Author Topic: SGU 5x5 #112  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU 5x5 #112
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Anecdotal Evidence
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
Re: SGU 5x5 #112
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »
I listened to the podcast yesterday, and I think at times one of the rogues conflated anecdotal evidence with hearsay evidence.

I'm not an attorney, but I have testified in court in criminal matters and have had to tiptoe around hearsay objections.

Here's my understanding of the difference via an example...

Let's say Jay was accused of a crime in Boston. Bob is called to the stand and testifies that at the time of the crime, he saw Jay in Las Vegas at TAM. That's anecdotal, but fully admissible as an alibi.

What's not admissible, and hearsay, is to call Rebecca to the stand to testify that Bob had told her that he had seen Jay at TAM.

The logic is that in that case, why not call Bob and hear it from the horse's mouth - not call someone who just heard him say it (hence, hearsay).

As stated, there are narrow exemptions to hearsay exclusions, but in general it's not OK to testify what someone told you.

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
Intro narrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »
Who's the 5x5 intro narrator -- the guy with the (I assume genuine) British accent?

Offline ufo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
I too have a calorie burning monitor.  It is an old CRT monitor and weighs about 50 lbs.  I lift it over my head and burn about 100c each time.  :)
The spiteful and smiteful Abrahamaic God is the most unpleasant character in all of fiction.

I don't have a god-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a reason-shaped hole in your head!

From The Onion:  "God answers paralyzed boy's prayer.  Gods answer: 'No!'  "

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
Re: Intro narrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Who's the 5x5 intro narrator -- the guy with the (I assume genuine) British accent?
No takers on this query?

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:26:42 AM »
No takers on this query?
Okay ... so why am I askin'?
R-gu-ment from authority ... SGU is mostly an American project. So the narrator should be an American. British accents CAN convey a a FALSE sense of "formalism" or sophistication (the Queen's English, etc.) -- I have a sneaking suspicion that's why it was orig. chosen. Not just me  that notices it -- I intro'd the 5x5 to some plain ol' avg American folks and many noted that opening accent: That it sounds snobby and that it calls attn TO ITSELF.
I think 5x5 should dump that narration ... a U.S. "Mid-Western" should work and may be best. No NY/New England (sorry NESS) and fuggitbout the Fargo MinneSOOOOOTA Northern or Canadian accent. U.S. South, Bayou, ' Orleans ... maybe later ;) 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:29:20 AM by hollow-man »

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:11:17 AM »
I think 5x5 should dump that narration ... a U.S. "Mid-Western" should work and may be best. No NY/New England (sorry NESS) and fuggitbout the Fargo MinneSOOOOOTA Northern or Canadian accent. U.S. South, Bayou, ' Orleans ... maybe later ;)

Like this, perhaps?

Howdy, y'all. This here is the Skeptics Guide 5x5 -- I guess that's named after a new sorta Hummer or sumthin' -- five minutes of un-American stuff by five of them there liberal commie God-hatin' skeptic folks!

Seriously, though .. if the problem is that you think a British accent gives the impression of more authority than an American one then I don't think removing the British accent is the proper solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:13:18 AM by Trinoc »
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:27 AM »

Like this, perhaps?

Howdy, y'all. This here is the Skeptics Guide 5x5 -- I guess that's named after a new sorta Hummer or sumthin' -- five minutes of un-American stuff by five of them there liberal commie God-hatin' skeptic folks!

Seriously, though .. if the problem is that you think a British accent gives the impression of more authority than an American one then I don't think removing the British accent is the proper solution to the problem.
Again, my comment was mostly based on what OTHERS (= non-self-proclaimed skeptics -- but topically interested) have told me upon my suggestion that they give the Podcast a shot via iTunes.
The "authority" sounds and comes across as fake because EVEN Joe 6-pack can notice a PSEUDO attempt at sounding sophisticated.

All that noted ... we have no REAL way of knowing why that Brit. narrator was chosen for an American Podcast, do we?

Offline Shadow Of A Doubt

• Well Established
  • Talk to the whiskers
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »
Hollow-man, the country needs more patriots like yourself!

:patriot:
"What, are you also proposing some magical colour midway between black and white?  Shall we call it "whack", maybe, or "blite"?  Nice imagination there, buddy."
amysrevenge

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »
EVEN Joe 6-pack in the US

You missed out an important point, there, imo...

As someone not from anywhere near the US, a british accent doesnt sound any more pretentious or fake than a US accent would.

As for the reasoning you asked about: IIRC, the intro voice for the main SGU podcast was originally recorded by Jay's wife (now ex-wife). Im guessing the 5x5 intro was chosen to be a similar accent for the sake of continuity and "brand recognition".
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
I wanna know why we trust these college edumacated yankees with their New England Atlantic Coast accents.  Obviously, they are trying to sound sophisticated...oh, wait, never mind.  :laugh:
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Daws

• Seasoned Contributor
  • "Like a clam over my hard tummy!"
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »
I just wanna say YAY to having the 5x5 back regularly! I stopped checking for new ones some time last years and only just now noticed new ones posted.

I hope you guys keep it up in posting a new one every week or so, for it's a lot easier to share, say on facebook, than the whole podcast wherein you just want people to know about one little part of (I usually end up just sharing links to the stories themselves), and therein I think will help get more exposure to the skeptics guide in general.
"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." -Billy Joel, 1993

personate-rain
personate-rain