Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 97913 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #1005 on: October 26, 2018, 03:07:53 AM »
The last book I read was ‘the Lost Man’ by Jane Harper.  It’s almost the classic Australian novel.  Two brothers meet at an isolated grave of a stockman who died in 189-, with his headstone engraved with ‘he went astray’ over the body of their brother who went missing the previous day and who apparently died of exposure in the Queensland hot summer.  His car was located 9 km away - fully stocked with everything one needs for a week; food, water, and of course beer.

It’s very good.  I wasn’t expecting the ending.

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1006 on: November 03, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
Thomas from Opening Arguments recommended White Fragility last week.  So I read it.  May have been an issue with continuously reading it while sleepy, but it was a bit of a chore to get through and felt very repetitive at times.  Despite not caring for the writing that much, the central concept of the book is eye-opening.  Basically white people have been leveraging their own weaknesses and ignorance about race into a strength, shutting down any real conversation about their obvious prejudices.  A major theme is how despite the overall progress made during the Civil Rights era, one of the downsides is the creation of a dichotomoy of "racist=bad, nonracist=good".  This has made it impossible to explain to anyone who thinks of themselves as a decent person that they can still be a racist prick.

#Mayocide can't come soon enough  >:D

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #1007 on: November 17, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
Bad Blood by John Carreyrou - 10/10
A must read.   See the other thread by fuzzyMarmot for more info.

Halfway through One Person, No Vote by Carol Anderson and I'm honestly not sure if I can finish it.  Not because of bad writing, but because it is stomach-churning and horribly depressing.  Perhaps it is the previous lead-in books I read, perhaps it is the gloominess of an early winter, perhaps it is living in a small Midwestern town that is oblivious to anything happening in the rest of the country.  I've never felt so ashamed of white people.  We are basically trying to implement a modern statistical version of the 3/5 compromise across the country, with the full blessing of the Supreme Court, every single right-wing news source, and the President.  I wish there was a hell for John Roberts to burn in for Shelby County v. Holder.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
I listened to Ezra Klein interview Carol Anderson on his podcast, and I came away with the same feeling of despair. I'm not sure I could face reading the whole book.

personate-rain
personate-rain