Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 80637 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #930 on: January 29, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Crash Overdrive by Zoe Quinn - 9/10

How this woman has an ounce of compassion for humanity left is beyond me.

Writing style was a little rocky at first, but I warmed up to it eventually.  Very convincing arguments that we need more socially-savvy people in the tech industry and tech-savvy people in the government and legal system.  Plus plenty of gory details about the worst of Gamergate, if you want to feel sick to your stomach.   :P

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #931 on: January 29, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons
2d6/10

I started playing probably a few years after Gary was ousted from TSR and I remember hearing there was some drama about him leaving the company, but I of course didn't realize how shady it actually was! I also found it startling Gary was a JW. As devoid of Christianity as the game system was and packed full of pagan and demonic creatures, I would have thought that stuff was taboo. Maybe in the end it was mostly cultural for him, but for a religion that considers xmas and halloween dangerous.
At the end of the day it did seem Gary got some bad rolls of the dice, but it also felt like he was kind of an angry nerd who didn't really want too much responsibility in life, and giving away your power away like that really does invite in the wrong sort of people. It also shows how once in a lifetime creating something like D&D is and he never recaptured that.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #932 on: January 29, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
Artemis, by Andy Weir. Pretty good, distinctive style.

I hear this is his second book?

Is that sarcasm?  The Martian was his debut, and it was one of my favorite books of the decade.
Yes, it was sarcasm.  :D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #933 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
Wyrd Sisters has now taken the crown as my favorite Discworld book so far.   :)

Offline JackAWatt

• Brand New
« Reply #934 on: February 07, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »
Islam and the Future of Tolerance 9/10

I enjoy Harris' writing style, it is easy to understand while being substantive. A worthwhile book as an introduction to Islam.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #935 on: February 07, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

History of the Columbian Exposition of 1893 (Chicago World's Fair) and the parallel story of an early serial killer, Dr. H.H. Holmes.

I enjoyed it, and I recommend it.  It was much more a history of the time in Chicago and the World's Fair, than it was about the murders.  If you are looking a true-crime serial killer book, this is not it.

ETA: 7/10 points
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #936 on: February 11, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »
Touch by Claire North (the adult fiction pseudonym of YA-author Catherine Webb) - 9/10

Had high hopes for this one after thoroughly enjoying The End of the Day.

Kepler is a 'ghost', once a human, but now an entity that can switch from person to person by touch, taking over their bodies. It tries to take good care of its hosts, who retain no memory of being possessed for weeks, months or even years, leaving them better off than it found them. When one of its hosts is brutally and unnecessarily slain by a nebulous organisation that hunts ghosts, Kepler sets out to find out why - and to avenge her death.

Very original premise, well-handled, solid plot and beautiful, sharp and evocative writing. Tore through it in two sittings.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #937 on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:52 AM »
Artemis (Andy Weir) - 7/10

Pefectly fine book with some interesting exploration of what a first moon base might be like, but nothing about it really blew me away.  Certainly nothing like The Martian. Definitely would recommend it to any fan of The Martian, but it's not anything you need to put at the top of your list or anything

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #938 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
The Mis-education of the Negro-Carter Woodson
I read this after asking a coworker for recommendations for books on African American history and experience.  It's an interesting take on the state of education in the African American community and sadly still accurate despite being written in 1933.  It's more of a long transcribed speech than a book though.  the parts I found most interesting were discussions on the importance of teaching African American students about their own history and achievements.  He makes a very strong case for their necessity.  I also found the discussion of the role of religion interesting.  He take's a strong stand against hypocritical preachers but stresses the importance of the church as a community center and place to learn leadership.

The Lord of the Flies  -10/10
I never read this before because pop culture had spoiled the plot, but I found it fairly gripping.  The descent in savagery was much more believable than I figured it would be, and I liked how my feelings about certain characters changed as they grew with the plot.  The message is as important as ever.  I would like to see a version of this story with a more heterogeneous group but I can't fault Golding for setting things up as he did. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #939 on: February 19, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Persepolis Rising - James SA Corey - 7th book of The Expanse series

7.5/10

I really enjoyed this book. Probably the book I enjoyed the most throughout the book (I find that they usually lag quite a bit in the middle section) than any other in the series besides the novellas (those benefit from being short enough that they are action-packed throughout).

It starts a whole new phase of the series a few decades after the events in the previous books with the same main characters (the ones that are still alive anyway).

I would have given the book an 8 or even 8.5 but it didn't conclude as solidly as I would have liked. Like I said it's the first book in what is clearly a new phase that will probably be the last of the series, but I still felt like the end was a bit of a disappointment. Fine, but not great.

personate-rain