Author Topic: Freakonmics podcast  (Read 1660 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Freakonmics podcast
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »
Wow, I could have sworn this had it's on thread but couldn't find it. I know a lot of people here already listen to the podcast but the most recent one has Michael Shermer in it talking about skepticism.  Good as always, I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:21:25 PM by moj »

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Freakonmics podcast
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:21:39 AM »
I just listened to it today myself and was going to come in to remember it. I think there's a lot of cross-compatibility with skepticism and economics, as good economicists are constantly looking at the way things are currently done and questioning whether or not it's the most efficient, if the most efficient method is really what we want, and most of all where there are less scarce but still profitable avenues open to an industry (the last one might not seem obviously skeptical in nature but it's so anti-pattern recognition that I think it qualifies as well as anything else).

Anyway, I also recommend Planet Money, which produces shows a bit more often as well, and while it may not be "whoa dude you totally BLEW my MIIIIND" every episode, it is also, I think, a bit more grounded in traditional econ.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain