Author Topic: My audiobook playlist  (Read 9416 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Re: My audiobook playlist
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
I've just started listening to Kafka on the Shore. It's got several readers, and all of them are good. The story started out normally enough, but then it got weird and really caught my attention. I really want to know how the elements of the story fit together. I feel smarter just listening to it.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
Redshirts was really fun. Wil got to show some performance chops, and the story is really good.

Up next is Eon by Greg Bear. I read this some time ago and remember liking it, but not how it goes.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
I've just started listening to Kafka on the Shore. It's got several readers, and all of them are good. The story started out normally enough, but then it got weird and really caught my attention. I really want to know how the elements of the story fit together. I feel smarter just listening to it.

When you are done - try ''Dance,Dance Dance'', also by Haruki....magnificantly read, and a real treat.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »

When you are done - try ''Dance,Dance Dance'', also by Haruki....magnificantly read, and a real treat.
Thanks. My reading is going to be on hold for a bit (even my audio reading) because I just got Diablo III. It's always good to have a few more books on the "to read" list, though. :)

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
Finished Eon, liked it a lot.

New credit day today, picked up a couple new books.

Year Zero, Rob Reid

The Long Earth, Stephen BAxter & Terry Pratchett

Heard good things about both, looking forward to some bus rides :)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:24 AM »
Finished Eon, liked it a lot.

New credit day today, picked up a couple new books.

Year Zero, Rob Reid

The Long Earth, Stephen BAxter & Terry Pratchett

Heard good things about both, looking forward to some bus rides :)
I just added The Long Earth to my Wish List. :D

Are you the Wheaton fanboy/stalker, or is that someone else? I'm only asking because I also added "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, read by Wil Wheaton. It looks to be a nerd-tastic read.

Offline Holden Attradies

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Ak Flair
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »
Year Zero was AMAZINGLY good.  It took me a bit to get used to the reader but I adored his voice by the end.

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
Are you the Wheaton fanboy/stalker, or is that someone else? I'm only asking because I also added "Redshirts" by John Scalzi, read by Wil Wheaton. It looks to be a nerd-tastic read.

I'm not a stalker.  He's my totes legit internet boyfriend.

You'll love Redshirts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:13:54 AM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
Year Zero was AMAZINGLY good.  It took me a bit to get used to the reader but I adored his voice by the end.

I know, right?

There have been some really good books to come out in the last year or so.  I used to have an easy time listing off my favourites, but now I have to actually think about it.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
Actually, I think I have Year Zero on my wishlist, too. Coincidence? Perhaps.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
Don't remember if I've mentioned these but historian Barbara Tuchman wrote 3 really, really good books about various periods in world history that are narrated by Nadia May and which are also really good if a bit on the dry side. Having now listened to all 3, here's the order you should probably go if you're so obliged:

The Guns of August - a seminal work about the cognitive dissonances that led to the onset of World War I as well as the continued dissonances that led to it getting bogged down into 4 years of trench warfare. It ends in the winter of 1914, just when the action more or less ground to a crawl. Basically you had Germany hatching a really dumb, ill-thought-out plan that her own experts said wasn't going to work (granted, a bunch more refused to listen to those naysayers), the French hatching a really dumb, ill-thought-out plan to settle the score with Germany that basically amounted to "we are gutsy", the Russians just being a complete and utter mess, and the Austrians being the decaying empire which ended up setting off the whole thing.

The Proud Tower - About the so-called "belle epoque" period of 1890-1914. People in the interwar period especially liked to call those times the greatest in European history. However, as Tuchman describes it, World War I was practically waiting to happen; if it hadn't, there might have been mass revolution instead. In a 5-6 year period, for instance (1895 - 1901 I think) there were something like 6 heads of state murdered by anarchists (including our own President McKinley).

A Distant Mirror - About the latter half of the 14th century in Europe, after the plague. I enjoyed it, but then, I am kind of a sucker for medieval history that's not all about the goofy intellectual debates that were going on at the time.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »
I got two books for one credit today. 8) Now I only have 5 books in my audiobook list. I'll start listening to Hitch-22 tomorrow. Then maybe the Pinker book I got today--I forget the title, something about people not being as evil as all that. His most recent, I think.

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »
Dammit, my books this month were too good.  I finished Year Zero in 6 days, and The Long Earth in 9 days, leaving me with 16 days until the next credits.  I used up a few days with podcasts, and I'm going with HG Wells' Outline of History as my traditional gap-filler, but it's still 7 days until new books.

Aargh!  Why do things have to be so awesome?

I was standing there, doing dishes and listening to my book, knowing that I should turn on music like normal to conserve book time, but I couldn't stop.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »

Long Earth was very enjoyable.  I think that it was largely Baxter's work, with bits and pieces of pure Pratchett scattered here and there (I smelled Pratchett's stank on the bits with the nuns, and a line about how the chief distinction between a person and a really good AI was "the noise they make when you punch them".)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

Long Earth was very enjoyable.  I think that it was largely Baxter's work, with bits and pieces of pure Pratchett scattered here and there (I smelled Pratchett's stank on the bits with the nuns, and a line about how the chief distinction between a person and a really good AI was "the noise they make when you punch them".)
:D That most definitely sounds Pratchian. Pratchettine? Pratchettish?