Author Topic: The Offspring breaking up. Sort of at least.  (Read 176 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
The Offspring breaking up. Sort of at least.
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
The Offspring Embroiled In Legal Battle Of The Band With Former Bassist

The kids aren't alright, folks.

Gregory Kriesel, former bass player of The Offspring, has sued the remaining band members accusing them of devising a "scheme" to push him out of the group without fair compensation.

In response, Bryan "Dexter" Holland and Kevin "Noodles" Wasserman have filed a cross-complaint, denying basically everything Kriesel has alleged and asking the court to appoint "three disinterested appraisers to appraise the fair value" of Kriesel's shares of The Offspring.

Fun times! Let's go back to the first filing, shall we?

In a complaint filed in June in California's Orange County Superior Court, Kriesel laid out his version of the history of the band dating to 1983, including an alleged oral partnership agreement entered into 1986. Kriesel alleges that informed him on November 1, 2018 that he was "no longer entitled to participate in any activities of the band."

I haven't really been listening to or followed this band for years. While some of their songs are really good, over time my taste has evolved a bit, and there is much better stuff out there. And they take ridiculously long time to put out new music. They are a band who had their golden age in the 1990s, and they haven't succeeded in recreating that with their later stuff, even though some of it is good.

However, I really liked this band while being a kid and teenager, so they still have a place in my memory for that reason.

What I am most perplexed by is how persons who have been friends since at least teenage years, and played in a band together for over 30 years, could fall out with each other so badly. Like, what?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Re: The Offspring breaking up. Sort of at least.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »
Argh, this is far more common than uncommon. I've witnessed far more egregious things firsthand, in terms of original members being forced out and financially screwed. You'd think there would be enough to go around and everyone could be cool and come to an understanding, but money trumps friendship.
Also, an even split sounds great, but you quickly realize one person is doing more work than others, and some may even be dead weight. All of my friends in pro musician gigs are hired guns and the turn over in most bands is crazy, but if you're a hired gun there isn't much to gripe about, you either shut up and put up or quit. No messy legal stuff.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
Well, Dexter Holland writes their songs and is the frontman of the band, so I assume he gets more money as he puts more work into it. I'd guess such a set-up is quite common.

From what I am able to read out of it, the split was over the direction and future of the band. This seems to be pretty common. A band I like, System of a Down, hasn't put out a new record since 2005 because Serj Tankian and Daron Malakian can't agree on the direction of the band or what the new record should be like. If forced to bet, I'd say that SOAD will never put out a new record.

I guess for a band to stay around for long you need people who are on the same page on all the decisions for a long time, or one person who makes all the decisions. Or people who are willing to compromise.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »
Well, Dexter Holland writes their songs and is the frontman of the band, so I assume he gets more money as he puts more work into it. I'd guess such a set-up is quite common.
In my experience no situation is common. A lot of bands tend to come up together and go in enthusiastically as an even split. Over time that kind of wears itself out as musicians tend to be lazy as a rule and the few hard working ones tend to do all of the work, but a deal is a deal and the only way out is a split, a firing for cause, or a willing dissolution. I wouldn't bet the farm on Dexter getting more for doing most of the work. Publishing is the tricky part, and people share publishing with bandmates that don't technically write the songs because those people have supported them in other ways, or shaped the song.
I used to hang our with a drummer from NIN who played on a few records and wrote a bunch of material on an EP. He got publishing for what he wrote, and paid for when he worked, but Trent is NIN. When they parted ways his contributions and pay ended, except for publishing on the few songs he cowrote. On the flip side, I know a post punk band who splits it all 20% each, even though the guitarist writes the bulk of the material. There are all kinds of arrangements in between.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

personate-rain