Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 105749 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #1020 on: March 25, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Just finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi (thank you TOR book club for the free ebook).

Loved it.  Classic SF feel, in modern terms.  I look forward to seeing where the story goes from here.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1021 on: March 25, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Just finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi (thank you TOR book club for the free ebook).

Loved it.  Classic SF feel, in modern terms.  I look forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

The sequel "The Consuming Fire" is also a really fun read. I was disappointed that it left out the story line from a main character in Collapsing Empire who you would expect some follow-up on.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1022 on: March 26, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

The sequel "The Consuming Fire" is also a really fun read. I was disappointed that it left out the story line from a main character in Collapsing Empire who you would expect some follow-up on.

Oh wow I grabbed that one last night (well done free book club, you got some $$ out of me), and it's even better.  I haven't gotten so lost in a book that I stayed up that far beyond bedtime in years.

One of the things I am really appreciating about it is that it has a lot of female sexuality in it, but not from a "male gaze" sort of perspective.  Or at least it doesn't feel that way to me.  It feels different from something like Heinlein in that regard.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #1023 on: March 26, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »

Oh wow I grabbed that one last night (well done free book club, you got some $$ out of me), and it's even better.  I haven't gotten so lost in a book that I stayed up that far beyond bedtime in years.

One of the things I am really appreciating about it is that it has a lot of female sexuality in it, but not from a "male gaze" sort of perspective.  Or at least it doesn't feel that way to me.  It feels different from something like Heinlein in that regard.

I'm mixed on if I like it more than the first. It's very close.

It's been a while but I recall John Scalzi was also good at writing female characters in The Old Mans War series as well. Although his characters are often sarcastic, foul mouthed sex addicts regardless of gender. The Emperox in Collapsing Empire is a really good change. She seems like a real person with more dimensions.

I do regret starting these books before more of them were released. Waiting is no fun.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #1024 on: March 27, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »

I'm mixed on if I like it more than the first. It's very close.

It's been a while but I recall John Scalzi was also good at writing female characters in The Old Mans War series as well. Although his characters are often sarcastic, foul mouthed sex addicts regardless of gender. The Emperox in Collapsing Empire is a really good change. She seems like a real person with more dimensions.

I do regret starting these books before more of them were released. Waiting is no fun.

I enjoyed both books as well, but feel they would have been better as one single novel. Separate, they're so slight. They're barely over 300 pages (if I recall correctly, at work and don't have access to my copies) which is incredibly short for novels nowadays. Neither are as good as any of the Old Man's War series, in my opinion. Scalzi has posted on his blog that he wrote Consuming Fire in one or two weeks...and I hate to say it the book reads like it. Again, enjoyable but short and not a lot of description of places or people. Still, I'll buy the next book...but maybe  wait for it in paperback rather than hardcover.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1025 on: March 28, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
about halfway through children of time by adrian Tchaikovsky.  It reminds me of Tolkien in that I respect the obvious hard work and care put into the world building but that doesn't mean the story is compelling.  Full review when I am done.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #1026 on: March 28, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
about halfway through children of time by adrian Tchaikovsky.  It reminds me of Tolkien in that I respect the obvious hard work and care put into the world building but that doesn't mean the story is compelling.  Full review when I am done.

Oh, Children of Time is EXCELLENT!! I knew nothing about it or the author but picked it up last summer using a Barnes & Noble coupon. Didn't make it out of my to-read pile until last December, but wow did I enjoy it! It's the best book I read all last year and I haven't read a book since that's been half as good.   I cannot recommend this one highly enough!! And good news: the sequel Children of Ruin comes out May 14th! I'm hoping it's a sequel that will measure up, will go the top of the pile immediately upon purchase! If you love stories of AI, colony ships, uplifted civilizations, vast histories, epic wars, and more.....read this book! I can't imagine you regretting it!! (in case I'm not being clear, I REALLY liked this book) 

Just um, arachnophobes may want to pass.....

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1027 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »

Oh, Children of Time is EXCELLENT!! I knew nothing about it or the author but picked it up last summer using a Barnes & Noble coupon. Didn't make it out of my to-read pile until last December, but wow did I enjoy it! It's the best book I read all last year and I haven't read a book since that's been half as good.   I cannot recommend this one highly enough!! And good news: the sequel Children of Ruin comes out May 14th! I'm hoping it's a sequel that will measure up, will go the top of the pile immediately upon purchase! If you love stories of AI, colony ships, uplifted civilizations, vast histories, epic wars, and more.....read this book! I can't imagine you regretting it!! (in case I'm not being clear, I REALLY liked this book) 

Just um, arachnophobes may want to pass.....

I think you are going to be disappointed with my review...
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
Children of Time Adrian Tchaikovsky.
7/10  I really wanted to like it more but there were some plot holes and really clumsy foreshadowing that were hard to get over.  I predicted the end pretty much spot on waaaay earlier in the book.  There was also a lot of shoddy science to the point where the tech is just magic.  This last bit doesn't usually bother me very much except that he seemed to really try to get the science right.  There were some pretty major problems with how evolution unfolded in the story and it was hard for me to get over the fact that the experiment that sets the whole plot in motion doesn't really make much sense.   

So the good, I thought the characters were interesting and strong and I liked the narrative devices that allowed us to follow the same characters for thousands of years.  There were interesting discussions of the nature of God and destiny, the  definitions of humanity, different kinds of intelligence, etc. 

nitpick
(click to show/hide)