Author Topic: Skeptically Speaking  (Read 1752 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Skeptically Speaking
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
I listened to this episode yesterday and it was utter fascinating. It's about female menstruating, and I heartily recommend that anyone who knows a woman listen to it. They correct some misinformation regarding the female menstrual cycle in the episode, and take a look at the evolution of human menstruation.

Also, fun fact, apparently there is a part in the cycle where women's hormone levels are so low that they are comparable to men's hormone levels. This is thought to be correlated with PMS. ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and the guest (who is a blogger as well as an anthropologist) did a followup post. I'm reading through it right now.

I also think it’s important to point out that many hypotheses developed about menstruation often forget that the monthly cycle is a very modern occurrence. Not only are modern cycles in women in industrialized populations not necessarily 28 days in the first place (in fact, see my Guest Blog post about this from December 2010), but our ancestors very likely menstruated 50-100 times rather than the 400 or so that is our norm. The reason for this is first that they probably had neutral or negative energy balances (because they moved around so much more, and likely ate less), but also because they were pregnant and breastfeeding through most of their reproductive years.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:06:55 PM by pandamonium »
I am become destroyer of biology.

personate-rain