Author Topic: Moderation Tweaks - October 21, 2011  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Moderation Tweaks - October 21, 2011
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
In honor of the end of the world today, I'm announcing a few tweaks to how things are going to be handled here.
These changes will become effective November 1, 2011.

1) The Global Warming child forum will change from being lightly moderated to being fully moderated.  It will remain members-only, but the tone there will be expected to match the tone of every other fully moderated board such as General or Skep/Sci.  What this means is that the level of bickering and spillover in GW now will simply not be acceptable after November 1.

1a) Politics and Explicit will remain lightly moderated.  There are no current plans to change these boards.

2) The way we are going to handle warnings is going to change.  Right now, a member has to get three warnings in fairly rapid succession before the forum software automatically puts them in Muted (suspended) or Moderated (all posts have to be reviewed by a mod before they show up) mode.  We are going to augment this significantly so that anyone who gets three warnings over a longer period will get suspended for a week.  The fourth warning will result in being placed in the "Needs Approval To Post" membergroup, which means that every post will have to be approved by a mod and that you won't have access to Global Warming, Politics, Personal, or Explicit, until we feel like removing you from that restriction.  The fifth warning will result in a ban.

The warning count will start retroactively as of September 1, 2011.  It will count up to a maximum of two warnings from September 1 to today, and count up to a maximum of two more warnings from today until October 31.  (In other words, you won't get retroactively suspended or banned.)  If you are trying to figure out how many more warnings you can get before something bad happens, stop; work instead on not getting any more warnings at all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:44:30 AM by Beleth »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: Moderation Tweaks - October 21, 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
What constitutes a warning?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
Getting a PM from a faceless account telling you that you have received a warning.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
I promise to do my best to make the new system work. :angel:
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
Not to imply that I'm not entirely fine with these changes, but why?

Give Beleth a place to stand and he'd move the world.  But usually he'd need a damned good reason to go get his lever out of the trunk.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
This was an agreement between all the mods.  It took us several weeks to piece this together.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
Not to imply that I'm not entirely fine with these changes, but why?

Give Beleth a place to stand and he'd move the world.  But usually he'd need a damned good reason to go get his lever out of the trunk.

A fair enough question, and flattery on the side - how could I not answer this?   ;)

We've been getting a lot of constructive member criticisms about the nature of GW, so I looked into it.  The criticisms were valid.  In the almost two years GW has existed, it has drifted off course and turned even more ghetto-ey than I envisioned.  What's worse, it has started to drag the rest of the board down with it.  And it's a systemic problem, not tied down to any one member.  So I discussed what to do with the other mods, and we decided that these steps would be appropriate course corrections.

And as always, they're not set in stone.  If they are counterproductive or become unwieldy, we'll rescind them and try something else.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
Thanks Beleth, this sounds great!

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
I don't go to the GW threads anyway.
It's just a bunch of childish bickering that I want no part of.

Easy solution - just stay out.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline GoodDerf

• Frequent Poster
  • Accidental King Math
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

That is how I think a lot of members feel about it. It would be nice to see some stats before the policy and after the policy on how many different people post in the GW ghetto. Right now it feels like it is maybe the same 5 or 6 people constantly going at each other.

I like the change idea, I don't want to have to avoid any part of this board simply because of tone.

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »

Except if you want to discuss global warming.

And of course Beleth indicated there was spillover into other forums, so staying away wouldn't work perfectly anyway.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »

And of course Beleth indicated there was spillover into other forums, so staying away wouldn't work perfectly anyway.

Since FX and Will Nitschke seem to have left (1.5 weeks or so ago), the bickering has died down to zero.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »

Since FX and Will Nitschke seem to have left (1.5 weeks or so ago), the bickering has died down to zero.

What? Where did they go, or why did they leave?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

Strange.  They both have logged in in the last 24 hours, but neither has posted since the 13th.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

Strange.  They both have logged in in the last 24 hours, but neither has posted since the 13th.

I asked a question in a new thread in gw ghetto the other day fully expected they would be the first to answer and they never entered the thread. I thought it was strange.