Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 70634 times)

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #810 on: February 18, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
IIRC I found it boring.
It was long ago.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #811 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
Hmmmm.

Define "satisfied"...

I think there was sufficient profluence to the novel. This is a thing any story needs. The tradition of having a developed "plot" is the most popular method of satisfying this requirement, but it can also be achieved by gradually solving a riddle or mystery, exploring an idea, or giving a sense of an intriguing setting that is able to imply a rich history of plots and subplots without the narrative directly commenting on any of them.

But on the other hand, a good novel, like a good stand up comedian, should never truly satisfy. You always want to leave them wanting more.

I knew going in that it was part of a series. I have read plenty of other books that were not part of a series, until after the fact, but this book cannot stand on it's own merits as a complete story. It's really the first few chapters of a longer story and luckily King lived long enough to finish the series. This is the same reason I won't read Game of Thrones. I don't want to hand my life over to a huge series. If I want to quit at one I want to feel like I had a good time. This book was not a good time, literally NOTHING gets resolved, tied up or answered. And clearly you should always want to leave them wanting more, but forcing them to return to get anything is just frustrating. This is why people tend to hate sequel movies where it is known another movie is coming to finish it.

That said, I bought books 2 and 3 and I hope I can quit somewhere in there and be happy if I'm not 100% sold. I have too little time to waste on crap.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #812 on: February 20, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
Four is the best. Five is decent. Personally, I would say six and seven are skippable. Course, you would need to read a synopsis online somewhere, in order to know how the series actually ends.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #813 on: February 21, 2017, 02:53:56 AM »
Four is the best. Five is decent. Personally, I would say six and seven are skippable. Course, you would need to read a synopsis online somewhere, in order to know how the series actually ends.
damn it! Now I'm going to have to make it through 4.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #814 on: March 05, 2017, 02:09:21 AM »
"Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind", Yuval Harari.  10/10.  A great read.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #815 on: March 05, 2017, 04:54:49 AM »
I started with Scott Sigler's Ancestor, which I bought on Amazon some time ago and has been sitting unread on my Kindle ever since.

Wow. That was good. So I went on to Infected, which I had also bought at around the same time. It was so good I immediately bought the two sequels, Contagious and Pandemic, even though I had told myself I wouldn't buy any new books for a while.

I'd say that all four are at least 8/10. Well worth the read.

On a related note, I found it interesting that I can't watch horror movies, yet I can read books that are at least as horrifying as the best of the horror movie genre without any trouble at all. I don't know why that is the case.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #816 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »

Okay, sounds good. I'm getting it.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #817 on: March 26, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - 8ish/10. Because I grew up in the 1980s and I have a soul, The Princess Bride holds a special place in my heart. I fell in love with Princess Buttercup along with everyone else, adored the silly but still very adept fight scenes between the Dread Pirate Roberts and Inigo Montoya, and, well, like pretty much everyone my age I could probably quote the entire damn movie by heart if you gave me a bit of a head start. As a "tell all" type of book, this really doesn't reveal anything particularly new and exciting about the making, with the possible exception that it sat in script hell for a decade and a half (at one point Truffaut was even attached to it) before Rob Reiner finally managed to make a movie out of it. Otherwise... Andre the Giant was a prodigious drinker and eater (which I think everyone knew already), the role of Vizzini was originally intended for Danny DeVito (which, even given Wallace Shawn's memorable performance, totally makes sense, doesn't it?), apparently Elwes broke his toe in the middle of filming... it's *fun* and if you love Princess Bride this is if nothing else a good excuse to relive your enjoyment of it, but at the end of the day you're

Bossypants by Tina Fey, 7ish/10. I actually bought and read this a couple years ago but decided to re-read it because... let's just say that I am a member of a certain cult that she is affiliated with. Unfortunately there's just not a lot about said cult in the book (she does call it a cult! Only semi-jokingly!) and while she's very funny the book is already pretty dated. At the time it came out she was known primarily as the woman who was on Weekend Update and then impersonated Sarah Palin. She *was* doing 30 Rock at the time and there's even a couple of amusing anecdotes in there about Donald Glover, but this is waaaaaaaaaay before Kimmy Schmidt or the last couple of years of her sitcom that really cemented its place as a critic's choice that mass audiences never quite "got". I hope she writes another autobiography in a couple more years.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #818 on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »

There was a nice conversation with Sam Harris last week with Harari on Waking Up.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #819 on: March 26, 2017, 04:51:36 AM »

There was a nice conversation with Sam Harris last week with Harari on Waking Up.

I like 'Waking up'. I just bought an audio book by Sam Harris and Maajid Naslam called 'Islam and the Future of Tolerance'. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #820 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »
The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis - 9.5/10. Admittedly I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis and I really enjoy behavioral economics and so a book about the founding of that discipline is kind of right up my alley. Still, this is a well-written book, as much about the interpersonal drama between Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky as it is about behavioral econ itself and a great deal of fun. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because ONLY ELVIS GETS TENS and also, I don't know, this is going to sound way more hyperintellectual than I really mean but I feel like there's a point at which narrative fiction can get out some of the truths explored in this better than nonfiction can.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #821 on: March 30, 2017, 03:41:03 AM »
"Half Earth", E.O. Wilson.  8/10.  Full of depressing facts about biodiversity, something he knows better than anyone. He does rein in the math, though.  There are beautiful graphics by biologists from the 19th century at the start of every chapter. 

Warren Zevon

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #822 on: March 30, 2017, 04:13:28 AM »
A Slip of the Keyboard --  Terry Pratchett --  10/10

A collection of articles, editorials, and speeches personally compiled by Pratchett in his final years.

Incredible insight into the life of a professional writer: full of Pratchett's wit, and probably a lot of great advice if writing is involved in your life in any form. As a fan, it was at times difficult to read, in that he spoke so freely and eloquently of his impending death... but my god, it's great. It's a fun and entertaining read which often made me set the book down and just think.

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - 8ish/10.
(click to show/hide)

I own this book, but have yet to read it. This made me a little more excited to move it up my list.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #823 on: March 30, 2017, 05:12:03 AM »

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - 8ish/10.
(click to show/hide)

I own this book, but have yet to read it. This made me a little more excited to move it up my list.

Likewise. I have it on audiobook.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #824 on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »
I'm busy listening to 'Barbarian Days:A Surfing Life' by William Finnegan. I think it won the Pulitzer for best memoir last year.

It's superb. The descriptions of the ocean and waves and rides are sublime and beautiful and endlessly fresh and novel. And he reveals all sorts of fascinating details about his cultish surfing obsession and world wide travels.It's  a lens into a beautiful strange world.

@Daniel1948 - I think you would especially enjoy it because he describes a lot of your kayaking spots and I'm sure his love of the ocean would resonate with you.

personate-rain