Author Topic: I make games as a hobby  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
I make games as a hobby
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
So I make card games, program simple computer games, and design board games as a hobby.  I have a particular board game design that is built around the notion of the prisoner's dilemma.  The idea was to create a simple game that could be used to teach probability as well as notions of social capital, trade, and cooperation.  I'm satisfied enough with it that I'm thinking I might try and make it as a board game rather than just program a proof of concept.  I am interested in feedback though, so here's the rules:

--- The Goal ---
(click to show/hide)

--- The Board ---
(click to show/hide)

--- Set Up ---
(click to show/hide)

--- A Round ---
(click to show/hide)

--- Taking a Turn ---
(click to show/hide)

--- Rolling ---
(click to show/hide)

--- Building ---
(click to show/hide)

--- Trading ---
(click to show/hide)
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: I make games as a hobby
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
So I play tested it with a few friends and a couple of rules need to be changed.  When two cities have overlapping surrounding spaces they need to be able to both build roads there rather than neither.  Roads need to cost 2 gold (which we started calling points) instead of 3.  Also instead of 6 being a "nothing happens roll" it should be treated like a wild (whatever the person who rolls wants).  When we made those changes the game went twice as quickly, was more strategic and diplomatic, and nobody got shut out because they were largely blocked in due to their starting position.

I programmed a quick java mock up for the game (though I haven't programmed in trading yet).  Anyone familiar with any free open networking system that I could use to make multiplayer possible?  I mean doing multiplayer on a single machine is easy, but I'm not really a network coder.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
 :munch:
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
Anyone familiar with any free open networking system that I could use to make multiplayer possible?

If you have a webserver that you can use, Id just do it with web scripting. A little bit of ASP/PHP on the server and you can just send requests to the server and process them with nearly any language you want. Have a look at AJAX (dynamic server communication with javascript and XML) for the type of thing...
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »
Anyone familiar with any free open networking system that I could use to make multiplayer possible?

If you have a webserver that you can use, Id just do it with web scripting. A little bit of ASP/PHP on the server and you can just send requests to the server and process them with nearly any language you want. Have a look at AJAX (dynamic server communication with javascript and XML) for the type of thing...

Yeah, but then I've got to port the thing to javascript from java.  Or rather move all the calculations server side to prevent cheating.  Plus I really don't want to have to host a server for this, I would rather use direct connections or some intermediary service.  I mean I could do it using iChat on OS X, but then I'm limited to playing with the other 6-8% of people who use OS X.  Oh well, off to LAMP/WAMP world I go.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
Well... you could always just directly program some networking code in Java. Set up sockets associated with player IPs, send and recieve data over TCP.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
Well... you could always just directly program some networking code in Java. Set up sockets associated with player IPs, send and recieve data over TCP.

Yeah.  And that's the stuff I've never had to do.  It's alright, I"m a javascript guru as is.  Though I'm used to working in ASP, but there's no way in hell I'm going to buy a server addition of windows, so I'm gonna have to use PHP instead.  I'll open source it when I'm done.

Offline ricree

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
Yeah, but then I've got to port the thing to javascript from java.  Or rather move all the calculations server side to prevent cheating.  Plus I really don't want to have to host a server for this, I would rather use direct connections or some intermediary service.  I mean I could do it using iChat on OS X, but then I'm limited to playing with the other 6-8% of people who use OS X.  Oh well, off to LAMP/WAMP world I go.

I think Amazon has a free instance size.

Heroku does as well.

personate-rain