0 (0%)
1 Year
0 (0%)
AND BEYYYYOND!
1 (20%)
Back on the wagon.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: So... How's that New Year's Resolution Thing Going?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
So... How's that New Year's Resolution Thing Going?
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Figured it'd be fun to track how long we've kept our resolutions for.  Also, never saw/made a poll this big before and I wanted to see if it could be done  :P.  Pretty easy really; vote when/if you fail.  Change your vote if you fail and pick it back up again.  Me?  I've 6 days without fast food so far so here's hoping!

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: So... How's that New Year's Resolution Thing Going?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
I have till the end of the month to achieve my resolution.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Vote for Jill Stein.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
I didn't make one.
Stay thirsty for knowledge my friends.
--The most interesting man in the world

Offline beans

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
I didn't make one either. I did however achieve my resolution for last year, which was to make a soufflé.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »
Let's see.  My resolutions are (1) to have more sex, and (2) to have no credit card debt by the end of the year.  So far so good :D
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Dr.PastaMaker

• My Pasta is Greattt!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Ph.D Pastamaking, Class of Spaghetti Omega
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:33 AM »
Mine is easy, gain weight.  Not lose it.
Science is amazing. Science is so amazing that if you were to try and disprove Science, you would have to use Science to do it.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Thanks for not leaving us abstainers out of the poll, EL. ;)
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
heres my 1 month check in for quitting smoking... fully cold turkey (no nicotene replacement) since 2 days after xmas. my original observations turned out correct for me.

#1 it is mostly just habits. like I noticed early on, the places/times throughout my day I'd always had a smoke at, I had the urge for a couple weeks. If I just ignored the urge for 5 minutes, the urge was gone.. onto the next.  my lesson = ignore it, it will pass.   

#2 the only real nicotene withdrawal symptom I've experienced is the insomnia. I'd wake up at 2-3am, and toss and turn for an hour, but then wake up at 6am perfectly rested..  strange, but tolerable!

I smoked for 23 yrs, peaking about 5 yrs ago at 3-4 packs a day, but quit smoking indoors when I moved in to my new apartment in 2009, so was down to about 1 pack a day when I quit last month. 

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »
I'm doing a mile every school day
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Vote for Jill Stein.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:43 AM »
heres my 1 month check in for quitting smoking... fully cold turkey (no nicotene replacement) since 2 days after xmas. my original observations turned out correct for me.

#1 it is mostly just habits. like I noticed early on, the places/times throughout my day I'd always had a smoke at, I had the urge for a couple weeks. If I just ignored the urge for 5 minutes, the urge was gone.. onto the next.  my lesson = ignore it, it will pass.   

#2 the only real nicotene withdrawal symptom I've experienced is the insomnia. I'd wake up at 2-3am, and toss and turn for an hour, but then wake up at 6am perfectly rested..  strange, but tolerable!

I smoked for 23 yrs, peaking about 5 yrs ago at 3-4 packs a day, but quit smoking indoors when I moved in to my new apartment in 2009, so was down to about 1 pack a day when I quit last month.

Congrats and props for being able to go cold turkey. I never liked ciggies but I do like a cigar now and then. Don't find them to be addicting although the nicotine buzz can be pretty strong. Although I had a Chinese cigarette once and I buzzed for hours on it. Probably had lead and DDT in it. :)

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »

Go go. Fuck that idiot. Id hate for him o be right! There For you have to quite!

Offline Citizen Skeptic

• Vote for Jill Stein.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »

Go go. Fuck that idiot. Id hate for him o be right! There For you have to quite!

Dude, you sound more lucid than usual. Whatever you're doing is working. :)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »
So far, no fast food for me :).  Now that's not to say I have been eating super healthy, but it's definitely cut down on the impulse eating.

I love this quote BTW.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 04:51:47 AM »
i didn't make any  resolutions... but i haven't had a cig since i got my e-cig, and i'm only using that thing once or twice a day. and i actually did some exercise this week. also, congrats kvuo.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
Does it mean I failed if I haven't even unpacked the treadmill yet?  :-\
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

personate-rain