Author Topic: Books for 2012 - Discussion Thread  (Read 20116 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Books for 2012 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (about 65% through), and it is enjoyable I guess.....but I'm just not all impressed.  So far 6/10.  I hope the ending is awesome.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:45 PM »
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (about 65% through), and it is enjoyable I guess.....but I'm just not all impressed.  So far 6/10.  I hope the ending is awesome.
Your opinions are worthless to me. >:( >:( >:(

The ending is pretty awesome, imo. But I've only read the book, oh, five or six times.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
Your opinions are worthless to me. >:( >:( >:(

The ending is pretty awesome, imo. But I've only read the book, oh, five or six times.

So I'll rate it 8/10 after finishing.

It is a good story, and had a lot of clever bits (though I felt like the cleverness and wit was lacking when compared to Pratchett or Adams), but there was so many gaps in understanding the world I felt a bit unfulfilled.

I'm sure the intention was to make London Below seem mysterious and magical, but making stuff weird just so it's weird with no real explanation of mechanics just isn't my cuppa.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
Iirc, Gaiman pulled a lot from English lore. So if you knew more about English mythology, you'd have gotten more out of it. He did something similar in Stardust.

Honestly, I like that he didn't spell out everything. The reader was as clueless as the protagonist, and Gaiman did it without having to resort to first person perspective--I liked that.

Offline Gaffer

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
I wouldn't bother with The Power of Habit. I was hesitant to even read the thing and I was vindicated. It's another one of those "Yeah, but..." pop psy books with a simple theme, lots of anecdotes, and a handful of limited studies. I don't even understand how his discussing Rosa Parks was relevant to anything in the book. Even the author says it's a bit of a stretch to apply that section to his thesis. A lot of the notes seemed apologetic, repeatedly admonishing how things are far more complex blah blah blah. I felt the same way about Gladwell's terrible Blink.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:58:29 PM by Gaffer »

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 05:36:33 AM »
So, I listen to several short story podcasts--one of which is PodCastle. They feature Tim Pratt quite frequently, and I've always been ambivalent about the stories of his that they feature. He's not terrible, but they seem to go on about him a bit too much in my opinion. I feel the same way about Cory Doctorow, actually--not a bad writer, and he comes up with some really great ideas... but I don't think they're developed thoroughly enough. Their stories always seem shallow to me.

Anyway, I picked up Pratt's "The Nex" for free on my Kindle. I'm about 70% done with it, and I'm feeling fairly 'meh' about it. Again, the general idea of the story is great--and many of the sci-fi elements are really interesting. But the execution just doesn't do it for me. I think part of the problem is that the main protagonist is supposed to be a teenaged girl... but I can't really buy it. I don't know why, exactly. And I don't get the motivations behind what the other two main protagonists are doing. *spoiler* They're kind of fighting against this maybe bad guy, but it's not very clear why he's bad, and they don't really give any compelling reason why they're revolting; it is revealed later that the bad guy did do some bad guy stuff--but again, I don't really have any reason to care.

I think this book was written for a pre-teen/teen audience, but that's no excuse. Harry Potter is a kids' book and I find it more believable than "The Nex." I think it's a difference in style.

Offline stretcher

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
I'm starting The Lost Memory of Skin, which I picked up on a whim, after eating my green eggs and never mind. The synopsis sounded interesting (and possibly challenging) and I liked the writing style after reading several pages. I have nothing going on Sunday so I'm going to try and cover about half of it in the afternoon.

personate-rain
personate-rain