Author Topic: So...classical music...  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Samhain

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: So...classical music...
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:53 AM »
Edit: For the life of me....I cannot figure out how to get these videos to embed.

Just copy & paste the tube link, there's an auto embed feature.

Welcome to the forums :)

ETA: There's a limit to the number of tubes that can be embedded per page, though. I don't recall the exact number, I think it may be 12. When that happens, the auto embed feature enters auto linkify mode. There will also be a short warning along with the link explaining such.

Good to know....thanks!

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
I tinker with musical compositions every so often. Most of the stuff I write would fall into the "classical" category.

I'd be really, really happy if I ever came up with anything 1/10 as good as Schumann's 2nd Symphony.

I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
And I would be remiss if I did not bring up my old Fantasia 2000 thread.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
I listen to a lot of classical music (a lot of it thanks to CBC radio2), and I know this might very well get me fired from Canada and from this thread, but I have to say it.

I don't like Glenn Gould and the Goldberg variations bore me.

Also, the impressionists (Debussy, Ravel, etc.) suck. And Wagner was a megalomaniac and I dislike his style intensely.

I prefer the piano concertos of Haydn and Mozard, anything by Chopin, love the blazing, haughty genius of Prokofiev, the tranquil pieces by Shostakovich, the crazy violin stylings of Paganini, and some more modern pipe organ pieces. But really, as long as you stay away from Debussy and Wagner I won't complain.

Edit:
Mozard! Sounds like some kind of cheese.

Well, he can be quite cheesy. An opera with a parrot as a major character, anyone?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:27:42 PM by random poet »
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
No love for the Rimsky-Korsikov yet?

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
For many years, I did not care for Debussy or those soft Romantics like him. But, somehow I've acquired a taste, and now have a Debussy channel on Pandora.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 01:15:28 AM »
I don't like Glenn Gould and the Goldberg variations bore me.

Also, the impressionists (Debussy, Ravel, etc.) suck. And Wagner was a megalomaniac and I dislike his style intensely.

I prefer the piano concertos of Haydn and Mozard, anything by Chopin, love the blazing, haughty genius of Prokofiev, the tranquil pieces by Shostakovich, the crazy violin stylings of Paganini, and some more modern pipe organ pieces. But really, as long as you stay away from Debussy and Wagner I won't complain.

While we're on composers that suck:
No offense, random poet, but OMG I hate Chopin. His music sounds like an autistic 5-year-old programmed a music box to me. Every piece. Even the ones I've never heard before. I freaked my wife out while driving once; we switched to a classical station in the middle of a piece and I said "YACK it's Chopin" and she said "I don't believe you; you can't tell just from that ten seconds of music" so we listened to the end and the announcer said "That was Soandso Number 47 by Chopin" and I said "HA."

I used to like Wagner more than I do now. I think he got overplayed.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Cybrmynd

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
Yeah, generally I like classical music. I enjoy listening to a lot of Bach and occasionally Beethoven. I don't consider myself a baroque or romantic fan, however. I gravitate towards people like Bartok and Ravel. I enjoy them purely because of its ambiguous and sometimes, dark nature. I also love Schoenberg and twelve-tone music in most of its forms I've listened. I gained an interest in Schoenberg during my first year of music school.

One thing I don't like in classical music, is opera singing. I've seen enough of it at school to be put off by it. I respect the technique it requires, but the art doesn't really bind with me.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
No love for the Rimsky-Korsikov yet?
(click to show/hide)
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline YouSayPotato

• Off to a Start
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
Love Bach, esp when GG's playing it.

GG also does some early music too.

And Andrew Manze's 'Devil's Trills' kicks ass.

Don't forget Bartok and Ives.

"Who you jivin' with that cozmik debris?"
FZ

personate-rain
personate-rain