Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 72685 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #855 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Birdbox
6/10

I love the premise of the story, and I had high hopes for the novel because I loved the script written by Eric Heisserer (I guess Netflix now is making this with Sandra Bollock), but it honestly felt like it was written for the YA set.
It has its moments, and it is a quick read, but the language was just too basic to really involve me in the story.
I think it will make an excellent movie though, so definitely check that out if you skip the novel.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #856 on: August 28, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
I'm about a third of the way through birdbox and have been for a month. Like you say it's got its moments, and the premise is engaging, but the writing isn't. Glad to hear they've optioned for a movie. I'll give up on trying to get myself to finish.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #857 on: August 28, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
Reread of "Fooled By Randomness".  What a great book.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #858 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
The End of the Day by Claire North
9.5/10

Charlie is the Harbinger of Death. You can't be picky, having graduated into a recession. He is sent ahead of his employer, sometimes as a courtesy, sometimes as a warning.

In just over a hundred short, beautifully written chapters, Charlie travels the world to visit those who might soon die and the moments when ideas pass out of the world, all while trying to work out why his job is worth doing. It's not an easy story, but it manages to imbue the bleakness it describes - like Syria, global warming, diet pills, foreclosure - with a spark of hope.

Best novel I've read in months. It's going to stay with me for a bit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:34:57 AM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

personate-rain
personate-rain