Author Topic: 2011/2012 Beastnode SGU Minecraft server  (Read 19285 times)

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
2011/2012 Beastnode SGU Minecraft server
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

What is the Beastnode SGU Minecraft server? (updated 11th August 2012)
This server is a professionally hosted server for members of the SGU forum to play Minecraft on. This is ensured by using a whitelist. The server it runs is a current version of Craftbukkit with various plugins which can be accessed using a vanilla version of the Minecraft client you get from Mojang. No client side plugins are required although texture packs will make screen shots look more attractive. The current server supports a Minecraft client version 1.3.1 and above.
The server is in no way endorsed by the SGU team, they might not even know about it.

Who admins it?
Zytheran

How do I get access to it?
At the bottom of Zytheran's sig is a link to a Google Docs form which needs to be filled out, or right here!
Minecraft Server Application:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGhiLTNGTURwcFJ5aGM4NGk4eEJobWc6MQ

We prefer people who have come to the forums for the skeptical discussions primarily and like to see some forum discussion before people are granted access to the SGU Minecraft server. When you have been vetted and/or vouched for or otherwise stalked by Zytheran he will send you an intro email with the address of the server to enter into your Minecraft client.

What does it cost?
Various people have donated amounts between $5 and $25 although it is basically free. If you spend hours on it, enjoy it then donations are welcome. I have no expectations of donations and understand that everyone is in a different financial position.
Donations can be made through PayPal using the link below or via my email address from within PayPal and each player should have my email from the couple of emails I have sent out. Please make sure that your SGU or MC name is in some comment so I know who the money is from.
Link for Donations

Where is it located?
The server is physically in Chicago, USA as that was the best compromise for players from around the planet. This means that performance in places like Australia isn't always that great.

Some of the features:
We run the following plugins:
  • Essentials
  • GroupManager
  • LWC  (lockable chests, doors, etc.)
  • Multiverse Core
  • Multiverse Portals
  • World Edit (Admin only)

PvP is typically turned off.
Creeper damage is turned off.
A currency is available but no requests for using it.

Available Worlds
As we run Multiverse then various different maps are available. Some are older, some are newer and we run a few of Vech's super hostile maps. Please don't cheat on the super hostile by using some of the plugin commands, you're just cheating yourself.
The primary world you start from is Gliese_581d
Some images:http://photobucket.com/SGU_Minecraft_Gliese581d
Other worlds include Gliese_581g which was the first world on this new server.
The first world which supported Minecraft 1.0 features is Keppler_22e.
The most recent world is  Nemoris Crux and this is the world that should support the latest biomes and features.
To get there use the command /mv tp NemorisCrux.

Useful Plugin Instructions

Multiverse
The Multiverse addon allows us to run multiple worlds on the one server.
To get a list of worlds you can visit open up the chat input and type
/mv list
This will return a list of worlds.
The main worlds are currently gliese_581d, gliese_581g and the latest world NemorisCrux which supports all 1.2 features
To go to one of those worlds then type
/mv tp [world]
example
/mv tp Gliese_581g
These teleport commands will take you to the default spawn point on that world.
Multiverse Portals
Multiverse Portals currently allow an admin to set up an area than when you enter will teleport you to another world or another place on the same world. They can look like anything, even thin air or empty water.
There are currently 2 examples, one on top of the castle in Gliese 581d which goes to Zytheran's tower on Kepler 22e and one made of redstone ore on the ground near the castle that goes to the University on Gliese 581d. Signs on them explain where they go. If you want more just let me know from where to where you would like them but don't include the challenge worlds
Essentials
Essentials covers a range of functions of which the most useful is /back which will return you to your death location.
There is also the warp set of commands to help you move around. Warps are simply teleport locations. You can see a list of them by typing /warp list. To use a warp then type /warp [location].
Other movement commands include /home which returns you to your home, typically where you have you bed. You can change your home location by using the command /set home

I'll fill out more details below...

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:13:47 AM by Zytheran »

Offline Hekatombaion

• Off to a Start
Re: 2011/2012 Beastnode SGU Minecraft server
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:34 AM »
I like it but you should mention how to get to the other worlds. Is it just warp commands or are there portal coordinates to go step on?

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Thanks for starting the new thread - great intro!

I suggest that we modify our import/export rules a bit.  I propose that some worlds to be set up as "free trade" worlds, allowing unlimited import/export to those maps.  Specifically, I would like to include gleise 581 d and g, as well as SHIS2.  Any currently active challenge map would be under strict embargo, as well as any "frontier" worlds, such as Keppler 22e.

I think we might see more activity if people knew they could go to SHIS2 and harvest material to build a solid gold pyramid.  The victory monument there is as complete as it's going to get, so why not?

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »
Thanks for starting the new thread - great intro!

I suggest that we modify our import/export rules a bit.  I propose that some worlds to be set up as "free trade" worlds, allowing unlimited import/export to those maps.  Specifically, I would like to include gleise 581 d and g, as well as SHIS2.  Any currently active challenge map would be under strict embargo, as well as any "frontier" worlds, such as Keppler 22e.

I think we might see more activity if people knew they could go to SHIS2 and harvest material to build a solid gold pyramid.  The victory monument there is as complete as it's going to get, so why not?

Yep good idea and agree with world selection. I'll have a look at what I can enforce from the server POV.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
Minecraft 1.2 is out
http://www.mojang.com/2012/03/minecraft-1-2-is-out/

IMPORTANT
If you upgrade your client it might not work with our server which is still 1.1.
When the server code is updated we'll be going over to 1.2.

Offline AnarchistBunny

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:03 AM »
The good news is that Mojang hired the Bukkit server crew to make the official Minecraft server hosting software, so probably by 1.3 or 1.4 there won't be the delay between release and updating the server since the Bukkit Server will be built in.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »
The good news is that Mojang hired the Bukkit server crew to make the official Minecraft server hosting software, so probably by 1.3 or 1.4 there won't be the delay between release and updating the server since the Bukkit Server will be built in.
Awesome news. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline hasculf

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
I did the application thing, just curious, will I get info by email? No rush, just excited to join. :)

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
I did the application thing, just curious, will I get info by email? No rush, just excited to join. :)
Yep, I'll send you an email with the details..

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:36 AM »
Crowskie and hasculf, please proceed to your email account for details on how to be Creeperfied... 8)

Offline hasculf

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
Got it, but keep getting a "took too long to log in" message :( trying to find a way to get it to connect.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Got it, but keep getting a "took too long to log in" message :( trying to find a way to get it to connect.
If you can, please check another MC server you might have access to. I had horrendous lag in the past 24 hours and couldn't stay logged in without java exceptions..  :-\
Anyone else having issues with connecting to our server?

Offline Meeyola

• Brand New
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
I have the same problem, but I thought it was because I updated minecraft and was just waiting for the server to be updated.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
I have the same problem, but I thought it was because I updated minecraft and was just waiting for the server to be updated.
Hmm, if you updated your client you could be getting a clear error, we're still on 1.1 on the server.
There is a 1.2 server available however I need to check all the addon's we run, in particular multiworlds. It's also still in the buggy phase.
However should be good by the weekend if history repeats.

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
So, this happened:

http://www.minetoys.com/

personate-rain