Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 93827 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #960 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Harry. This sounds fascinating. I'm putting it on my reading list!

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #961 on: April 12, 2018, 11:34:57 PM »
Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving - 8/10

Hmm, starting to see how some people may not exactly be thrilled with John Irving.  I guess in the 80s a male author could get away with throwing together a hodgepodge of thoughts on incest and rape and somehow turn it into a "pro family" novel?  Also bears, we better throw in some bears.  And wrestling weightlifting.  And let's have some scenes where characters are gushing over some classic American or English literature, and then keep referencing it later.

For all his faults I always seem to enjoy his style though.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #962 on: April 13, 2018, 06:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Harry. This sounds fascinating. I'm putting it on my reading list!
Me too. That has gone straight in my Amazon basket.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #963 on: April 13, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving - 8/10

Hmm, starting to see how some people may not exactly be thrilled with John Irving.  I guess in the 80s a male author could get away with throwing together a hodgepodge of thoughts on incest and rape and somehow turn it into a "pro family" novel?  Also bears, we better throw in some bears.  And wrestling weightlifting.  And let's have some scenes where characters are gushing over some classic American or English literature, and then keep referencing it later.

For all his faults I always seem to enjoy his style though.

Yeah, I was a huge fan of John Irving.  For some reason, I stopped reading him after "The Cider House Rules."  Maybe I'll circle back. 
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #964 on: April 15, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
Read Ender's Game for the 3rd time. I think this is probably one of my favorite books. 10/10
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #965 on: April 15, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
Read Ender's Game for the 3rd time. I think this is probably one of my favorite books. 10/10

How do you feel about the rest of the series and the spinoffs?

Personally I liked all of the ones I read (all of the Ender books and most of the Bean books) but I was in high school so I don't know whether to trust my opinions. I heard it's very mormon in parts and I knew nothing about mormons when I first read the books.

I remember reading another series of his.. return to earth or something.. and that's apparently a sci-fi version of The Book of Mormon. I liked it as a kid, and I can say that as an adult I hated The Book of Mormon when I read it. I guess it's fair to say Card is a better writer than Smith. Then again I think I'm a better writer than Smith.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #966 on: April 17, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »

How do you feel about the rest of the series and the spinoffs?

Personally I liked all of the ones I read (all of the Ender books and most of the Bean books) but I was in high school so I don't know whether to trust my opinions. I heard it's very mormon in parts and I knew nothing about mormons when I first read the books.

I remember reading another series of his.. return to earth or something.. and that's apparently a sci-fi version of The Book of Mormon. I liked it as a kid, and I can say that as an adult I hated The Book of Mormon when I read it. I guess it's fair to say Card is a better writer than Smith. Then again I think I'm a better writer than Smith.
Honestly I didn't really feel it as Mormon-ish. I read it entirely about 4 years ago if my memory serves. And since my wife is Mormon, I'd notice the overt stuff. So, if there is Mormon influence it's mostly the regular stuff as in Family is best. Sacrifices, Alcohol is Bad. I haven't read much of Card's other work but I have read there is a lot of political and religious commentary entwined in most of his works, but not with the Ender Saga.

As for my overall opinion. My next reading project (after I finish the Iron Druid Chronicles) is to complete the Ender Saga a second time.

I think I can split the entire saga in three: Ender's Game, Speaker parts and the Shadow Parts, and they are all different reading experiences. I liked them all of them. I was a bit disappointed with the Shadow's Flight part. But I really like everything that happened before that. The speaker books, are very interesting, and surprised me how much I liked it, considering the lack of action as the original book.

I don't think that the Speaker is something most readers that Liked Ender's Game or that would like the Shadow series would enjoy. But I did enjoy them.

I just had a thought, that the Speaker books, feel like the last act of Heinlein books, which is apt as Card has said he was inspired by Heinlein.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2018, 04:51:16 AM »
The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, book 1)
Fiction, Fantasy
8/10

I've been hearing good things about this fantasy series for years and finally decided to give it a try. It recycles ideas from other fantasy novels / stories but I didn't mind - Jordan manages to use them in novel ways while introducing enough new inventions to keep it fresh. The world and mythology he built feels unique, even though he often bluntly draws inspiration from the real world (like aes sedai from the Irish aes sídhe, the Traveling People analogous to Roma, etc). It's all fantasy but has moments of horror that's even borderline Lovecraftian at times.

I think it started slow and mundane. It didn't truly get interesting until about a quarter in, but from that point forward it just kept getting better and better until it ended with a bang.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #968 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
Some of the middle books are a slog, books 4-5 IIRC, but overall, the series is amazing.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
Some of the middle books are a slog, books 4-5 IIRC, but overall, the series is amazing.

I gave up at either book 4 or 5. I didn't like them enough to make it through.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »

I just skipped them, read wiki summaries, and picked up on the last two books.  The ending is pretty awesome, and Sanderson did extremely well on the final book.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #971 on: April 23, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »

I just skipped them, read wiki summaries, and picked up on the last two books.  The ending is pretty awesome, and Sanderson did extremely well on the final book.

Yeah, Sanderson's writing style was way less tedious.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #972 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
All Systems Red by Martha Wells - 4.5/5

It's a short and easy read (160 pages) and only a few dollars for the ebook on amazon. It's the first book in a series called The Murderbot Diaries which is about a cynical and socially awkward security Robot that hacks its own "governor module" and becomes conscious and independent while still having to fake that it takes orders. The book follows its point of view while it is leased to a research team to keep them safe while they survey a planet.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #973 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »
Just got through book 1 (Basin and Range) of Annals of the Former World.  Over the years geology has slowly descended the ranks of my favorite disciplines of science, but this book is helping kick it back up a few levels.  John McPhee is a fantastic writer.  I debated checking this out of the library or checking out a book about plate tectonics by Naomi Oreskes and I think I made the right call.  Regardless, everyone should learn how geologists eventually accepted the theory of plate tectonics.  In many ways I think it outshines scientific discoveries like general relativity (which is so mathematically elegant that one could accept it even with spare evidence) or evolution (a theory that is almost self-evident as soon as you understand it) as an idea that reveals every aspect of how science works.  McPhee writes about geologists' obsession with "The Big Picture":  the ability to hold the concept of deep time, the relative motions of dozens of land masses, the temperature and chemical gradients within the crust, etc. all in your head at the same time.  Of course this task is essentially impossible, but it reveals how conceptually challenging modern geology has become.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #974 on: April 24, 2018, 02:19:33 AM »
All Systems Red by Martha Wells - 4.5/5

It's a short and easy read (160 pages) and only a few dollars for the ebook on amazon. It's the first book in a series called The Murderbot Diaries which is about a cynical and socially awkward security Robot that hacks its own "governor module" and becomes conscious and independent while still having to fake that it takes orders. The book follows its point of view while it is leased to a research team to keep them safe while they survey a planet.

I quite enjoyed that as well.

A bit of a heads up. tor.com gave this ebook away for free 2 weeks ago. Just for being signed up to their newsletter email and they also give away 6 full sized books a year if you sign up for their ebook club. They don't try and sell you anything. The newsletter only comes a few times a week and is an interesting read about sci-fi and fantasy news/books/TV Shows etc.

It is supposed to be only available to US and Canadian citizens, but it doesn't ask for proof. I just ticked the US box. I've got some really good free ebooks out of it. Over a dozen last year. Free is always good.

Here is the website to sign up: https://ebookclub.tor.com/

personate-rain