Author Topic: Books for 2012 - Discussion Thread  (Read 20128 times)

Offline Stella456

• Brand New
Re: Books for 2012 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
decided to re-read "The Missionary Position" as a personal tribute and just started "Arguably" also by Hitchens. Listened to Sam Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation" and "The Atheist Guide to Christmas" on audiobook. Really enjoyed both of them - they made a 12 hour drive quite pleasant.
The worst thing about being an atheist is that you never get to say "I told you so".

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
I need to read The Missionary Position.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »
I was a voracious reader through HS, but I sorta stopped reading since I've entered the real world.

I know have roughyl 3 hours a day on public transit, and so I bought a Kindle to pass the time.

I forgot how much I loved reading.  So I'm giving the 50 books thing a go this year.

Last week I read the Hunger Games Trilogy.  Decent reads, even if I wasn't the target demo.  A good story and characters you could root for.

Currently rereading the HP series.  Almost done with book 1.

I figure I'll tackle some of the longer series I love or want to read, like Song of Fire and Ice series, the Wheel of Time, etc.

I'll dribble in some other one offs, probably stick to some of the new PRatchett books I've fallen behind on, or maybe a novel here or there.

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
Just finished 'Why we get sick: the new science of darwinian medicine'.

Good read, perhaps because I have a weak spot for well-founded speculation aka hard philosophy. The authors are making a pretty good argument for considering medicine in the light of evolution which apparently is not done much today. I found it of special interest when they suggested that psychiatry might benefit from such an approach. Looking at feelings from an evolutionary angle is bound to have a few surprises - if it where to happen.
Quaere verum

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
I just finished listening to GRRM's A Game of Thrones. Pretty good read (Listen). I love the changing POV style. The messed up houses are fun to root for and follow. Can't wait to finish the series.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline wastrel

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
I was able to blow through the Hunger Games trilogy and the HP series this month, but most of the books were pretty short.

I've decided to give WoT another go.  I am re-reading the last book I read/listened to, and will try to complete out the series over the next eight or so weeks.  I know they get bogged down around book five, but I'm hoping I'll be able to complete them by mid to late June.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:59 AM »
I've been considering giving WoT another go. The problem is that I had them on one of the computers which died and so I'd have to actually buy them this time. :P I'm considering it, though.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:18 AM »
I've just started reading Black Swan by Nassim Taleb. I'm a little bothered by his ego, and his overgeneralization, but the idea that some things are fundamentally unpredictable is compelling (this isn't my first encounter with the idea-I've read several pop sci books on quantum mechanics and half of one on chaos theory). I'm willing to wade through Taleb's pompousity to glean more information about uncertainty.

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
I've been reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.  How long do you think it will take for me to get caught up with all the Discworld books?

Offline wastrel

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »
I've been reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.  How long do you think it will take for me to get caught up with all the Discworld books?

They are quick reads. You can get through them quickly

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »
Year of the Flood currently. I have a stack right here, quarter through. Will highlight recommends and mehs when I get around to it... So sleepy. Oh, and also have to work tomorrow... Hey, it's Towel Day!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:53:02 AM by WC »

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »

They are quick reads. You can get through them quickly
I wish they would make a Discworld TV series.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
I'm listening to Hitch-22 on tape right now. It's 15 glorious disks long.

I always liked Christopher Hitchens, but he lived a much more depressing life than I realized. That stuff about how his mother died was rough IMO.
Hitch-22 (audiobook) is tremendous.

God is not Great (audiobook) is also awesome. Chapter 11 is my favorite (specifically tracks 63, 64, 65, and 66 on the CDs. A brutally accurate history of Peep Stone Joe's woolgathering, and a touching nod to Fawn Brodie and her work).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:42:55 PM by WC »

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
I'm listening to Hitch-22 on tape right now. It's 15 glorious disks long.

I always liked Christopher Hitchens, but he lived a much more depressing life than I realized. That stuff about how his mother died was rough IMO.
Hitch-22 (audiobook) is tremendous.

God is not Great (audiobook) is also awesome. Chapter 11 is my favorite (specifically tracks 63, 64, 65, and 66 on the CDs. A brutally accurate history of Peep Stone Joe's woolgathering, and a touching nod to Fawn Brodie and her work).
I had a digital copy of Hitch-22, but didn't get through it. I'll have to check out the audiobook. New credits should be here.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
Holy crap, why does Atwood end books the way she does? Not cool man, not cool.

Grrrrr. freaking Canadian liberal with her mumble burble grrr

personate-rain