Author Topic: Natural Cleaning Clothes with SILVER?  (Read 19956 times)

Offline AmyKollarAnderson

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.kollaranderson.com
Natural Cleaning Clothes with SILVER?
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has heard of these and if this could be true...
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/03/21/cleaning-without-chemicals/

I basically clean with vinager, so I already keep it simple, but just curious what others have to say.
heck out my art...
www.kollaranderson.com

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Natural Cleaning Clothes with SILVER?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
Yes, silver kills bacteria. Don't know about this particular application, though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline drizz

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
Oh good heavens, Norwex. I have encountered these magic cloths, and as you might suspect, they are a scam. First of all they are nothing more than microfibre cloths. If this is what you are looking for get some from Costco; the price is around 1/10th of what you will pay to Norwex.

As for the silver angle, this is something new they just added to their product in the last few years, presumably because overcharging people for plain microfibre was becoming a little transparent. There is almost no plausibility argument here, and there is no research suggesting that having colloidal silver inside your cloth has any antibacterial properties. Norwex themselves will produce a few "studies" if asked about it, but they are crap and in no way demonstrate what they are claiming.

At the end of the day this is just another MLM scheme. My wife went to one of the presentations and related the following anecdote:

The salesperson at the presentation takes a raw chicken breast and wipes it on the counter. Then she wipes the counter with a Norwex cloth. Then, she wipes off her own hands with the same cloth, and proceeds to lick her fingers. And that's it. That's your sales pitch. She shows you how much she believes in it; of course you have no idea if she just got lucky, or even if she gets uncontrollable vomiting the next day, but at least she trusts the product!

Stay away from this stuff, it is obscenely overpriced. If you're looking for microfibre, go to Costco.

Also, I will now type Norwex a few times so that this post will show up in a Google search and we get the sales reps in here to defend their ridiculous product. Norwex. Norwex. Does Norwex work? Norwex.

Norwex.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »
I don't trust anyone that uses that many quotation marks in a blog post.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
Colloidal silver is an antibacterial agent, but I don't know if it can work the way it is described.    Why not use paper towel and rubbing alcohol?  Or just soap and water.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
I haven't read the blog post, but I know that there is research into using silver nanoparticles in hospitals on things like door handles, washing taps, surfaces and clothing and possibly bedding and dressings.

It is a part of the whole battle against anti-biotic resistance.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
It works well in swimming pools.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:15:53 AM »
It works well in swimming pools.
I prefer to fill my swimming pools with money and gold coins.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:35 AM »
gooby pls
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain