Author Topic: BBC's Brian Cox: A Night With the Stars  (Read 846 times)

Offline Xptical

• Keeps Priorities Straight
BBC's Brian Cox: A Night With the Stars
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »
I've always enjoyed Brian's shows and lectures.  But this is such a big load of crap.

First, the things he does explain he doesn't do very well.  Why are orbitals like a spring vibrating?  What's happening when hydrogen burns?  Etc.

But, at the end, I almost started gagging.  He was trying to imply that Pauli's exclusion principle demands that every electron in the universe is connected to every other electron in the universe.  i.e. When you heat a cup of tea, every electron in the universe adjusts it quantum state slightly to ensure that no two will be identical.

A great big "boo" on you, Brian Cox.

Offline Jay_One

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: BBC's Brian Cox: A Night With the Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »
I'm not educated enough to critique Cox's physics, but I would bear in mind that the celebrities he is addressing are not also physicists. The more you try and dumb down an idea to explain to a layperson, the less scientifically accurate it will probably be.
A man reading a thesaurus saunters into a tavern.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

Offline countrygirl

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
I am usually a fan of Brian Cox but I saw A Night With The Stars and i felt like he was trying to dumb things down for ignorant people. It was a total waste of my time to watch ..

Offline Scoot Meevo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
I'm not a physicist and found it entertaining without being particularly educational, for half the program at least and even on the stuff I wasn't familiar with he seemed to just skim over them. Understandable given that some of his audience still appeared to be lost.