Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 75620 times)

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #795 on: December 28, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
The Vegetarian by Han Kang

An extraordinary novel in 3 parts about opting out of familial and societal expectations and constraints. About control and obsession and desire, set in contemporary South Korea. Really good, with a very strong Marakami favour.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #796 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Paul Beatty - The Sellout

Caustic, abrasive racial satire set in North America. Slick and witty and hilarious.

Cosign! Powerful, sad, funny... satire that evokes so many dissonant emotions.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #797 on: January 08, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
Eileen by Otessa Moshfegh

Great novel about a young woman who is profoundly lonely and cares for her alcoholic father, works on a boys prison and is an ace shoplifter. A sophisticated charismatic person joins the prison staff and sets off a chain of events culminating in the protagonist committing a crime and leaving town for good.

Darkly funny.
Profoundly insightful into the condition of loneliness.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »

An extraordinary novel in 3 parts about opting out of familial and societal expectations and constraints. About control and obsession and desire, set in contemporary South Korea. Really good, with a very strong Marakami favour.

Just added to my queue of books to get. I've heard it is one of the best stories about hopelessness in modern writing.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #799 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »

Just added to my queue of books to get. I've heard it is one of the best stories about hopelessness in modern writing.

Yeah. It was strongly Kafka-esque too.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #800 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things 7/10
A book on trolls by an anthropologist.
She spent considerable time amongst them and highlights the issues with trusting them, its half history and half analysis which posits that trolling is more a part of our culture and history than many would like to concede. She goes on to highlight possible strategies for dealing with trolls.
Its ok. To be honest I was somewhat surprised by the abrupt end (the book is 40℅ footnotes) and dont feel like it really said much in the end.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #801 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things 7/10
A book on trolls by an anthropologist.
She spent considerable time amongst them and highlights the issues with trusting them, its half history and half analysis which posits that trolling is more a part of our culture and history than many would like to concede. She goes on to highlight possible strategies for dealing with trolls.
Its ok. To be honest I was somewhat surprised by the abrupt end (the book is 40℅ footnotes) and dont feel like it really said much in the end.

Damn.  This was on my shopping list too....
Well.  There it is.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #802 on: February 08, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
"The Case Against Sugar", Taubes.  10/10.  Great read by a great writer.  The book is written as a barrister might present a case in court; as stated in the beginning. 

A good conversational review here: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2017/02/gary_taubes_on.html
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline jsw

• Brand New
« Reply #803 on: February 10, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
The Devil's Footprints (graphic novel)
    - I felt like the verbiage in this book didn't fit my reading style.
    - The artwork was nice, but I didn't much get into the story
    - 6/10
    - This was my first graphic novel, and it's possible I'm the problem and not the book.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #804 on: February 13, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »
The Undoing Project-Michael Lewis
7/10
Forty years ago, Israeli psychologists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky wrote a series of breathtakingly original studies undoing our assumptions about the decision-making process. Their papers showed the ways in which the human mind erred, systematically, when forced to make judgments about uncertain situations. Their work created the field of behavioral economics, revolutionized Big Data studies, advanced evidence-based medicine, led to a new approach to government regulation, and made much of Michael Lewis’s own work possible. Kahneman and Tversky are more responsible than anybody for the powerful trend to mistrust human intuition and defer to algorithms.

The Undoing Project is about the fascinating collaboration between two men who have the dimensions of great literary figures. They became heroes in the university and on the battlefield—both had important careers in the Israeli military—and their research was deeply linked to their extraordinary life experiences. In the process they may well have changed, for good, mankind’s view of its own mind.
It works really well as a dual biography of two very fascinating people Khaneman and Tversky.  Lewis does a good job describing their relationship and how their experiences in the army and as a refugee in Kahneman case.  In particular, he makes a strong case that Israeli culture was a big part of how they were able to arrive at their ideas.

Where the book fails is in actually describing their achievements.  I had more questions than answers, and actually went and bought Kahneman's own book after finishing this one. 

PS
I have ever read one of Lewis's books before, but I found he has a weird grammatical style that threw me off. Has anyone else noticed this?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:35:11 AM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #805 on: February 13, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
God Hates Astronauts (Graphic Novel) ????/42

Laughed my ass off.....'nuff said.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #806 on: February 18, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
The Stand by Stephen King - 6/10
Pretty sure King's editors were right on this one.  I read the unabridged version, and while it had it's moments,  I could see an easy 400 pages of fat that could be trimmed down. Several very memorable characters (Nick, Frannie, Trashcanman), and a lot of really bland ones that are suddenly elevated to hero status towards the end of the book.  Disease stuff at the beginning is over the top but exciting.

I haven't read this in quite some time but imo it's the king book turned movie that came closest to getting it right.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #807 on: February 18, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
Not Lawnmower Man?!  :laugh:

Just finished The Dark Tower, The Gunslinger.
I don't understand how anyone who read this in 1982 would have been satisfied. It's a big chase scene and then nothing happens.
The writing was a little confusing at times, but he built an interesting world. I am going to try the next few and see if the writing matures and we get more story. Not unhappy I read it, but not satisfied either.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #808 on: February 18, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Not Lawnmower Man?!  :laugh:

Just finished The Dark Tower, The Gunslinger.
I don't understand how anyone who read this in 1982 would have been satisfied. It's a big chase scene and then nothing happens.
The writing was a little confusing at times, but he built an interesting world. I am going to try the next few and see if the writing matures and we get more story. Not unhappy I read it, but not satisfied either.

I think it was the 80s when I read that series. I was not satisfied.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #809 on: February 18, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
Hmmmm.

Define "satisfied"...

I think there was sufficient profluence to the novel. This is a thing any story needs. The tradition of having a developed "plot" is the most popular method of satisfying this requirement, but it can also be achieved by gradually solving a riddle or mystery, exploring an idea, or giving a sense of an intriguing setting that is able to imply a rich history of plots and subplots without the narrative directly commenting on any of them.

But on the other hand, a good novel, like a good stand up comedian, should never truly satisfy. You always want to leave them wanting more.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

personate-rain