Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 75953 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #855 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Birdbox
6/10

I love the premise of the story, and I had high hopes for the novel because I loved the script written by Eric Heisserer (I guess Netflix now is making this with Sandra Bollock), but it honestly felt like it was written for the YA set.
It has its moments, and it is a quick read, but the language was just too basic to really involve me in the story.
I think it will make an excellent movie though, so definitely check that out if you skip the novel.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #856 on: August 28, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
I'm about a third of the way through birdbox and have been for a month. Like you say it's got its moments, and the premise is engaging, but the writing isn't. Glad to hear they've optioned for a movie. I'll give up on trying to get myself to finish.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #857 on: August 28, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
Reread of "Fooled By Randomness".  What a great book.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #858 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
The End of the Day by Claire North
9.5/10

Charlie is the Harbinger of Death. You can't be picky, having graduated into a recession. He is sent ahead of his employer, sometimes as a courtesy, sometimes as a warning.

In just over a hundred short, beautifully written chapters, Charlie travels the world to visit those who might soon die and the moments when ideas pass out of the world, all while trying to work out why his job is worth doing. It's not an easy story, but it manages to imbue the bleakness it describes - like Syria, global warming, diet pills, foreclosure - with a spark of hope.

Best novel I've read in months. It's going to stay with me for a bit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:34:57 AM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »
We are Legion (We are Bob) - 8/10

Just finished this in a couple of days thanks to Bob's recommendation on the last episode of the SGU.  Very fun little book with a decent amount of more realistic sci-fi (though admittedly, the core tech is still pretty hand-wavy) and some interesting ideas about what exploring space could be like with AI instead of humans.  Nothing in this book is fall-out-of-your-chair amazing or ground-breaking, but it's witty, creative, and just a fun light read.  I saw one review that mentioned Taylor writes in a manner similar to Crichton and I have to agree.  Overall, I'd feel pretty comfortable in recommending this book to just about anyone who frequents this site.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

It's a strange read in 2017.  I think we face many of the problems alluded to in the book, but the people watching us are not the government, it's facebook and google.
I had never used Facebook with my real name. Two years ago they insisted I start using my given name. I just walked away. Last week they sent me a email saying they missed me and my new page was ready. It had my real name on it. I deleted it immediately.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
We are Legion (We are Bob) - 8/10

Just finished this in a couple of days thanks to Bob's recommendation on the last episode of the SGU.  Very fun little book with a decent amount of more realistic sci-fi (though admittedly, the core tech is still pretty hand-wavy) and some interesting ideas about what exploring space could be like with AI instead of humans.  Nothing in this book is fall-out-of-your-chair amazing or ground-breaking, but it's witty, creative, and just a fun light read.  I saw one review that mentioned Taylor writes in a manner similar to Crichton and I have to agree.  Overall, I'd feel pretty comfortable in recommending this book to just about anyone who frequents this site.
I also enjoyed this thoroughly.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online Jaloopa

• Off to a Start
« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
Demonhome by Mighael G Manning (linked to the entire series since you wouldn't want to jump straight to this one)

The latest in the Mageborn series. There's some great world building throughout the series, and this throws alternative worlds into the mix, which have been mentioned previously but never explored.

The series is some of the best fantasy I've read recently, with a well fleshed out magic system and relatable characters

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
I read (audible) the Three Body Problem series. Overall, I enjoyed it for many reasons. The cultural divide and underlying assumptions in the story are more alien than the aliens, really. There are cultural and societal developments that don't make a lot of sense to me.

Overall, I 100% recommend this as a listen and/or read. It is impressive.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #864 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
I work best and most productively when I can occasionally distract myself from routine tasks. Hence, I've been reading classic lit from Gutenberg.org. My latest was The Three Musketeers by Dumas. It is so good. 10/10. Even its Frenchness doesn't detract from it. It's exciting, well-written and in fact very funny in places, right up to the point where it gets very, very dark.

It struck me that there are four major characters in the book that are entirely omitted from every modern treatment of the story I have seen. The lackeys - Planchet, Mousqueton, Grimaud and Bazin. They play a major part in the story, but I suspect that the reason they are omitted is that they are depicted basically as slaves and the four primary characters treat them quite poorly. Grimaud - Athos' lackey - for example is not permitted to speak on pain of a "thrashing". D'Artagnan "thrashes" Planchet, which somehow makes Planchet more loyal, and at one point D'Artagnan reflects that he will need to continue this treatment, since it works so well.

Regardless, it's a great book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #865 on: October 14, 2017, 04:27:18 AM »
I just re-read Brian Aldiss' classic Helliconia trilogy. 8/10 It still holds up 3 decades after I last read them. Especially the brilliant 3rd book "Helliconia Winter"

I read (audible) the Three Body Problem series.
Great book series. The last book got a little too Philosophical and a bit less hard science, but overall it is a fantastic series.

Hence, I've been reading classic lit from Gutenberg.org.

If you like Gutenberg.org (I use it as well), can I suggest also trying https://standardebooks.org/
They take Public Domain books and edit and format them to make them easier to read. They remove those annoying spelling mistakes and formatting issues that some Public Domain books have.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:29:48 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #866 on: October 14, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
If you like Gutenberg.org (I use it as well), can I suggest also trying https://standardebooks.org/
They take Public Domain books and edit and format them to make them easier to read. They remove those annoying spelling mistakes and formatting issues that some Public Domain books have.
I find Gutenberg to be pretty reliable.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #867 on: October 15, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
Hilary Clinton - What Happened. 7/10

The good:
Although the story jumps around a bit, some genuinely moving moments.
First hand account of the prejudicial forces at work in the 2016 campaign.
Really detailed account of the Russian influence in the 2016 election.

The bad:
Some things are blatantly glossed over, she makes out her relationship with her husband was mostly sweetness and light, punctuated by the odd affair, which I can't really believe.
Neither does she really touch on any of the scandals she and Bill were caught up in during the 90's and beyond. Not sure what I was expecting from an autobiography really.
A little bit saccharine in places.

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #868 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
I haven't read it, but that's about note for note what I would expect.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #869 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss - 7/10

Magicky fantasy. I read a lot of Gaiman and Pratchett, and with their wit and prose, I grow worried that they've ruined me on most other writers... I really disliked Name of the Wind for the first half-dozen chapters or so, solely based on writing style (it's certainly not bad, it's just... you know... not as good as Pratchett or Gaiman. Dry, comparatively.). But then I got used to it, and the story took shape, and I started to enjoy it. The narrative takes place from a neat perspective: (I hate spoilers and wouldn't consider this a spoiler since it's established very early in the book, but spoilered for anybody that wants to know *nothing* before starting a book)
(click to show/hide)
Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a less-common framework which I think Rothfuss wrote very well.

I just started book 2, aka, The Name of the Wind Act II. Definitely helps to know that you're reading just the first big chunk of a longer story.

Recommend for those who like fantasy, but probably only for that subset.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.