Author Topic: What's the Current Science on Male Circumcision?  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Apecult

• Brand New
What's the Current Science on Male Circumcision?
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
Just wondering what the current science says... seems to me many people still seem to believe that it's a healthy benefit to men (and their partners) to get circumcised.  I looked at http://www.circinfo.net/ 

But the site appears to be heavily biased towards getting circumcision without presenting sources for evidence.  So I am thinking this website might be bunk.  But it's the first result Google provides when typing in "scientific evidence for male circumcision.  The part of the pdf file I downloaded (intended for females to read up on to push their partners into getting circumcised) which seems rather strange is how it talked of more chances of getting infected with a wide host of diseases, such as chlamidia and HIV... but I wonder, how the heck can she get HIV from me if I am married to her and not seeing other women?  Same with all the other STDs.  Also, if I am to shower the regular one time or two times per day, how will there be any problem (bacteria or virus-wise)?

Is this really about health, or is it about religion? 

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: What's the Current Science on Male Circumcision?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
First, I'd check this thread out first as it covers a lot about the topic.  This tends to be one of those topics which launches heated debates and sometimes flame wars so don't be too surprised if not too many people chime in.  Also, I may be two posts too late but welcome to the boards!

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • -deleted-
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Well i can answer you this from the perspective of someone who got a circumcision in the age of 25:

Before i had it i couldnt have any sexual intercourse (i'd love to say fuck, saves letters and is more to the point) without having horrible pain.

Before i had it, i had some really nice smelling and tasty Penischeese. Unless you value cheese in that form, i'd say thats a plus.

Before: wet, pinky area. After: Dry desert, much more comfortable.

Looking back i'd do it again everytime again not just because of the pain, but also because of the hygiene part. If your partner has little wounds its not hard to imagine that an infection is far easier to get if i spread my cheese all over her cow pasture.

As for any empiric data i can tell you: i dont fucking know. Common sense says yes it is healthier, simply for the humidity thats always there under your wrinkled skin of pleasure.
-deleted-

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
That's one of the more disgusting yet informative posts I've ever read on the matter.  Thanks for sharing and thanks for making me swear off cheese.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
Thanks EL for linking our past discussions on this topic.  I'll be leaving this thread now.  :)
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
Thanks EL for linking our past discussions on this topic.  I'll be leaving this thread now.  :)

Wait!  There's still cheese to talk about!  Come back!

Offline snakeman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
Without taking a stand on any sort of debate/nascent flamewar that might grow out of this, here's a decent couple of references for the OP:

CDC Fact Sheet on health effects of circumcision
The other search results I got at CDC

Personally, that's where I'd start researching for information with minimal amounts of spin.

As to the disease transmission question, per the CDC:
Male Circumcision and Risk for HIV Transmission

Several types of research have documented that male circumcision significantly reduces the risk of HIV acquisition by men during penile-vaginal sex.

Biologic Plausibility

Compared with the dry external skin surface, the inner mucosa of the foreskin has less keratinization (deposition of fibrous protein), a higher density of target cells for HIV infection (Langerhans cells), and is more susceptible to HIV infection than other penile tissue in laboratory studies [2]. The foreskin may also have greater susceptibility to traumatic epithelial disruptions (tears) during intercourse, providing a portal of entry for pathogens, including HIV [3]. In addition, the microenvironment in the preputial sac between the unretracted foreskin and the glans penis may be conducive to viral survival [1]. Finally, the higher rates of sexually transmitted genital ulcerative disease, such as syphilis, observed in uncircumcised men may also increase susceptibility to HIV infection [4].

Granted, this does have the unstated assumption of unprotected sex with multiple partners of unknown disease status and not faithful monogamous sex with a single disease-free partner which should have no risk regardless of circumcision status.  Nor does it address transmission to the female partner unless it was beyond the short bit I had time to read.

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Haha, well i'm swiss, its a clichee! Cmon Cheese and Chocolate!
-deleted-

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
Haha, well i'm swiss, its a clichee! Cmon Cheese and Chocolate!

Oh god... Swiss cheese... You sir should win an award for inciting the nastiest mental images with the fewest most innocuous words.  Oh GOD!  Swiss chocolate:vomit:

Offline pulsetsar

• Off to a Start
  • physician by day, astronomer by night, skeptic ATC
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
Just wondering what the current science says... seems to me many people still seem to believe that it's a healthy benefit to men (and their partners) to get circumcised.  I looked at http://www.circinfo.net/ 

But the site appears to be heavily biased towards getting circumcision without presenting sources for evidence.  So I am thinking this website might be bunk.  But it's the first result Google provides when typing in "scientific evidence for male circumcision.  The part of the pdf file I downloaded (intended for females to read up on to push their partners into getting circumcised) which seems rather strange is how it talked of more chances of getting infected with a wide host of diseases, such as chlamidia and HIV... but I wonder, how the heck can she get HIV from me if I am married to her and not seeing other women?  Same with all the other STDs.  Also, if I am to shower the regular one time or two times per day, how will there be any problem (bacteria or virus-wise)?

Is this really about health, or is it about religion?

Health benefits of circumcision:
-Good body of evidence supporting a significant decrease in HIV transmission. It is one tool in the fight against HIV in Africa in particular.
-A much more mixed picture of possible decrease in infantile urinary tract infections, a rare condition to begin with.

There may be others but nothing so compelling as to make a universal recommendation except in areas where HIV is of epidemic proportions. Most physicians leave it the parents after providing the evidence. Here is the AAP policy statement on this. All board certified pediatricians are expected to follow these recommendations and it is part of our certification examinations.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;103/3/686
Carpe Noctem!

A. Krishna Rao, MD

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
OK to summarize the pages of other threads.

The research is close to a wash, but slightly anti circumcision.    I would say the majority of people on the board fall under something like

I don't think I would do it to my kid but there is not enough evidence of harm to justify outlawing the practice

Also there are individual circumstances that make the choice much more clear.
Is that a fair assesment?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
IDK.  I'm fairly anti cheese now.  That may have been the finger on the scale we were looking for.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »

The research is close to a wash, but slightly anti circumcision.    I would say the majority of people on the board fall under something like

I don't think I would do it to my kid but there is not enough evidence of harm to justify outlawing the practice

Okay I came back and a big yes this.  Argument from "but I knew someone"... get's thrown around a lot in this topic for whatever reason.  I'm personally glad I didn't have to make the decision for any children.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

Okay I came back and a big yes this.  Argument from "but I knew someone"... get's thrown around a lot in this topic for whatever reason.  I'm personally glad I didn't have to make the decision for any children.

It's not that big of a deal really, at least i didnt feel that way even as an adult (where operations sometimes tend to be more complicated). I haven't made up my mind about it with my own children but i dont see yet the absolute necessity to get it done right away. I think i'll let them decide when they can or some obvious medical reasons arise. Personally for myself i'd do it again but the circumstances have been special i guess.
-deleted-

Offline snakeman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

It's not that big of a deal really, at least i didnt feel that way even as an adult (where operations sometimes tend to be more complicated). I haven't made up my mind about it with my own children but i dont see yet the absolute necessity to get it done right away. I think i'll let them decide when they can or some obvious medical reasons arise. Personally for myself i'd do it again but the circumstances have been special i guess.

Yeah, it doesn't seem that big a deal one way or the other to me either.  The problem is that the strong emotions and passionate arguments seem to come out more if you or someone else had said "I don't see it as a big deal either way, but I'll probably have any sons of mine circumcised as infants just because."   Then you get the arguments about not giving the child an informed choice in the matter and such.

personate-rain