skeptical ideas about UFOs, cults, and conspiracies. It's kinda Demon Haunted World as a comedy novel. Not a great work of literature but I found myself looking forward to down time at work so I could tuck into the ebook copy on my iPad. Lots of themes but also a kind of cautionary tale. The three main skeptical characters all have to compromise their skepticism in some way (for money, for love, for the truth).

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1019 on: March 22, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »
Halfway through Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer.  Book number .... 7? in my quest to understand political hellworld.  I'll have to make a list at some point.

Koch Brothers seem like old news at this point, but if you want verification that they are not merely exaggerated boogeymen for liberals and are in fact responsible for destroying the last vestiges of honesty and intellectualism on the political right, look no further.  It seems like there's not a single think tank, newspaper, or right-leaning university department in the entire country that they didn't dump money into, all while writing off these donation for tax breaks.  The only question that is still unclear is whether or not the Kochs (along with Olin, Scaife, Bradley, etc...) are "true believers" in hyper-libertarian economics or if they know full well that it's all just a defense of their own wealth.  Doesn't really matter what the intent is though, since the outcome is the same.  The other interesting psychology angle that Mayer hints at in this book is how people like Charles Koch could quickly recognize the unhealthy conspiracy-mongering in their own fathers during the peak McCarthyism, but they either can't recognize or can't admit that they are doing the same thing 50 years later.

personate-rain