Author Topic: Is Skeptiko dead?  (Read 79409 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Freeman74

  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • ***
  • Posts: 263
    • http://www.myspace.com\freeman74
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 09:41:13 AM »
Quote from: "skidoo"
Tsakiris is a fuckwad.

[Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself, but I'm in one of those "idiots just PISS ME OFF" phases. Help me!  If I had an X chromosome, I'd say I need some Midol or something. :)]


Well, you have at least one.
quot;Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." - Homer Simpson

Offline HarmLess168

  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • ***
  • Posts: 478
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »
Quote from: "Nigel"
Off topic a bit:

I believe Mindme brought this up on another thread that the dedication of the SGU crew is simply astounding.  I don't know of any other podcast that is as faithful and consistent as SGU. (No.  I'm not looking for a free t-shirt, or tour of the Novella secret compound and world HQ if there is one.) All my other podcast are at best abut 80 or 85 percent on schedule.  The only other one that might give SGU a run for its money is Point of Inquiry.  I know of no other 'independent' production that is as faithful.  

Truly, the dedication of Dr. Novella and crew is something I know I take for granted.    I think this a big reason the podcast keeps going from strength to strength.  


Totally agree with you. I am pleasantly surprised that the SGU team has yet to miss a podcast. I agree that all the other podcast I listen to usually suffers delays (again with the exception of Point of Inquiry).

Kudos to the SGU team for their hard work and dedication.

Offline mickal777

  • Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 4164
    • Trip to Japan
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »
The show was dead before even the "Do dogs know" episode.

Clearly evidence that the dead communicate.

Offline skidoo

  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 5880
    • Trip23
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »
Don't forget SETI Radio. They're pretty good at releasing regular episodes too.

Offline Nightspore

  • Not Enough Spare Time
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
Quote from: "wastrel"
masochist


Yep. I started off listening to Skeptiko because I thought I might learn something about how these people think, and maybe come up with some better ideas of ways to maybe get them to see the light. Experience confirms what we already more than suspected: there's no way to make a believer actually think if it means challenging a long-held belief.

So you're right; what started off with some hope has devolved to a bad habit that's hard to break. I'll continue to listen until Skeptiko finally stops circling the plughole and goes down, and I'll post here if there's anything that might be of interest.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline Schottky90

  • Off to a Start
  • *
  • Posts: 88
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
Quote from: "Grayven"
I lost interest in Skeptico after the shameful backstabbing Dr Lester interview. Alex's tactic of interrupting with his little sermons struck me as somewhat unethical.


You have yet another fellow malcontent concerning this point.  While I think Alex's only good interview was with Steve... and that was completely due to Steve's ability to break him down while still being the nice guy we all love.

Can I make Steve my personal lord and saviour?  :wink:
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." -Carl Sagan

Offline wastrel

  • Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • *****
  • Posts: 12237
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »
Quote from: "Schottky90"
Can I make Steve my personal lord and saviour?  :wink:


Just remember him in '08


Offline Steven Novella

  • SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
  • *****
  • Posts: 1721
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 03:43:35 PM »
Nigel wrote:
Quote
I believe Mindme brought this up on another thread that the dedication of the SGU crew is simply astounding. I don't know of any other podcast that is as faithful and consistent as SGU. (No. I'm not looking for a free t-shirt, or tour of the Novella secret compound and world HQ if there is one.) All my other podcast are at best abut 80 or 85 percent on schedule. The only other one that might give SGU a run for its money is Point of Inquiry. I know of no other 'independent' production that is as faithful.



OK - who told you about the secret compound and world HQ (OK, actually it's only the HQ for North America)?

Damn, Jay, they're onto use. Execute abort sequence delta.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Mark7300

  • The Happy Bunny
  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3930
  • Other people are the problem.
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
Yeah, now they'll have to find another vulcano. Better make sure it is an extinct one this time... Just follow the boiler suits.
I'm a Pareidoliaologist.

Offline Nightspore

  • Not Enough Spare Time
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
OK - who told you about the secret compound and world HQ (OK, actually it's only the HQ for North America)?

Damn, Jay, they're onto use. Execute abort sequence delta.


Actually, I've seen the Compound myself. Remote Viewing is a wonderful thing. :twisted:
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline Mike

  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 2367
    • SGUFans.net
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
Nigel wrote:
Quote
I believe Mindme brought this up on another thread that the dedication of the SGU crew is simply astounding. I don't know of any other podcast that is as faithful and consistent as SGU. (No. I'm not looking for a free t-shirt, or tour of the Novella secret compound and world HQ if there is one.) All my other podcast are at best abut 80 or 85 percent on schedule. The only other one that might give SGU a run for its money is Point of Inquiry. I know of no other 'independent' production that is as faithful.



OK - who told you about the secret compound and world HQ (OK, actually it's only the HQ for North America)?

Damn, Jay, they're onto use. Execute abort sequence delta.


There's a delta one now?!  Christ I knew I should have made it to the last meeting.  Wait... this isn't the one where we just all start referring to you as Captain Scurvy is it?  Because I thought we all agreed that that would just be ineffective.... and kind of weird. ;)
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Opcn

  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 2946
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »
So a question for those of you who listen, do they ever mention the fact that they have an average rating of one star on iTunes?

Offline Nightspore

  • Not Enough Spare Time
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 01:33:36 AM »
Quote from: "Opcn"
So a question for those of you who listen, do they ever mention the fact that they have an average rating of one star on iTunes?


No.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline CleveDan

  • Seasoned Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 782
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 11:52:47 AM »
I contributed to that one star :D

he actually has started off a few podcasts by commenting on the positive feedback that he is getting.....probably all from rupert sheldrake
"The argument is absurd almost beyond description – but not quite, so I will describe the absurdity" --Dr. Steve Novella
"I was a little confused as to why it was relevant for Miller to give us all a lesson in evolutionary biology" --Casey Luskin.....An AssHat of some note

Offline CleveDan

  • Seasoned Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 782
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
The second paragraph of Dean Cameron's review is great
"The argument is absurd almost beyond description – but not quite, so I will describe the absurdity" --Dr. Steve Novella
"I was a little confused as to why it was relevant for Miller to give us all a lesson in evolutionary biology" --Casey Luskin.....An AssHat of some note

 

personate-rain
personate-rain